Anyone training for Sprint Triathalons?

Options
So, I'm down 44 pounds, I have competed in a few races (lol I'm slooow). My next goal is a sprint triathalon. Is there anyone else doing the same thing?

Replies

• srellsworth
    srellsworth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done a few. They are fun and keep you from getting burned out on one type of training. Find someone local to help you get started in open water. Even strong pool swimmers can get a little whacked out in murky water with all the thrashing going on.

Find a smaller local one to start with and borrow a bike. There is no reason to get a bunch of high zoot gear until you have been at it a while.

Key rules are to work hard and have fun.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint a few years ago. I'm totally hooked now. Throughout the winter I mostly just run and lift because that's what I enjoy most. Usually around April I start to hit the pool and pull out the bike.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strong on the bike, in general I tolerate running and I hate swimming. That is my weakest area. Thankfully, I live in Honolulu so I've got plenty of access to open water. I'm just nervous about swimming with hundreds of people.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You are lucky! Lot's of opportunity to practice open water swims! It does get easier with practice. As for the race day chaos with all the people - I found that my first year it was helpful to start at the back of the pack on the side farthest from the buoy. Yes it increased the distance I had to swim slightly, but the increased comfort I felt in avoiding most of the chaos was worth it.
    FYI - there is a triathlete group on the boards. It's fairly quiet this time of year, but still lots of good people with a variety of experiences to share.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/88-triathletes-duathletes
  • Holly92154
    Options
    Thank you, that is really helpful. I just added the group ;)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Holly92154 wrote: »
    I'm pretty strong on the bike, in general I tolerate running and I hate swimming. That is my weakest area. Thankfully, I live in Honolulu so I've got plenty of access to open water. I'm just nervous about swimming with hundreds of people.

You know... there is that really big race near you that happens every October ;)

Wrong island though...
  • Holly92154
    Options
    Lol half the races I want to do are on the wrong island ;) I'm going to do the Haleiwa Spring Triathalon in North Shore.
    glevinso wrote: »
    Holly92154 wrote: »

You know... there is that really big race near you that happens every October ;)

Wrong island though...

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I was kinda kidding. I mean Ironman Kona.
  • jasbingham
    Options
    Ha ha I'm in UK, first one but need to shift a few pounds first