Lifting weights for a beginner

Options
Hi,

I am a female in the process of losing weight. I have about 50lbs to lose. I don't want to just lose weight but instead also want to gain muscle and the body definition that we get from lifting weights. But I am lost. I do well when I have a program to follow. I was wondering if any of you all have a weightlifting program that works with beginners and goes all the way to advanced? Are these programs like P90X, Rushfit, Insanity all similar to lifting weights and gaining strength or are they not strength training routines? Pls help. Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While you're losing weight, you mainly want to concentrate on minimizing muscle loss -- while you can have some "newbie" muscle gain while eating at a deficit, you can't put on a whole heck of a lot of muscle doing it. But just keeping what you have puts you far ahead of where most dieters are when they get to to end-game.

That said, any routine that incorporates overall resistance training of the muscles (either body weight or other weights) will help keep your body convinced that the muscle is essential, and to go after something else while it's trying to find stuff to burn.

You can also go the classic strength training route (barbells). Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are both highly regarded beginner programs. If you're still at those in a year or two, *then* worry about moving up to an intermediate level. Or bodyweight strength training (You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning) might be more up your alley. Everybody's different.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Agree with the previous poster and will add that with the the two lifting programs will teach you the lifts that you can continue to use through advanced programs. The lifts don't change as you advance mostly just the weight progression and schedules.
  • jserana
    jserana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    P90X is heavy strength training with a bit of cardio while Insanity is heavy cardio with a bit of resistance training. I wouldn't recommend either one for beginners. My favorite is Chalean Extreme. Jillian Michaels has a lot of workouts too but she's more on endurance training rather than strength (i.e light weights, high reps) so I would recommend her if you can't lift more than 10lbs yet. My favorite from her is Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Both the workouts I mentioned are 90 days program. Hope that helps and good luck in your fitness goal! :)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I suggest picking up a copy of 'New rules of lifting for women.' It's full of useful information for beginners and it has 3 stages of routines.

There's a group on here for it. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

• Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I just downloaded the Stronglifts app and hope to have some good results.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    I was hoping to do something that doesn't involve deadlifts or barbell press. Or can we do it with just dumbells instead of the long rod with weights on the end (sorry don't know if it has a name). Do you think I will be able to achieve same results by using just dumbells in the strong lifts program? Thank you!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    I was hoping to do something that doesn't involve deadlifts or barbell press. Or can we do it with just dumbells instead of the long rod with weights on the end (sorry don't know if it has a name). Do you think I will be able to achieve same results by using just dumbells in the strong lifts program? Thank you!!

It is possible do do stronglifts with dumbbell variations, but you will find that you will be limited because dumbells don't increase in weight in small increments and at some point it will be too difficult to lift dumbbells into the start position (as opposed to just unracking a barbell).

Why don't you want to use a barbell?
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting weights go to fitnessblender.com they have free videos and you can select the body area you want to work on. Daniel and Kelly walk you through everything so you will do it properly. They also have programs you can purchase for like 10.00 they open in Adobe and take you right to the corresponding workout on there website. Currently I am doing both Insanity Max 30 Modifier (for a foot issue) and Fitness Blender workouts for strength.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Jamie Eason's live fit trainer for starting out. You can get it on bodybuilding.com and it's free. I also did Stronglifts which is great too BUT I found it was hard to keep up after a while in a caloric deficit. A lot of my friends are doing Strong Curves (all about the booty) and several swear by NROLFW.
  • minniemickey
    Options
    Thank you for the inputs! I will look at the other programs mentioned as well.

@auddii I don't know! It just intimidates me. I know its in the head but I don't want to look like a fat girl trying to grab all the attention when using the barbell when I only see hunky men using it at my gym all the time. Also, I heard stories of injuries from not using it correctly. May be when I lose a couple of pounds, I can ask a trainer to show me the form.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inputs! I will look at the other programs mentioned as well.

@auddii I don't know! It just intimidates me. I know its in the head but I don't want to look like a fat girl trying to grab all the attention when using the barbell when I only see hunky men using it at my gym all the time. Also, I heard stories of injuries from not using it correctly. May be when I lose a couple of pounds, I can ask a trainer to show me the form.

I think asking a trainer at a gym is a great idea. I have to admit, now that I've discovered the barbell, I love it! It's definitely intimidating at first, and when I started lifting I was 230lbs, so I definitely understand. But, I love feeling strong!

Staci from nerd fitness had a great series about strength training 101 (feel free to ignore everything about eating clean):
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/28/strength-training-101/

And this is great for addressing being the girl in the weight section:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/03/05/101-equipment/
  • minniemickey
    Options
    Oh that's great! Thank you @auddii
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat and bought Chalean Extreme because I liked Chalene from her Turbo Jam DVDs. I LOVE it. I have gone through the program several times. I am 39 and a I had already lost over 60 lbs. I got Chalean Extreme when I started maintaining my weight and I went from a size 6/7 to a 3/4 because it tightened everything up. It lacks a little in the ab workout though.

I also liked X-TrainFit but the workouts a kinda long and slow. If I hadn't done Chalean Extreme first I don't think I would have had a good enough foundation for XTrainFit.