How to increase iron and calcium, but not carbs or sugars?

Options
Any ideas? I seem to be running a 50% deficit almost daily on my iron intake and and 25-40% deficit on calcium. How can I increase these without increasing my sugars or carbs? I generally eat a green juice smoothie in the morning or yogurt and fruit with a teaspoon of honey. Lunch is a salad of some sort with beans or chicken. Dinner is usually protein and veggies. I guess I need more protein and the right kind of vegetables?

I know I can take supplements, but would prefer to try and get them through my food intake...

Replies

• jennyvivian
    jennyvivian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is an amazing source of calcium. I put it in my shakes. :) also "green leafy veggies" are good for iron - especially spinach. You could use spinach for your salads or you could make smoothies with it. It blends really well and the taste is covered fairly easy. I love strawberry banana spinach smoothies. Yum! Hope this helps!!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Blood sausage consistently tops lists of iron-rich foods. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, you don't seem to be a vegetarian, so why not simply eat some more meat for the iron?

If you like seafood, clams are actually surprisingly rich in iron.
  • Rlyn444
    Rlyn444 Posts: 27
    Options
    Iron Rick foods would be like:
    Spinach, artichokes, eggs, broccoli, potatoes, beans, dried fruit but those have sugar

Calcium foods such as:
    Almonds, broccoli, collards, avocados, onions, green beans, cabbage, asparagus, celery, and others
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be weary that all of myfitnesspal food's don't have calcium or iron numbers inputted.
  • ava5764
    ava5764 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anchovies and tofu are good too if you like them.
  • NutritionNut
    NutritionNut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best sources of calcium will be dairy products, dried beans and legumes, and dark leafy greens. Almonds do contain some calcium as well, but not necessarily a calcium "rich" source. Except leafy greens and almonds or fortified unsweetened almond milk, most will sources will contain carb, natural or processed sugar. As for iron, again dark leafy greens, dried beans/legumes and iron fortified foods. Unfortunately greens naturally have a less absorbable form of iron compared to animal proteins so make sure you eat them with something acidic (vinegar based dressing, tomatoes, citrus fruits, etc.) to help with absorption. Worst case scenario, take an additional calcium or iron supplement daily if you're finding it hard to obtain through whole food sources.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that some MFP database entries are missing the data for micronutrients; some food labels don't contain it, and some lazy people don't enter it. You are probably consuming more iron and calcium than you think.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Google foods "high in iron" and "high in calcium" and eat the ones you like! :)