Breast feeding momma

Options
Looking for help/tips/support. I know you aren't supposed to hard core diet while breast feeding, but I'd still like to see some weight loss. I lost 20lbs right off the bat. Now I'd like to lose at least another 15 lbs. I'm focusing on meal portion control right now as I know that even for breast feeding i was consuming far too many calories. Exercise is currently though to fit in with this cold winter weather we are having. I'm looking forward to the summer when I can take the stroller out for long walks!

Replies

• tawaddell7
    Options
    Struggling with the same thing here! And trying to make sure that I am getting enough nutrients to keep breastfeeding and lose weight! It's a difficult balance! What has helped me is getting a fitbit. I don't feel like I can do too much with my diet except eat healthy (I am ravenous all the time due to BF!) but exercising more I feel will help! Also, doing exercise inside if possible. I go to the gym when I can but with an 8 week old and a husband that works long daylight hours, it's almost impossible! So I use my Xbox and play a Zumba game on there. Atleast I'm moving! I can't wait for warm stroller weather!
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BFing here, too. I started Monday with 2000 as my goal, no exercise (just to see what happened to my supply)...I totally killed my supply. I'm eating enough, but I guess what I was eating to now was just a big jump (embarrassing) my milk stalled.
    I will happily give support if you have any tips on how to keep supply up!
  • shellssz
    shellssz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Im also a nursing mother :) I have a 10 month old boy. Since he is older and also eats solids, I finally feel ok with counting calories! Not necessarily "dieting", as I am just eating healthy ! I gained 62lb while pregnant -quit smoking in the beginning, had thyroid issues, and didn't want to see how much I was gaining. I'll never let that happen again! I have lost all of it though! Now im ready to lose about 15lbs more to be at my goal weight!! We can do this :) Ill add you guys!
  • jetsaves
    jetsaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends please add me. Exclusively nursing my 8 week old and needing to lose 50lbs. Want to do do without effecting my milk supply.
  • lydiaanne1977
    lydiaanne1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My little one is 2 1/2 months old. I just sent you a request :)
  • MamaRoarsome
    Options
    I'm gonna add you mamas. I'm exclusively bf'ing my 4 week old right now. I lost all my pregnancy weight, but want to lose the 15 lbs I gained before getting pregnant to get back to what I was when I successfully lost before. I'm trying to lessen my calories, I was eating too much, but focus more on healthy eating since I was eating all junk and adding in some exercise. I started over since I no longer have access to my email that was linked to my last account.
  • jkeyes87
    Options
    Hi! FTM here. Just started going back to work this week. Trying to eat healthier to get back to prepregnancy weight (and lower preferably). My little princess will be 3 months old on Monday
  • whitterlove
    whitterlove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'm exclusively breastfeeding my little girl, who will be 4 months tomorrow. It's hard finding a balance between eating enough and not eating too much. I'm wanting to get back to pre pregnancy weight but finding it harder to do this time around.
  • sharhally145
    sharhally145 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also exclusively breastfeeding but have a good amount to lose so didn't want to wait till I finished. I've read that a bf mum needs about 500 extra cals a day so I added 500 cals to my recommended allowance. I've only jut started so I'll have to wait and see if that works.
  • ebeard3
    ebeard3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Baby #4 is 2.5 months and EBF. I have 20 lbs to lose. I'm on day 5 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I'm trying to eat better and I'm starting Couch to 5K on Monday. I plan to run 3 days a week, and do Jillian michaels workouts the other 3 days, taking a break on Sunday's. I don't think it's a bad thing to count calories while nursing, just don't cut them to an extreme and choose better options, good calories/protein. You can also eat things like oatmeal with fruit and choose water as both are known to help your supply.
  • jkeyes87
    jkeyes87 Posts: 26
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love 30 day shred. One of the few workout videos where I've seen actual improvement in such a short time. I tried it for a couple days before the holidays but I don't think my body was quite ready for it yet. Still getting used to getting up early for work but hopefully I can pick it back up again soon

ETA: I also like C25k too and hopefully will be starting that when it gets a little less icy. I'm a klutz already, no need to add extra elements! :smile:
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! Im still breastfeeding my 1 yr old. Ive never been a fan of "dieting" but if you just make sure that what you are eating is nutrient rich you can cut down the amount your eating, and feel full. Try to remember that it took 9 months for your body to get there, give it atleast that long to come back. Dont be too hard on yourselves. One thing to remember is that your body will always feed your baby first, so it will pull the nutrients to continue your milk supply from your body. So eat when your hungry, eat high nutrient density foods and stay very hydrated. Things that can affect your milk supply are birth control pills and antihistamines. Hope this helps! Mommy bodies are beautiful!
  • nicolapeters690
    nicolapeters690 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm EBF my almost 3 month old. This is baby #2 . I have 35lbs till I reach my pre pregnancy with #1 which I was so close to before I got preg again lol. I just do light cardio every other day.. I'm trying so hard to eat healthy. Add me ladies. . :-)
  • amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I nursed my youngest for 2 years. He weaned last year but I can definitely say, put your supply first. Be mindful of that diaper count.

If you are cutting calories, count how many wet diapers baby is having, http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/enough-milk/ as long as baby's count is good, you are good. Oatmeal and lots of water will keep those supplies up.

Main thing, just eat healthy, be active and love on those babies!
  • lydiaanne1977
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive responses. I've added a bunch of you already. Hoping to at least fit back into my old bathing suits and clothes by cottage season :) I can't live in leggings forever (although I am super comfortable!)
  • cmcrain
    Options
    Hello, I am also an exclusively Breastfeeding mom, to a 5 month old daughter. I am looking to lose about 50 lbs and would love some new friends to help motivate me! I go to a stroller fitness class 4 times a week and yoga once a week. I am a healthy eater in general, but I am trying to watch what I eat better and push myself during workouts a little more to start getting back in shape while keeping my supply up. If I notice a supply drop I am going to start pumping once a day to battle it. Feel free to add me!
  • tmlq
    tmlq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can all you ladies add me as well? Definitely feeling the same way.
    Have 8 week old and I think I am affecting my supply....think I just need way more water. Have about 70lbs to lose. Have not started exercise, planning on starting jogging on treadmill until warmer weather appears. It's been -30C this week!
  • AnnieJ23
    AnnieJ23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 8 week old as exclusively as my body will let me. I'm fighting supply issues due to hypothyroid problems that the doctor doesn't want to treat me for :neutral_face:

As such, I very conscious of my supply. I'm also very conscious of my waist line as it has grown in the last few weeks. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the balance and being okay being huge. (I am huge, it's fact, not a put down.)
  • lydiaanne1977
    Options
    I had trouble with milk supply after my c-section and was prescribed domperidone. That really helped get things going, and I've been generally ok since. I hope that drinking plenty of fluids will keep things in check.
  • heathercerta
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 12 month old! I finally feel ok counting calories and losing weight. I tried twice before and my supply totally tanked, and I would like to wean soonish anyway, so I'm not worried about my supply at this point.

I gained about 25 pounds from nursing!!! So embarrassing!