Gain weight or lose weight?

Options
stephaniejmnz
stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
Alright so I'm 5'4 and I weigh 112 lbs (upon waking up) I used to be around 122 but had a lot of fat on me. I started working out a few months ago and have lost weight, but somehow my stomach fat has not budged. I was told to do strength training (I've started strong lifts) but was also told to eat at a small deficit to lose some fat. I can't afford to lose anymore weight as I am already on the low side. What should I do in terms of nutrition? Eat at a surplus or deficits? Currently I am only doing stronglifts and don't do cardio

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose any more weight you can either eat at maintenance and work on body recomposition or eat at a surplus and focus on muscle gaining. Recomposition is very slow; it could take years. Eating at a surplus can be hard for people mentally because you will gain both muscle and fat. The theory is you bulk for a period of time (usually several months if not longer), and then cut (eat at a deficit) to lose the fat you gained during the bulk. Then you repeat the process until you have the body you like.

I have never done either (I still have a lot of weight to lose), but it's going to be personal preference for what you want to do. From what I've seen, people can get frustrated doing either method - recomp takes to long and you don't see results, bulking you give up early because you're afraid of getting fat.

Which ever method you do, definitely keep up the lifting; strong lifts is a great beginner program.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue. It's my understanding that you just need to change WHAT you're eating. Up your protein and lift heavy. Your weight on a scale might go up, but your waist should get smaller and more tucked in. You should still eat at a deficit because you are still losing FAT. Just focus more on your fat percentage than the scale number.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I have this same issue. It's my understanding that you just need to change WHAT you're eating. Up your protein and lift heavy. Your weight on a scale might go up, but your waist should get smaller and more tucked in. You should still eat at a deficit because you are still losing FAT. Just focus more on your fat percentage than the scale number.

I just got scared when I saw my weight because I'm trying to GAIN, you know? But because I have that fat on my stomach I don't know which way to go. I'm attempting to eat healthier and I'm logging my calories, but I have trouble just figuring out what to eat and if I should eat more or less
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you don't want to lose any more weight you can either eat at maintenance and work on body recomposition or eat at a surplus and focus on muscle gaining. Recomposition is very slow; it could take years. Eating at a surplus can be hard for people mentally because you will gain both muscle and fat. The theory is you bulk for a period of time (usually several months if not longer), and then cut (eat at a deficit) to lose the fat you gained during the bulk. Then you repeat the process until you have the body you like.

I have never done either (I still have a lot of weight to lose), but it's going to be personal preference for what you want to do. From what I've seen, people can get frustrated doing either method - recomp takes to long and you don't see results, bulking you give up early because you're afraid of getting fat.

Which ever method you do, definitely keep up the lifting; strong lifts is a great beginner program.

So those are my only options? Either or? I can't just change my diet to cut out all the fast food and just general "bad" foods and lift? I know I sound naive I just wish there was a way I didn't have to bulk then cut because it seems like so many people just focus on healthy eating and lifting and somehow that works on them
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

So those are my only options? Either or? I can't just change my diet to cut out all the fast food and just general "bad" foods and lift? I know I sound naive I just wish there was a way I didn't have to bulk then cut because it seems like so many people just focus on healthy eating and lifting and somehow that works on them
    Pretty much those are your option. And I agree with Auddii.

Have you ever suffered ffrom any ED issues?

No not at all. I've never had any issues like that, I'm just new to this nutrition stuff and needed some guidance and was hoping to find a different answer. I have no problem gaining weight, I just have trouble figuring out how to eat enough food each day and what kinds of food. Nutrition has just always been my biggest set back
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm 5'7 and 153 lb, 20 year old male. I cannot seem to reduce my belly fat. I do push-ups and pull-ups for exercise. The only weight lifting I do is a pair of dumbbell for curl.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    Jimmyftw94 wrote: »
    I have the same issue. I'm 5'7 and 153 lb, 20 year old male. I cannot seem to reduce my belly fat. I do push-ups and pull-ups for exercise. The only weight lifting I do is a pair of dumbbell for curl.

from all I've read and have been advised, you need to lift a lot more than just that. I've had multiple people tell me about the Strong Lifts program, you should check it out! It focuses on 6 compound exercises and helps you increase strength, and if you get your nutrition in check, I'm sure you'd be able to lose some fat. I'm currently at the "get nutrition in check" phase
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

from all I've read and have been advised, you need to lift a lot more than just that. I've had multiple people tell me about the Strong Lifts program, you should check it out! It focuses on 6 compound exercises and helps you increase strength, and if you get your nutrition in check, I'm sure you'd be able to lose some fat. I'm currently at the "get nutrition in check" phase

For nutrition I'm eating pretty clean, steam broccoli, tofu, roast chicken, etc and I like the food too. I don't believe in gym membership so I mostly concentrate on body weight exercise like pull ups.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options

For nutrition I'm eating pretty clean, steam broccoli, tofu, roast chicken, etc and I like the food too. I don't believe in gym membership so I mostly concentrate on body weight exercise like pull ups.

Maybe try mixing it up? Your workouts, I mean. Because your body can only do so many before it gets used to your workouts
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    So in your opinions, would I be better off eating at a surplus while maintaining my workout regiment (strong lifts) or eat at a slight deficit? I know the goal of strong lifts is to get stronger, so Whats the best way to go about it?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenance while getting your lifts up for a month or two. Then do a couple hundred calorie bulk to put some real muscle on. Cut in late spring for the summer.

A pic would really help to see where you're at though.