Ideas needed- desk job

Options
Hello :) So I work at an office at a desk job... 6 days a week for 10-11 hrs a day. that being said I need help I'm trying to loose weight, the problem is I dont get a lunch time so I'm stuck at my desk all day literally... I got a peddler exercise machine as an idea of how to sneak in at least some sort of movement during the day...at night i started a routine to go on walks and at least moving around and I go to zumba on the weekends but I would like something that would help during the day... I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas of things I can do? any ideas would be appreciated :)

Replies

• MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    CALL OSHA. Where do you work where you work 10-11 hours a day with no break?

That being said, it sounds like you're holding your own with the peddler, going on walks and Zumba. A lot of people in your position would be making excuses. Seriously, my only other recommendation until you are ready to start a more intense exercise routine to replace your walks is to take a break! It's good for your mental health, your neck and your back! Google "desk yoga." I used to have a little routine that I would do in the morning with my team and I just found it on the Internet.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree... that long without any breaks?

Try and find excuses to move. Get a drink from the fountain or the coffee machine, take bathroom breaks every half hour (and on another floor/ area if applicable). Purposely make excuses to move more. You can even park further away from your building so as to force yourself to walk more.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    10-11 hour days no break sounds illegal to me, but that is another issue I suppose. Can you trade your desk chair for an exercise ball? You will strengthen your core and burn WAY more calories in a day. Can you bring in hand weights? You could do reps while holding on the phone....In a 10 hour day that would really add up. You could do 10 sit ups every hour. You can do chair stretches and chair yoga. Can you lunge walk? I have a friend that does lunges when she walks up and down the hall. Yes, it looks silly. But in a 12 hour shift, that is A LOT of lunges. You could lunge on the way to the fax machine, lunge on your bathroom breaks... What about jumping jacks? These could be done at your desk, or even for a minute in the bathroom. Maybe you can stand, and go tippytoe and back for a minute every hour and sneak a calf workout/ stretch in. What about tightening/releasing your muscles? You could get a whole body workout in and nobody would be the wiser.
  • maggikal117
    Options
    MegBMin wrote: »
    CALL OSHA. Where do you work where you work 10-11 hours a day with no break?

That being said, it sounds like you're holding your own with the peddler, going on walks and Zumba. A lot of people in your position would be making excuses. Seriously, my only other recommendation until you are ready to start a more intense exercise routine to replace your walks is to take a break! It's good for your mental health, your neck and your back! Google "desk yoga." I used to have a little routine that I would do in the morning with my team and I just found it on the Internet.

I've never knew there was a thing as desk yoga :) NICE thanks I def will and as far as for that... I cant complain I took the job knowing that and I'm fine with it :) I like my job I dont have a complain about it... well aside from not moving that is lol

• maggikal117
    Options

Try and find excuses to move. Get a drink from the fountain or the coffee machine, take bathroom breaks every half hour (and on another floor/ area if applicable). Purposely make excuses to move more. You can even park further away from your building so as to force yourself to walk more.

we have specific parking cant do anything about that... and oh I already do that believe me lol i try to find any excuse to get up and do something haha

• maggikal117
    Options
    10-11 hour days no break sounds illegal to me, but that is another issue I suppose. Can you trade your desk chair for an exercise ball? You will strengthen your core and burn WAY more calories in a day. Can you bring in hand weights? You could do reps while holding on the phone....In a 10 hour day that would really add up. You could do 10 sit ups every hour. You can do chair stretches and chair yoga. Can you lunge walk? I have a friend that does lunges when she walks up and down the hall. Yes, it looks silly. But in a 12 hour shift, that is A LOT of lunges. You could lunge on the way to the fax machine, lunge on your bathroom breaks... What about jumping jacks? These could be done at your desk, or even for a minute in the bathroom. Maybe you can stand, and go tippytoe and back for a minute every hour and sneak a calf workout/ stretch in. What about tightening/releasing your muscles? You could get a whole body workout in and nobody would be the wiser.

I thought about the exercise ball... we have 2 cats at the office for some odd reason I have a feeling that would end up horrible if i did it lol BUT i like the other ideas :) I will def try some of those
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options

we have specific parking cant do anything about that... and oh I already do that believe me lol i try to find any excuse to get up and do something haha
    I'm sure if you have a closer parking spot than somebody else, they wouldn't mind trading with you (if that's allowed).
    Just drink a lot of water all day and you'll have an excuse to get up multiple times during the day for a potty break!
  • maggikal117
    Options
    530roman wrote: »

I'm sure if you have a closer parking spot than somebody else, they wouldn't mind trading with you (if that's allowed).
    Just drink a lot of water all day and you'll have an excuse to get up multiple times during the day for a potty break!
    our parking space is RIGHT in front of the office... I cant trade with anyone because we're right next to each other if I park anywhere else i get towed in any other situation that would def work.. my case yeah it wont but i appreciate the thought :)

I also already drink 10-13 8oz glasses of water a day if i do anymore i think i would die lol

Thank you for taking the time to give me some ideas though I appreciate it :)
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I try to sneak in some squats when I go to the bathroom. Sounds silly but I can get 25-35 in.
  • CheedoOne
    CheedoOne Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to have a similar work situation. I worked long hours sitting in front of a computer. It got really bad, I had aches and pains due to poor ergonomics. My solution: standing desk. Now, I work standing up for most of the day. All my aches and pains went away. I have been using it for the last three years and won't go back. The only thing I needed was one of those rubber mats for my feet. Good luck
  • maggikal117
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :)
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    just because you park close to the building doesn't mean you can't walk around the parking lot before you enter and after you exit the building. go in a few minutes early and walk around the parking lot. use a bathroom that is as far away as possible. do some stretching right at your desk and bring in some dumbbells so you can sneak in a few sets while sitting there.
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I recently switched jobs and my activity level has severely decreased, so much that it's not even funny. My previous job was also a desk job, but I parked further away, had to walk way to the other side of the building if I needed to go to the bathroom or kitchen area, etc. Just moved a lot more than I do at this new one. I've been kicking up my activity after work (Zumba 3x a week) and am going to try to take the stairs but that's a work in progress since I'm on the 10th floor haha

Anyway, where did you get your peddler machine? I would LOVE one of those!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/show/youcube

This is a series of like 3 minute shows but its a total soap opera about a guy who "offercizes" (exercises at his cube), but he is interested in this girl, etc. Pretty funny and practical :)

"Meet Peter. He just works and offercises and hangs around being adorable, waiting for that special someone to notice his charms.
    That special someone is Amy, a cutie pie with infectious laughter who sits just a few cubes away.
    And then there's Derek. He means well, and is the boss, so he kind of gets away with everything. Thumbs up.
    Arnold's here too. He's kind of a weirdo, really loves snacks and has become compulsive about hand sanitizer.
    They all work together at Gob_ler, one of those fancy internet companies that morphs into different things to "keep up with the times."
    And they're all on this show! It's called YouCube. Watch the hijinks and shenanigans every week on YouTube (see what we did there?)"
  • maggikal117
    Options
    I recently switched jobs and my activity level has severely decreased, so much that it's not even funny. My previous job was also a desk job, but I parked further away, had to walk way to the other side of the building if I needed to go to the bathroom or kitchen area, etc. Just moved a lot more than I do at this new one. I've been kicking up my activity after work (Zumba 3x a week) and am going to try to take the stairs but that's a work in progress since I'm on the 10th floor haha

Anyway, where did you get your peddler machine? I would LOVE one of those!
    I ordered one from Walmart is only like 30 bucks and we'll worth it I think

• maggikal117
    Options
    bimpski wrote: »
    just because you park close to the building doesn't mean you can't walk around the parking lot before you enter and after you exit the building. go in a few minutes early and walk around the parking lot. use a bathroom that is as far away as possible. do some stretching right at your desk and bring in some dumbbells so you can sneak in a few sets while sitting there.
    I just started trying to change how I do things.. this to me is a learning process please understand that. Also I go for walls in the morning as well as for at night what I'm asking for is ideas for during my work hours where I'm stuck in a warehouse that's 30x30 room? Not sure about the soze but is small lol with 5 other people and the bathroom is 10 feet away ... thank you for the idea of the dumbells someone else mentioned them as well I appreciate you talking the time to give me ideas :)
  • maggikal117
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    www.youtube.com/show/youcube

This is a series of like 3 minute shows but its a total soap opera about a guy who "offercizes" (exercises at his cube), but he is interested in this girl, etc. Pretty funny and practical :)

"Meet Peter. He just works and offercises and hangs around being adorable, waiting for that special someone to notice his charms.
    That special someone is Amy, a cutie pie with infectious laughter who sits just a few cubes away.
    And then there's Derek. He means well, and is the boss, so he kind of gets away with everything. Thumbs up.
    Arnold's here too. He's kind of a weirdo, really loves snacks and has become compulsive about hand sanitizer.
    They all work together at Gob_ler, one of those fancy internet companies that morphs into different things to "keep up with the times."
    And they're all on this show! It's called YouCube. Watch the hijinks and shenanigans every week on YouTube (see what we did there?)"
    sounds like my type of thing lol thanks I'll Def watch it :)