Gain weight or lose weight?

Options
Alright so I'm 5'4 and I weigh 112 lbs (upon waking up) I used to be around 122 but had a lot of fat on me. I started working out a few months ago and have lost weight, but somehow my stomach fat has not budged. I was told to do strength training (I've started strong lifts) but was also told to eat at a small deficit to lose some fat. I can't afford to lose anymore weight as I am already on the low side. What should I do in terms of nutrition? Eat at a surplus or deficits? Currently I am only doing stronglifts and don't do cardio

Replies

• zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that you are new so you can make progress cutting or bulking! I would say you find your maintenance and set up your macros from there
  • zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you need anymore help don't hesitate to add and message me (:
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My vote would be to either eat at whatever maintenance is including the weight lifting at least, or if you are comfortable with gaining a few lbs, then eat at a slight surplus and build up some muscle. I'm no expert but I think that will help get rid of "belly fat" and look more fit and toned then loosing weight that you said you don't need or want to lose. You may lose another 5 lbs and still have some tummy fat.
    On that note though, you are a woman, a little tummy fat is completely normal. Is it really that there's too much or are you being overcritical? (I ask because as a legitimate thing to think about because I am, I'm not assuming you are thinking the same way though). Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Stomach is based on food, stress, etc. - I would say figure out your TDEE eat at maintenance or above maintenance and make sure that you hit macros in the process. As you weight lift and do any type of exercise for that matter, make sure your core is engaged at all times.