Anyone training for 10K run?

Options
I was just wondering if there was anyone else about thats going from training for 5k- 10k?
I finished beginners 5k training a couple of weeks ago have now started on the bridge to 10k app on my iphone.
I've gone straight into week two though as i didn't want to revert back from running 15/1 run/walk intervals to 10/1 intervals.
Feeling rather shattered after today's run but can't wait to go again!

Replies

• CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Bridge to 10k as well - but I am taking longer breaks (instead of 1 minute - I do 3-4 minute breaks). I really like the android app.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I think i may need to extend my breaks as well, maybe 2 mins i'll see when i'm next at the gym. I love the app too!
    i managed to get to 7.5 k this evening which made me happy! Its the furthest i've ran ever!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 10k, but not from a 5k, as my last race (last Sept) was a 10k too. I just want to go faster this time!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also looking to run a 10k, but waiting a few more days before I start running again on a consistent basis. Tried a 7k run yesterday, but my foot wasn't as happy as I would have liked it. :frown:
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Wow Fryingpanda, just had a nose at your inspirations 10k in 35 mins!? Thats pure torture surely lol!
    I think i do 5k in about that time, altho i'm no pro i will eventually look to improve my time but holy **** i doubt i'll ever do that!!
  • EmVar
    EmVar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh I miss running so much! Just by the time I've got home, sorted out family dinners, bathed Imogen and got her to bed, all I want to do is go to bed myself - forget running at that point, it's usually gone 8pm anyway!

But anyways, what's this app you're on about? Is it a freebie or a purchase one? What's the best one to do?

I used to do some 5K's, mainly 10Ks and I did a few half marathons in my time as well - a few years ago now though, haven't done one of those since 2007! Nowadays I jog to the bus stop in a morning and that's it! I really miss that buzz you get when you get going, you've broken the breathless barrier and you're just comfortable, or when you get in feeling as though you could do it again but knowing you couldn't really!
  • EmVar
    EmVar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kell your speed sounds about right for what i was like - best 5K was 25mins but I nearly died! 10K was 62mins - oh how I longed to get under the hour! half marathons were like 2 and half hours but that was more about enjoying it than getting a good time - I could do it all without stopping, just very slowly!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just finished C25K, and will be running my "first" 5K next weekend... I was thinking of picking up with another program for the summer -- either B210K or one of the Higdon programs. Haven't decided yet (especially since I think there'll be some down time in a few weeks due to surgery)...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    One thing I have been told is that doing a 10k, your second half should be faster than the first half. I guess because you are warmed up, and also, you should be pacing yourself on the first half but the second 5k you can give it your all.
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Sorry emvar hunny I've just seen you there! The app is bridge to 10k I think it was £1.19
    I didn't realise you were a runner! You should try it aain sounds like your pining for it! Lol

How's everyone doing? All good here on the last 15/1 today then it increases a bit in running time!
    Fteale that makes sense! I feel after about 5.5k that It gets easier and I could run forever lol!
    I'm working on just meeting the time goals at the moment at a constant speed, once I know I can do it I'll work on bettering time and pace. But this being the first time I've run in my life I'm just happy I can actually run for extended periods at the moment lol
  • ljs23
    ljs23 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I am training for my first ever 10K run too! So far I have run 6K and today I am hoping to get to 7. Physically i reckon I can do it, but sometimes I stop to easily when I am on the treadmill which is a major problem for me! I find imagining finishing the race and telling people I ran 10K really helps me to motivate myself!

Anyway please feel free to add me as I am new to this too and could do with some support!
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 10k in a couple weeks, actually its my first race ever too! I signed up on whim and I don't have time to do proper training (I know, bad), but I already run 4 times a week for my normal exercise so I know I can make it through. I ran 5.4 miles yesterday averaging just over an 11 minute mile so I'm figuring I should be able to finish in about 75 minutes. My biggest struggle is keeping a steady pace, I have a tendency to start going way too fast and get out of breath and have to slow down and walk. So that's what I've been trying to focus on is keeping my pace steady. I'm trying to find another one to sign up for later in the summer so I can train and try for a better time.

So here's a question for the more experienced people. I was reading through the training guide that was put together for the 10k I'm doing and for the people wanting to train to finish in a 60-70 munute bracket there was no strength training included, but it was included for the faster times. Is there some reason that you should not strength train when getting ready for a race?
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am going to download the c210k app today. I was able to run a 5k twice last week and will continue to work on improving my speed and increase my distance.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 10k in a couple weeks, actually its my first race ever too!

My biggest struggle is keeping a steady pace, I have a tendency to start going way too fast and get out of breath and have to slow down and walk. So that's what I've been trying to focus on is keeping my pace steady.

do you have an ipod or a smartphone? you could download a podcast or use music that would help you keep running to a particular beat... the trick for running a pace is learning how it *feels* -- and that kind of muscle memory comes with repeated practice. I've finished the C25K program, using the NHS podcasts, but I keep playing the week 9 podcast, because I'm used to the music, and it helps me keep to a 10 min/mile pace.
    So here's a question for the more experienced people. I was reading through the training guide that was put together for the 10k I'm doing and for the people wanting to train to finish in a 60-70 munute bracket there was no strength training included, but it was included for the faster times. Is there some reason that you should not strength train when getting ready for a race?

I don't know about strength training in general, but glute work is good, and getting your core in shape will improve your running form and have a positive effect on your times!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through c210k. (same as cuoch to 5k but it's shooting for a 10k in 13 weeks). It's taken me 10 weeks to get to week 6, so I'm guessing it'll be another couple of months before I'm done. LOVING it though!