Smoothies! (with Protein) Ideas Needed...

Options
Hi Everyone :)

I'm having a hard time getting all of my protein in, and I'm working out a lot, so I'm going to start using Jillian Michael's vanilla protein powder tomorrow. I'd rather make a fruity drink than just mix it with water or milk.

Any tried and true recipes for yummy protein smoothies?

Thanks a bunch!

Kelly ♥

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i use the whey protein and usually add 1 cup of cranberry juice (diet 5 calories), 1 cup of berries (no sugar added) about 70 calories....very yummy!!!! I keep the berries frozen because then it is more like a smoothie :smile:
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Almost daily I drink odwalla protein monster mixed with 1/2 or 1 cup frozen blueberries and or strawberries and 1 or 2 T depending on my workout for the day and how many cal I have of peanut butter. When I have other fruit I use it, blackberries, raspberries, etc. I cant eat bananas but you should def put at least a half in there too:)
  • twiss61
    twiss61 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Kelly

its not really high protein sorry but this is delicious and very filling

fruit 1/2 cup Strawberries , blackberies soft fruit works best i think

4 tablespoons yoghurt low fat

8floz milk skimmed

200g oats (very filling)

blend add ice if req delicious Sometimes I add q teaspoon of very good honey
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Due to texture, I like to make my shakes with 1% milk but a different flavor every day if I want ...

Love to add frozen blackberries ... makes it taste like Lucky Charms
    Also, a tablespoon or two of frozen orange juice concentrate to a vanilla shake ... makes an orange creamsicle flavor
    Frozen Strawberries for strawberries and cream flavor
    Frozen peaches for peaches and cream
    I add pineapple and mango for a tropical flare ( a friend likes this with some coconut flakes from the bakery section -doesn't take much to add a little flavor)

You can find all of these fruits in the frozen foods section at my local grocery stores, so am pretty sure you can find them anywhere (our stores pretty much suck for selection on a routine basis)

Hope that gives you an idea or two that you find worthwhile
  • julie0477
    julie0477 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you run out of protein powder greek yogurt is a good way to get in your protein. One serving has 22 grams. If you want to keep your sugar low you can get plain and eat it with fresh fruit or cereal, or you could make a good fruit smoothie with it. If you go the smoothie route I recommend adding a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and then whatever fruits you like (I usually go for banana and some berries). You'll need to add a little juice too to keep it from getting too thick.

As for the vanilla protein smoothies, you can't go wrong with banana and some organic strawberries. :)
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use smoothies as a meal. The way I make them, they pack a little bit of a punch on the calories, but I love them and they are very filling. I'll mix protein powder with either water or a half-cup or a cup of juice, low-fat yogurt, fruit, and sometimes a half-cup of mini shredded wheats. OR, you can use milk, water, almond milk, whatever, and use vanilla yogurt to match the protein powder for a non-fruity shake (almost too sweet though; could be used as a dessert). The combinations are really endless, and they're all tasty.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I make my banana protein shake with one small chopped up banana with about 1/2 (62.5gs) serving greek lite yoghurt and 100 mls rice milk (dairy free version) and one serving vanilla whey protein its about 253 calories. The banana does put up the calories but I do that beause its filling and if I'm struggling to meet my calories for the day as well its an easy way to boost them a little. And its totally yummy !

I'll be keen to see everyones ideas here too :)
  • KellyDianeSpears
    Options
    Thank you all! All of these sound wonderful! I'm going shopping tomorrow, so I'm going to pick up lots of fruits, and I'm also going to try the greek yogurt!

Thanks again! You guys rock!

Kelly ♥
  • KellyDianeSpears
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I went shopping today & bought a mini blender for smoothies (I'm on the go A LOT).
    Since I had a day off today, I decided to experiment.
    I made my first smoothie with a handful of fresh strawberries, some greek strawberry/honey yogurt, a little almond milk and some skim milk, ice cubes and a scoop of vanilla protein powder, with a little bit of sweet n low. It was so good, and perfect after my workout!
    I'm so glad I tried it :)