Nightly Leg Cramp

Options
I would say that about 3/7 days of the week I awaken in the middle of the night with a horrible cramp in my right calf. This cramp is so bad that even if I put all my weight on my leg it will not go down and allow me to stand flat footed. AND then, my leg will feel brused for about 2 days.

Does this happen to any of you and did you find out why? Is there a simple solution?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Increasing sodium, potassium and (especially in my case) magnesium intake can help with this. I've had it most of my life.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've found over the last 3 years of really watching my diet and exercising that if I have a banana or coconut water every day the leg cramps are gone for me. Every now and then I'll get one and I'll think have I had a banana or coconut water. I've found it is on day 3 of not having either I'll get a leg cramp. Next day right back to my routine of getting potassium in my diet.
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I got them like that when I was pregnant. My OB/GYN told me to keep a frozen can of OJ ready in the freezer and have hubby grab it and roll it over the bottom of my foot for a few minutes (roll from toes to heel and back) ...you can also lay it on the floor and roll it under your foot if you can flatten your foot enough...I could NOT! Sounds CRAZY but it worked to get rid of the cramp and keep that bruised feeling at bay. He also said to increase my potassium by eating a banana every day and it worked too!!! Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Potatoes help me. Good source of potassium and magnesium. I'm still plagued by them occasionally, and I eat a banana most days.

I've never tried the OJ trick, but someone told me to straighten my foot out and then point my toes up as much as possible. This is super painful and doesn't always work.
  • sun1000000shine
    sun1000000shine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use to get this, after a lot of research, I started sleeping with bare legs. I only cover up from the hips upward. I works for me.
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching enough after exercise?

I used to get tight hammys and now I stretch them every morning and night and it sorted the issue for me.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated? Low electrolytes? Maybe try a glass of water with those salt tabs dissolved in before bed?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Instead of a banana you can also eat a cup or more of spinach for a lot less calories (unless you have the calories to spare). Also check your temperature at the time the leg cramp happens. I find the cramping will happen more frequently in colder temps. Maybe eat your spinach, make sure to drink your water throughout the day and use a heating pad on it if you need to.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get that if I've been drinking alcohol, or if I haven't drunk enough water after a hard workout session, so I think for me it's dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. How much water do you drink?
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This can happen with too high potassium, too... especially if on a potassium sparing diuretic.

I usually get this from not being hydrated enough. Make sure you're drinking water before bed and when you get up (to pee, probably :wink:)
  • sandraallangrimes
    sandraallangrimes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You may also need to have your Magnesium and Potassium levels checked by your Doctor. My P levels are normal, but I have to take 400 mgs. of Mag. each day, due to low levels. I have to have my Mag checked each Doctor visit due to almost passing out from a combination of dehydration and low mag levels.
  • sandraallangrimes
    sandraallangrimes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I failed to mention in the above post.. If I do not take magnesium every day. I get horrible cramps not only in my legs but other muscles too.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I used to get a lot of leg cramps/ restless leg at night. Running long distances and squats have helped me mostly. Pretty much anything that will work my legs to exhaustion, then I'm good to go for at least a week.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Half Tonic water and Half plain water , it works for me like a charm......please let me know if you try this.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stretch!!! ACE (american counsel on exercise) recommends 15-30 seconds per stretch. Cramps like the person above me stem from dehydration and low potassium.

Could also stem from circulation. Ginko Biloba helps.
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20000330/ginkgo-biloba-leg-cramps