What your Secret to staying motivated when times are hard?

Options
I need tips please help.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror
  • DeeDee620mfp
    Options
    That would be a great motivator for me fearlessleader104 but I hate looking in the mirror... After baby #2 I really stopped looking. I must start again for more than motivation. I need to look also for confidence...
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror

same here I look at myself and go "what have you done!?!" then go put on my walking shoes and do something about.

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I look for support from friends and family, practice radical self-forgiveness, try to take things one day at a time. Times are feeling pretty tough for me right now, with some very serious family illnesses and myself being both sick and having an injury that is causing me a lot of pain. I'm setting a few goals for myself every day, and just doing my best.

There is something I've seen around this forum that always resonates with me. I might be paraphrasing, but: Dieting is hard, being overweight is hard. Pick your hard.

This always speaks to me. Feeling sh*tty about myself and eating terribly is not going to make my life situation any easier, so I just stay the course knowing I am doing the best thing for myself in the long run.

Best wishes to you - I hope things get easier, or at least more manageable.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've been at this for over 2 months now. And honestly, losing weight this time has never been easier lol.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Remember why you started.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I get tough about it and don't accept excuses from myself. I keep doing it, not because I'm excited or feel good about doing what's best for myself. I don't feel any great motivation. I just do it. I struggle, and I hate it, but I put one foot in front of the other and do it.
  • Hennersby
    Hennersby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Discipline > Motivation. As Lisajo89 said, remember why you started and try to keep the same conviction you felt then. If you master your discipline, you'll soldier through the hard times. Easier said than done, of course, but discipline trumps motivation every time.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Every time a piece of clothing gets too big it gets given away. I refuse to buy any new clothes that are a size bigger. The instant something feels tight I know it's time to start tracking again. I also have a family photo stuck on our fridge of when I was just about at my heaviest and there is no way I'm ever going to look like that again.
  • jamiehill1037
    jamiehill1037 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally i hate working out especially working midnight shift; it seems it is easier to just go to tudors and say too hell with it. My motivation is staring back at me everytime i look into the mirror or try to get into a pair of jeans while trying to breath at the same time lol
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what works for me... when there's no motivation, you need discipline... the way I do it is every day at the same time, no matter how I feel, no matter what else is going on... I walk into my work-out area, if I'm motivated, no problem, I go through my work-out... if on that day I'm not motivated... I tell myself, just 10 or 15 minutes do something... I'll start with a warm-up, something light and easy and before I know it 45 minutes have past and I've done a whole workout.... and even if the work-out isn't happening, go for a 30-45 minute walk.
    Same time every day... my family knows not to disturb me... I don't answer calls... it's "You Time" and you deserve it... 45 minutes is only 3% of your day, that's not too much to ask... and that 3% will be repaid a hundred-fold to whoever or whatever you are taking it from in the long run. Good Luck!!
  • Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started a Biggest Loser competition between a few friends that began January 2nd and is running for 8 weeks. It's 25$ to join and winner takes all. So what motivates me....competition and cash!!!!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror

^This

• I have 48 Pounds to lose, even if I was able to lose 2 Pounds every week; that's 24 weeks. Sticking with this for nearly 6 months, it'd be impossible for me; if I didn't set sooner goals for myself. For instance I've chosen significant celebratory days, in between; to weigh/measure myself & if I am unsatisfied with the results, I just start my diet; over the next day. Another thing that I attempt to do, is to avoid consuming items, that're immeasurable; like my favorite Mom & Pop Shop pizza. If/when I do give in though, I just calculate what was calculable that day; then restart my diet the next day but since I don't look forward to weighing/measuring myself, due to the results typically disappointing me; it keeps me from doing it.
  • robinslisa
    Options
    I think for me after reading all your helpful comments it's knowing that you have a end goal. I know that I will slip up and at times I will probably break my diet and exercise regime but this time round instead of just caving in all together I will move on instead of dwelling on the error and continue to follow my meal plan and exercise because I have a end goal of being happy and healthy.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try to read the treads on NSVs (non scale victories) where members share the Little and big day to day positive changes their weightloss has giving them. They post under success-stories. I find them very inspiring and motivational. ;-) good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hard times are actually easier for me. The one thing that's controllable in my life is the food I eat. I can't control life, death, illness, etc., but I can manage what I eat for breakfast lunch and dinner.
  • jazzxdaisy
    jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i have pictures on my phone that i took at my heaviest. they motivate me whenever i'm struggling.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation. Logging my food, following my fitness plan those are part of my daily routine just like showering is. More dedication, determination and down right stubbornness that kept me going.

Motivation will come and go, if I had counted on that I wouldn't be here over 2 years and wouldn't have reached any of my goals.