Recommended Macronutrient

Options
Jimmyftw94
Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I'm 5'8 and weight 151 lbs and I'm a 20 year old male. My question is what is the recommended macronutrient ratio to build muscle while maintaining my weight and losing some belly fat?

Replies

• zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well there is no way to just lose belly fat only because you can't spot reduce. Stay in a deficit but start relatively small you don't need to jump on a 500 cal deficit. Start with 200 and see how the scale is working with you. If you aren't happy another hundred remember if you can loose more weight and still haves more sufficient nutrients then why cut the extra calories. Remember to always set it up to what keeps you satiated because you want longevity in order to keep you comfortable and able to keep going. 20% or more for fats for you to keep normal bodily functions and not to mess with hormones. 1gram per lean body mass of protein. And load the rest up with carbs.
  • zab12101
    Options
    Also remember most people play around with their macros so keep your deficit going and manipulate to your comfortability(:
  • Jimmyftw94
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zab12101 wrote: »
    Well there is no way to just lose belly fat only because you can't spot reduce. Stay in a deficit but start relatively small you don't need to jump on a 500 cal deficit. Start with 200 and see how the scale is working with you. If you aren't happy another hundred remember if you can loose more weight and still haves more sufficient nutrients then why cut the extra calories. Remember to always set it up to what keeps you satiated because you want longevity in order to keep you comfortable and able to keep going. 20% or more for fats for you to keep normal bodily functions and not to mess with hormones. 1gram per lean body mass of protein. And load the rest up with carbs.

MFP recommend me to eat 1850 calorie a day. Would a 500 calorie deficit mean I should eat 1350 calorie a day. I'm new to this, thanks for your help!
  • zab12101
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well when it asked did you say your goal was to lose a pound a week? Under weekly goals
  • Jimmyftw94
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well when it asked did you say your goal was to lose a pound a week? Under weekly goals

Yes, but I might actually change it. But let's say MFP say I should eat 1850 calorie would a deficit of 500 calorie mean I should be eating at 1250 calorie?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Jimmyftw94 wrote: »

Yes, but I might actually change it. But let's say MFP say I should eat 1850 calorie would a deficit of 500 calorie mean I should be eating at 1250 calorie?

No - if you said you wanted to lose 1lb, MFP already worked the 500 calorie deficit into your 1850 goal (in this case your maintenance calorie level would be 2350). Please also note that MFP is designed in a way that it expects you to eat more if you exercise - it credits you with more calories when you work out.

• zab12101
    Options
    Yes! But also account for the calories you burn lifting and doing cardiovascular activities...definitely need to boost it up friend.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Options

No - if you said you wanted to lose 1lb, MFP already worked the 500 calorie deficit into your 1850 goal (in this case your maintenance calorie level would be 2350). Please also note that MFP is designed in a way that it expects you to eat more if you exercise - it credits you with more calories when you work out.

Oh, ok I get it now. 2350 would be the calorie I need as a lighty active person to maintain my weight. If I want to build muscle should I be eating at 2350 calorie?
  • Jimmyftw94
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The reason why I'm trying to lose weight now is because I want to cut down first to reduce my belly fat and then bulk up. I know I can't spot reduce but everywhere else on my body is skinny so I figure if I diet, fat from belly will come off.

Here's a picture of me:

xfre8xpxz6pw.jpg

Not really sure to bulk or cut.
  • zab12101
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well if you eat 2350 you would be at maintenance and would be a great place to start if you are new so I would suggest you eat ate your TDEE and because you are new to the scene of lifting lean mass is going to come your way no matter what if you train right and eat adequate protein along with the other macros. And if you aren't seeing the results you want then go ahead and start cutting about 200-300 calories because you can lose and make lean gains for the first few months
  • zab12101
    Options
    The reason why I'm trying to lose weight now is because I want to cut down first to reduce my belly fat and then bulk up. I know I can't spot reduce but everywhere else on my body is skinny so I figure if I diet, fat from belly will come off.

Here's a picture of me:

xfre8xpxz6pw.jpg

Being young looking from the picture I would always suggest bulk first to take advantage of all the size you can make as necessary... But it's all preference. Personally me I like looking lean year round so If it were me I would cut first. Also you look skinny fat so I'm sure you can make progress relatively quick
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    as you're new to weights you could get some muscle gains on a defecit - so I'd set your goal to lose 1lb a week, make sure you eat enough protein (1g per LBM) and lift heavy

you may well fine some newby gains and some fat loss

and then when that goes you can start your bulk and cut cycles
  • Jimmyftw94
    edited January 2015
    Options

Here's a picture of me:

xfre8xpxz6pw.jpg

Being young looking from the picture I would always suggest bulk first to take advantage of all the size you can make as necessary... But it's all preference. Personally me I like looking lean year round so If it were me I would cut first. Also you look skinny fat so I'm sure you can make progress relatively quick

Ok that make sense. I have actually bulk up from 135 relatively quick before when I first begin training, not hardcore training just some pull-ups, push-ups and dumbbell curl. I'm fine with gaining weight but as long as it muscle and not fat.

But right now I'm going to step up my workout and doing some bench dumbbell press and squats.
  • zab12101
    Options

Here's a picture of me:

xfre8xpxz6pw.jpg

Ok that make sense. I have actually bulk up from 135 relatively quick before when I first begin training, not hardcore training just some pull-ups, push-ups and dumbbell curl. I'm fine with gaining weight but as long as it muscle and not fat.
    Then I would Suggest a lean bulk!
  • Jimmyftw94
    Options

Here's a picture of me:

xfre8xpxz6pw.jpg

Then I would Suggest a lean bulk!

Would that be eating high protein and low fat? Would 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat be good?
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ]

Would that be eating high protein and low fat? Would 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat be good?

I think you can afford to cut back on fat a bit more, for a lean bulk.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ah. Sorry I got the quoting thing all messed up.
  • zab12101
    Options
    Yeah I'm actually on that split right now or the basic 40p-40c-20f is a good guideline
  • zab12101
    Options
    But you can arrange fats and carbs as preferred. Just at least 20% fats or more if you prefer fats like me over carbs
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First make up your mind if you want to maintain weight and recomp or lose weight.
    In my view you are currently too fat to bulk.
    Young, male and new to weights means you could do well recomping.

If you decide to lose weight (bearing in mind your are currently quite light for your height) I would go for a very small deficit.

Unless you are planning on eating the same number of calories every day percentage macro ratios don't make a lot of sense.
    I prefer:
    1g protein per pound of LBM (minimum target)
    0.4g of fat per pound of bodyweight (minimum target)
    Carbs no particular goal, whatever suits your taste and helps your gym/training performance.