I need some information on the calories in Asda Chosen by you Udon Noodles

Options
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-sna4-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/product/910000786431

Looking at the information, is the calorie contend per 100g cooked or dry? The container iis 250 grams and it gives info on 100g and 1/2 a pack.Within the big pack there are 3 sets of udon noodles wrapped in a small bit of paper each. See where the confusion is coming from? What consists a pack? The actual pack or the small wraps? Any ideas?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the pack size is 250 grams, half a pack is 125 grams which has 1.25 times the protein of 100g.

Half a pack is 1 and a half of the wraps. Is this stuff moist ? The analysis suggests it is otherwise it might be cooked data.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The stuff is very dry. Thats why I was unsure. Also the calorie content seems very low is this is true, compared to other noodles.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think the data is for cooked product, as the dry substance is about 30% whereas if it's "very dry" the dry substance would be at least 80%.
  • Meghannderson
    Meghannderson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm living in Japan and everything is 100g. It's annoying when they use that instead of serving sizes. Or when there's only 20g in the whole container.

But FYI they mean cooked.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wonder if the info is misleading and that 1 'pack' is one 1 wrapped stick, rather than the whole pack of 3 (i.e. 6 servings per whole package). In this case, it seems reasonable that 1/2 of of bound set would be 138 cals. Supposing you just add water to cook, it is based on portion rather than weight so it would be 138 cals regardless of cooked or dry.

ETA: To support this, for comprison here are some other udon noodles: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/438186_Clearspring_Organic_Udon_Noodles__Japanese_200g.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=COz1ouD4lcMCFeKWtAodbnAAKA

These are 344 cal per 100 g dry. = 3.44 cal per gram.

Your Asda noodles have 250 g per whole pack, so 250 x 3.44 = 860 cal per whole pack.

860 / 6 servings = 143.3 cal per serving, which is close to the 138 cal stated on the Asda noodles.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so I think you're right in saying 1 pack is 1 bundle. Bloody hell, why make is so damn confusing