Rye Bread

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to switch from wholemeal bread to rye bread (I'm a bit of a bread lover and HAVE to have it every day without fail)
However, the only one i've found is the tesco bakery rye bread which is actually only 20% rye flour.
Does anyone know of
a) Any UK supermarkets that sell 100% rye bread
b) Any recipes to make your only 100% rye bread (If so is this easy to do? I've never made bread before)

If so, can anyone tell me how it tastes?
I thought the tesco rye bread was lovely but i'm not sure if that's because the majority of it was wheat flour!

Tips and advice welcomed. Thank you!!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons for switching?

You can find some dark rye bread in the gluten-free/ good for you/ free-from section of Tesco - it comes in a vacuum sealed pack.
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what does it taste like? Well i've lost 50lbs now and been fine on wholemeal bread and still am really. However, the main problem area for me is my stomach and i've read that rye bread is a lot better and prevents bloating. It's also a much lower GI so should keep you fuller for longer :)
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Rye doesn't have the gluten that wheat has, so 100% rye bread is pretty heavy. You slice it thinly or eat rye crackers instead. It's easy to make bread, I've been making it for years and years. Look on youtube for videos about making no-knead bread. It makes very good bread, with almost no fat, and no dairy. You can substitute rye flour for some of the wheat flour, which will make a tasty loaf, but somewhat heavier than bread made with only wheat flour.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rye bread is nice with cheese on!
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also i'm just curious, i'm told that there isn't much point in switching unless you are going to go 100% gluten free. This isn't something i'm trying to do, i'd just like to lower my intake slightly. Thoughts?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Also i'm just curious, i'm told that there isn't much point in switching unless you are going to go 100% gluten free. This isn't something i'm trying to do, i'd just like to lower my intake slightly. Thoughts?

you just do you... if you want to eat rye bread eat rye bread... if you want to eat wheat in other things, eat wheat in other things... who cares!?
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    I'm going round to Aldi later, so I'll check whether they stock it. I think I've seen it there in the past. I'll get back to you hun.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Try it and see.

Taste wise, it;s quite dense, and has a grainy texture. You could'nt make sandwiches out of it. But it's nice toasted.

I found that by cutting down the wheat and other starchy carbs I eat, my bloating has improved. And that's without going totally gluten-free (which is REALLY difficult). But you will need to experiemtn and see what works for you as an individual.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love proper rye bread...the supermarket stuff doesn't have enough rye IMO!

100% rye is dark and dense - you only need thin slices. I've made sandwiches with it fine!
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    Unfortunatley, no rye bread in Aldi :-(
  • Charlyfitness13
    Charlyfitness13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    asda sell it! I buy The polish Bakery brand. Rye and sourdough made with rye flower. It does contain gluten. Already sliced. It's lovely! They also do a gluten free german one called Scheider Brot which i would like to try. Check your local Asda.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Rye bread is very popular in Germany and is therefore readily found in the German supermarkets (Lidl, Aldi).