damaged knee

Options
Anyone got any ideas for exercising with temporary disability? I would like a simple programme to follow for a month or two until corrective surgery is finished . Thanks from Denis in Wales. X

Replies

• bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How about doing arm exercise and maybe keep doing one leg exercise until you knee is better. Your probably not going to be able to in the water to do anything. I think when you start therapy you will be working out on a bike. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    if you have a gym membership, your gym may have a cardio machine called an arm bike, which is just like a stationary bike well.. its for your arms! (DUH LOL)... another good cardio exercise is punching... may look a little silly but it does get your heart rate up! hope your surgery goes well!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor about this. Or see a physical therapist who can point you in the right direction.

However, swimming and a stationary bike are both good options for knee injuries.
  • denvoyager
    denvoyager Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's great advice,everyone! Thank you very much, Den, Wales
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Water jogging and water aerobics.
    I occasionally go to the water aerobics class at my gym, and no the pool is not just full of the Golden Girls
  • denvoyager
    Options
    cannot do water because of twisting action X
  • girlchemist1
    girlchemist1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from an ACL injury. I had surgery in September. The best thing to do is ask your doctor and/or physical therapist for the best options for exercise for you.
  • denvoyager
    Options
    Hi, I'm seeing a physio now , and he says to strengthen the leg muscles in general . It's working, but only slowly! Still, its a positive.
    Thanks for your comment - I hope you are recovering as well as can be, and that life is returning to normal for you. I'm steadily losing weight, my average weekly loss is 1.84 lbs at the mo, although I expect it to go down a bit - my goal is an average of 1.35 lbs per week. Hope we see less of each other in future! Den
  • denvoyager
    Options
    Thanks , everybody - still getting the hang of this!
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Perhaps my experience can help, Denis. I had 2 bad knees. Had the left one replaced last year. The right one needs replacing but I want to see how far I can take it before absolutely having to do that.
    When I started MFP two months ago, along with counting calories, I began an exercise routine that is working for me, so I'm sticking with it.
    Four days a week I briskly walk outdoors for one hour. That's about the maximum my bad knee will tolerate without the use of pain pills. Three days per week I do some basic calisthenics and dumbbell weight exercises for about a half hour.
    I have a stationary exercise bike and will use it when it becomes too hot to walk outside in the summer, or my bad knee makes walking outside too painful.
    The key here is to not only develop an exercise program that works for you, but to find the dedication to stick with it. Motivation does not keep you going. Good habits, determination and discipline will. Good luck.

• denvoyager
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
    I am increasing my walking times, my target is one hour daily, but our constantly bad weather on the Atlantic coast isn't helping! I'm switching to an exercise bike this week as an alternative if its still raining.
    Your point about dedication is well taken - hope I can stick with it! Good luck to you, as well.