Sugar Free

Options

Replies

• mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sarahland wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat (and highly recommend) zero added sugar. By eliminating processed foods, this is very simple. Sugar is one of the leading causes of inflammation in the body, which then causes a myriad of other issues, including exacerbating symptoms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases. I'm not talking about the natural sugars that occur in carbohydrates. Even with cutting sugar, I still get 40-50g of sugar per day. Your body and brain need the carbs and even some sugar- we just do not need the added, refined and processed sugar that is in packaged foods.

i recommend ignoring this 100%...

Then take your own advice and please stop bullying people.

No, he's right. She's giving awful advice. The last thing anyone should want is people taking her broscience as fact. Your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, for one, and all that stuff about 'inflammation in the body'? Nonsense. I suffer from several autoimmune diseases, sugar has absolutely zero affect on them. If anything I'm eating more sugar than I did when I was obese (as I now drink more tea and take 5-6 teaspoons of sugar per cup) and my immune disorders have stayed totally fine.

I would just like to say that just because you have no issues with sugar affecting your auto immune diseases doesn't mean everyone is the same. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and cannot eat most pork or things high in sodium. If I do, I can barely walk the next day. That's like saying every diabetic is the same. They aren't.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I eat (and highly recommend) zero added sugar. By eliminating processed foods, this is very simple. Sugar is one of the leading causes of inflammation in the body, which then causes a myriad of other issues, including exacerbating symptoms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases. I'm not talking about the natural sugars that occur in carbohydrates. Even with cutting sugar, I still get 40-50g of sugar per day. Your body and brain need the carbs and even some sugar-we just do not need the added, refined and processed sugar that is in packaged foods.

That statement is correct - in fact we do not 'need' any dietary sugar or carbs!

But still it tastes nice and it is a great addition to any healthy diet - we probably do not need it in the quantities that a lot of people in westernized countries consume it in, but that another discussion point.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I eat (and highly recommend) zero added sugar. By eliminating processed foods, this is very simple. Sugar is one of the leading causes of inflammation in the body, which then causes a myriad of other issues, including exacerbating symptoms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases. I'm not talking about the natural sugars that occur in carbohydrates. Even with cutting sugar, I still get 40-50g of sugar per day. Your body and brain need the carbs and even some sugar- we just do not need the added, refined and processed sugar that is in packaged foods.

No, he's right. She's giving awful advice. The last thing anyone should want is people taking her broscience as fact. Your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, for one, and all that stuff about 'inflammation in the body'? Nonsense. I suffer from several autoimmune diseases, sugar has absolutely zero affect on them. If anything I'm eating more sugar than I did when I was obese (as I now drink more tea and take 5-6 teaspoons of sugar per cup) and my immune disorders have stayed totally fine.

Then how do you explain fructose and sucrose intolerance?

Alright then. Bar any individual medical intolerances that most people do not have, your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar.

Are the symptoms of glucose intolerance and fructose intolerance the same?

Also does high dietary glucose affect the livers fatty acids in the same way high dietary fructose 'can'?

How is that first question relevant when we're talking about the average person, without intolerances? The symptoms of food intolerance are pretty similar no matter what you're intolerant to, which is why if you suspect you have an intolerance, you need to do an elimination test.
    Pretty much all fruits contain BOTH fructose and sucrose anyway, you do realise? An apricot, for example, has 0.9g of fructose but 5.9g of sucrose, per 100g. As the fructose is almost always bound to glucose as sucrose, a disaccharide, then yes, it pretty much has the same affect on the liver as just eating a teaspoon of sugar. Which, obviously, nobody would recommend.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

=/= bullying.

That is all.

• MarziPanda95
    edited January 2015
    Options

I would just like to say that just because you have no issues with sugar affecting your auto immune diseases doesn't mean everyone is the same. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and cannot eat most pork or things high in sodium. If I do, I can barely walk the next day. That's like saying every diabetic is the same. They aren't.

I would just like to say that I never implied that I speak for everyone with an autoimmune disease, whilst she was clearly implying that she was (although she didn't even provide anecdotal evidence as she didn't say if she herself has one). Also, there's no evidence to suggest that sugar would have an effect on the immune system. I really can't see why it would.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see why pork would render me unable to walk but it does EVERY SINGLE TIME I EAT IT. You stated that sugar doesn't affect you and your auto immune diseases and didn't see how it could affect anyone else. Therefore you are saying that because it doesn't affect you, it should affect anyone else. Have you studied the affects of sugar on the body to know this as fact? Being that you are only 19, I would assume the answer is no. I'm not saying it does or it doesn't. I'm just saying that foods affect people differently. Something I'm learning quickly that most people in these forums don't realize.
  • MarziPanda95
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I couldn't see why pork would render me unable to walk but it does EVERY SINGLE TIME I EAT IT. You stated that sugar doesn't affect you and your auto immune diseases and didn't see how it could affect anyone else. Therefore you are saying that because it doesn't affect you, it should affect anyone else. Have you studied the affects of sugar on the body to know this as fact? Being that you are only 19, I would assume the answer is no. I'm not saying it does or it doesn't. I'm just saying that foods affect people differently. Something I'm learning quickly that most people in these forums don't realize.

Dude, chill. All I said was that I don't understand how sugar could effect the immune system (unlike pork, it has a pretty simple chemical compound - with pork there are many different proteins that can have effects. I myself am on medication to destroy a certain type of protein in my body as it effects how my immune system works) I never said that it's impossible that it would. There's no need to bring up my age either. For all you know I could be a med student doing a dissertation on sugar's effect on the body. All I was saying was that people with immune system disorders shouldn't take the other user's advice as it doesn't sound like she even has a autoimmune disease or has done any research.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so telling someone to ignore pseudo science is bullying? Really, really?????????

• ndj1979
    Options

barring a medical condition one can eat the foods they like and achieve their goals.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    MadamMina wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I eat sugar...had a chocolate s'more sundae last night. No regrets! All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Providing you are hitting your macros, there's no reason why you can't have sugar.

Maybe, maybe not, but some of us just don't want to eat sugar and I don't see a problem with that. After all dieting (lifestyle) is a personal thing, so why eating something we don't like to, just because it fits in the calorie counting or most of the others do? I don't eat sugar, I don't like sugar and I am happy with that :)

fine don't eat sugar..just don't demonize it as something that is "bad"...it is just food..

and yes, you can eat sugar and lose weight. CICO works for everyone, regardless of sugar consumption < assuming no medical condition.

For the record, the OP never said it was bad. Just that she cut out 90% of it.

You can lose weight by cutting out sugary products if that's what is giving you your surplus in calories. Or you can choose to fit it in. I choose to not drink sugary sodas and save at least 150 calories I can put towards food. Nothing wrong with wanting to lower your sugar intake. Nothing wrong with wanting to eat it either. It's about what works for individuals.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Alright then. Bar any individual medical intolerances that most people do not have, your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar.

Also does high dietary glucose affect the livers fatty acids in the same way high dietary fructose 'can'?

How is that first question relevant when we're talking about the average person, without intolerances? The symptoms of food intolerance are pretty similar no matter what you're intolerant to, which is why if you suspect you have an intolerance, you need to do an elimination test.
    Pretty much all fruits contain BOTH fructose and sucrose anyway, you do realise? An apricot, for example, has 0.9g of fructose but 5.9g of sucrose, per 100g. As the fructose is almost always bound to glucose as sucrose, a disaccharide, then yes, it pretty much has the same affect on the liver as just eating a teaspoon of sugar. Which, obviously, nobody would recommend.

The first is relevant to confirm or disprove that glucose and fructose are processed identically by the body!

I do realise this that fruit contains BOTH sucrose and fructose thanks (I also realise that a steak contains both fat and protein and the body has a great way of separating the two things). I was actually asking about glucose and fructose - you did understand that?

There is plenty of research to suggest that fructose is not metabolised by the body the same as glucose - which would therefore suggest the body does not process all sugars identically.

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    I eat sugar...had a chocolate s'more sundae last night. No regrets! All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Providing you are hitting your macros, there's no reason why you can't have sugar.

Maybe, maybe not, but some of us just don't want to eat sugar and I don't see a problem with that. After all dieting (lifestyle) is a personal thing, so why eating something we don't like to, just because it fits in the calorie counting or most of the others do? I don't eat sugar, I don't like sugar and I am happy with that :)

fine don't eat sugar..just don't demonize it as something that is "bad"...it is just food..

and yes, you can eat sugar and lose weight. CICO works for everyone, regardless of sugar consumption < assuming no medical condition.

You can lose weight by cutting out sugary products if that's what is giving you your surplus in calories. Or you can choose to fit it in. I choose to not drink sugary sodas and save at least 150 calories I can put towards food. Nothing wrong with wanting to lower your sugar intake. Nothing wrong with wanting to eat it either. It's about what works for individuals.

^^^^^ this - all day long.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok - if it is not necessary for weight loss and OP does not have a medical condition then why cut it out 90%???? I assume she views sugar as "bad"...but she is welcome to come back in and clarify.
  • MarziPanda95
    edited January 2015
    Options

The first is relevant to confirm or disprove that glucose and fructose are processed identically by the body!

I do realise this that fruit contains BOTH sucrose and fructose thanks (I also realise that a steak contains both fat and protein and the body has a great way of separating the two things). I was actually asking about glucose and fructose - you did understand that?

There is plenty of research to suggest that fructose is not metabolised by the body the same as glucose - which would therefore suggest the body does not process all sugars identically.

Well no, it's not relevant, because we're not talking about people who have an intolerance. Of course they're going to digest things differently if they have a medical problem. We're talking about your average body, here, which does process sugars the same way. And no, I didn't realise you were talking about glucose and fructose, because you never mentioned glucose. Not once. You said sucrose, so I assumed you meant sucrose. Sucrose is kind of just another name for fructose and glucose being bound together to form a disaccharide.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have to try to get over 20g of sugar a day. I avoid fruit unless I am in an emergency right before a workout and need fuel!

I get my vitamins & minerals through vegetables. There is hardly anything you can get from fruit that you can't get from a veggie!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Ok - if it is not necessary for weight loss and OP does not have a medical condition then why cut it out 90%???? I assume she views sugar as "bad"...but she is welcome to come back in and clarify.

You have a good point. Maybe she has a hard time controlling sugary products and it's easier to eliminate it mostly? I know that I personally do better if I limit sugary products. Plus, the lower your daily calorie intake amount is, the less room you have to "play with". Sometimes we just have to make a choice on what things we're going to lower or eliminate.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options

You have a good point. Maybe she has a hard time controlling sugary products and it's easier to eliminate it mostly? I know that I personally do better if I limit sugary products. Plus, the lower your daily calorie intake amount is, the less room you have to "play with". Sometimes we just have to make a choice on what things we're going to lower or eliminate.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/cape-coral/2015/01/13/sugar-addictive/21701489/

Sugar is addictive hence why if you eliminate your cravings will decrease! AND sugar raises your insulin levels & if you don't use it for productivity it can hinder weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options

IDK - I eat 100+ grams of sugar a day and have no issues cutting, maintaining, or bulking..

restricting foods just because one views them as "bad" is how unhealthy relationships with food develop...IMO..

• hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I removed a lot of the refined sugar from my diet because once I am on that sugar roller coaster, it is hard for me to stop. If I have one cookie, I want six more. An hour later I want more...later that evening I want even more. Having said that, I am now used to eating better and when I eat better, I don't crave the sugar like I used to. I do still have cookies or a donut now and then...as long as I'm eating lots of good foods during the day I don't get back on that sugar roller coaster. I have never cut out naturally occurring sugars in fruit, veggies, and I never will because frankly they don't do the same thing to me that refined sugars do.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/cape-coral/2015/01/13/sugar-addictive/21701489/

Sugar is addictive hence why if you eliminate your cravings will decrease! AND sugar raises your insulin levels & if you don't use it for productivity it can hinder weight loss.

protein spikes insulin levels too ...so does protein hinder weight loss...

I love how the news article you posted says sugar is addictive as cocaine or morphine, and then they go on to say that you can have a "safe" amount of added sugar..

so using that same logic, if I am a cocaine addict does that mean that I can do an eightball a week and that is OK, but if I do more than that it is then bad..

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561409002398

Results

The above predications have in common that on no occasion was the behaviour predicted by an animal model of sucrose addiction supported by human studies.

Conclusion

There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.

note - I have not had a chance to read this study in full..but I believe it is just a review of other studies...