Patience

Options
How do you learn patience. Over I time I guess, which requires patience. Argh!

I've lost at what I consider to be a really good rate over the past 3 months. And yet some days I feel so impatient and fat and indifferent, despite logically knowing I've been on the right path (even if I've put on a pound that week - stupid fluctuations).

20 pounds to go and I know I will get there eventually but I wish I could learn a little more patience on the way. Is it even possible to learn patience? Did anyone manage it?

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I try to make goals for just a day! Especially if I have a hectic day or an odd schedule. If I accomplish sticking to my eating plan or getting my exercise in, I consider that a success. That is something that keeps me positive! Other times it is a week long goal, it might not even be weightloss related. Might be do not eat cereal this week. Which is a quick, fast and. Easy food for me but not filling or satisfying. A day at a time or week at a time add up to positives :)
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My current daily goal is getting at least 5 a day, which I'm now managing most days without thinking too hard about it. Perhaps it's time to give myself a new short-term goal.
  • May33338
    May33338 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I take it a day at a time. Losing weight is tough, but having the patience to see it through to the end and continue maintaining it is even tougher.

Maybe you can set daily goals for yourself and remember to pat yourself on the back for every day you get through. Weekly goals are great too.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The Latin root of patience is "patientia"--suffering. I can at least get a momentary giggle out of that, even if it doesn't make the time pass any faster.

Since, though, we usually complain about time passing too quickly, or even passing us by, I try to fill in the times I'm too-eagerly anticipating something by focusing on another project or learning something new or working on an unrelated goal.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Make short term goals. Like hitting or surpassing your protein requirement for the day, everyday. Or doing 5 minutes more a week on the treadmill. Or something small and tangible that makes this a bit easier to bear.