Suggestions on calorie counting please

Options
I'm trying to lose weight based on 1,200 calories a day. When I workout and burn say 500 calories- should I be eating back those calories? Or stay at 1,200 calories regardless of what I burn? What is going to help me lose weight? Any suggestions please

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you should be "eating them back" ... but due to underestimating calories consumed and overestimating calories burned, you'll find that if you do eat them all back you may slow down or even stall the weight loss.

I've seen most folks here recommend eating a portion (50% ??) back ?

Me? There's no consistency. Most days my calorie quota of 1600-ish is fine ... but if I'm still hungry it's like "meh. I ran a 7-miler this morning so I'm gonna make a fat sandwich and not really care". That happens once or twice a week. I'm consistently losing, so it's working.

The key is being honest about what you can afford to eat back. You may have to learn that one through trial and error.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Most will eat back at least half (this gives room for miscalculations).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    By the numbers, you should be eating them back, and at 1200 cals, I would suggest you start by eating them back. Try it for a month and see how things go. If your expected weight loss is reasonably close to your actual weight loss, then you're in good shape and your estimates are reasonably close. If not, then make a small adjustment and repeat the process for a month.

Some trial and error (and a lot of patience) are a necessary part of all this, especially when you are just getting started.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    By the numbers, you should be eating them back, and at 1200 cals, I would suggest you start by eating them back. Try it for a month and see how things go. If your expected weight loss is reasonably close to your actual weight loss, then you're in good shape and your estimates are reasonably close. If not, then make a small adjustment and repeat the process for a month.

Some trial and error (and a lot of patience) are a necessary part of all this, especially when you are just getting started.

This is what I would suggest you do.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat them, can I have them? I'm starving! :smiley:
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you should be "eating them back" ... but due to underestimating calories consumed and overestimating calories burned, you'll find that if you do eat them all back you may slow down or even stall the weight loss.

I've seen most folks here recommend eating a portion (50% ??) back ?

Me? There's no consistency. Most days my calorie quota of 1600-ish is fine ... but if I'm still hungry it's like "meh. I ran a 7-miler this morning so I'm gonna make a fat sandwich and not really care". That happens once or twice a week. I'm consistently losing, so it's working.

The key is being honest about what you can afford to eat back. You may have to learn that one through trial and error.

I try not to eat my exercise calories back but if I have a bad day I consider it a buffer lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

This is what I would suggest you do.

Ditto.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat them, can I have them? I'm starving! :smiley:

lol :)
  • rperryspct
    rperryspct Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with jacksonpt also - eat them all back to start...especially since your daily goal is only 1200 cals. One a side note...I wouldn't drop much lower than 1200 cals, even on days you don't workout - gotta keep the body strong!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i'd be very careful on how you arrive at the number of calories burned. The most common cause of non weight loss, is often people underestimating their intake and over estimating their burns.

With that in mind, i'd eat 1/2 back to start but I'd also get some guidance on what you are burning.

Give some thought to trying to lose a little slower than 1200 , for some it can be too restrictive and they end up bingeing

good luck
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Here this skinny on the entire eat back calories. This is a copy from a old thread that addresses this exact question.

Here are some background definitions before going into this:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Exercise calories, as they are typically used in MFP specifically, is represented by EAT in the above definition. Whether or not you should eat your EAT depends on what system or method you are using to calculate your intake needs.

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake. For example, it will ask you an activity factor that includes an average of your exercise, and with this it increases your TDEE to account for the fact that you are exercising.

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.

Lastly: Exercise expenditure is often over-stated.

My general opinion is that it's much simpler and uses less guess-work to use a custom intake and just forget about the exercise calorie model entirely, but that's a different topic of sorts, more discussion of which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • eggcluck
    eggcluck Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to estimate what I consumed eventually I got some scales ( not so easy to find in China) and found out I was vastly underestimating what I consumed sometimes by as much as 60%. Get scales, be accurate.

For calories burned I used the gym readouts, as some of the numbers on database here seem absurd 30m cleaning vigorous effort, 1000 calories burned? Yea right.

In short up what you think you consume and reduce what you think you burn, it is the safe option. Just my small piece of experience.

P.S a daily is 1200 is such a low value, I would suggest like the others did you eat those calories back.
  • karaleigh322
    karaleigh322 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I really appreciate the feedback!