Overcoming a binge

Options
hey there!

I am having a hard time this morning and would love to connect. I'm feeling out of control and shameful, after doing so well with 'my fitness pal' for a week. I went on a binge. A crazy one last night. I told myself unlike others, I was going to log in everything I ate. I ate 5,000 calories in a day. How eye opening to see. If anyone has any advice, or would just like to connect!

Replies

• TheScottishNocturnalBear
    Options
    just get back on it today, every so often we over indulge just start again the next day! eventually you have much more good days than bad
  • pfinkler
    Options
    I hear you. I ate a bag of Oreos last night and feeling terribly guilty.
  • neelycj
    neelycj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! That is very comforting...I've done it before where I starve the next day. We know that doesn't work.
  • nikitad123
    nikitad123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Ok there is nothing to feel shameful for! We all have bad days, we're only human after all. It's ok, a cheat day every once in a while isn't a bad thing as long as it is once in a while and doesn't become a habit.

You logged it, which is a good thing, now you can look back at that, forcing you to remember how it made you feel and that may prevent you from splurging again. (Although I can't stress enough that its not something to beat yourself up about)

Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going! Its a minor set back, don't let it become a major one and stop you from reaching your goals. You can do it :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't any need to feel guilty or shameful because you can't change the past. Once in a while is not a problem. However, if find yourself doing it more often, my advice would be to re-evaluate the amount of food you eat on a regular/daily basis.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We have all done that. It is great that you logged it and recognize what an oops it was. Now climb back on and get with it again. It might be better if you allow yourself a small splurge every now and then, it might help you to avoid the next binge.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ate 2,000 calories more than I should have, so I'm just cutting back a bit each day until I've accounted for it all. Then I'll get back to normal.
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Check out this website and the authors new book.. "It was me all along" great read if you struggle with binging/life/balance. Andy is one of my biggest inspirations right now.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else- just move on and don't let it derail you! We all have had binges we regret. It happens!
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is a specific group for Binge Eaters on MFP. I would suggest going there. The first thing I would recommend is to look at a calendar and mark what days you ate well and what days you binged. It sounds like you have 7 days eating well and 1 day binging. That's a HUGE win in my book, and something you should be very proud of. Seeing it visually will hopefully help you feel pride in what you did accomplish and make you want to keep up the good work.

Feel free to friend me too. I log all my binges, but I keep on keeping on. You can do this!
  • FrothyGibblets
    FrothyGibblets Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    They happen, you've recognised it's happened and you can face today as a new day. It sucks when it seems to happen so soon after starting, but I feel at the start is when they are most likely. I had a bad day myself about 5 days in, didn't have the heart to add the food as I knew I'd messed up big time.

We're talking massive lifestyle changes here though, very few people will have a perfect run right from the start. Our habits, our comforts, are deeply engrained, sometimes we're going to slip. What's important is that we keep on our feet and don't let the odd stumble take us down entirely.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Some nice responses. I too, have this problem. Would love the support. Fell free to friend me :)
  • clyons609
    Options
    I have also been logging daily for a week and had to get up in the middle of the night last night to eat a sandwich. Now it's only 9:30 AM and I have already eaten 800 calories! My stomach has been growling for days and I just can't seem to get full. I'm going to try to fill up on water. Just keep logging. I'm new to MFP and I'm guessing that as time passes we'll do better as long as we keep logging! Don't get discouraged....
  • neelycj
    neelycj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and understanding! It has really started my day on a much more positive note. I hope everyone has a great day!

PS pfinkler - well I wish my was as crazy delicious as a bag of Oreos , not left over pasta salad and lean cuisines. Haha.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You accepted the fact that you made a boo boo, Thats a winner. what I do to binge is only do it for 3 hours. Eat all I want(stuff myself) in a 3 hour time frame.Usually that keeps you so full the binge stops on its own. I then stop and just keep following my normal lifestyle routine.

Binge fear me..
  • keenansteverson
    keenansteverson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty, so often, that is the hardest step. I am proud of you for logging in the calories and seeking a solution. I suggest exploring what you were feeling and thinking in the minutes and hours before the binge. Consider what need you were trying to fill. This has helped tremendously . Feeling shame is not helpful, but making this a learning experience can have productive results. Keep trying and Good luck!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I had a bit of a binge last night as well, but had just stopped logging in order to avoid seeing the damage. You are right that it's important to log your binges, so I just went back and added everything in as best as I could remember. It's not a pretty number, but it's good for me to see it. Lucky for us, today is a new day and we get another chance to do better!