Feeling Discouraged

Options
Hello All,
I am the proud mother of a beautiful 4 month old little girl and struggling with my weight. I delivered by C-SECTION and am still recovering. About 2 weeks ago I started going for walks and was feeling fine. I decided to start back doing some Zumba light to medium intensity but that didn't go well. After zumba my incision started to leak and was slightly painful. I am now going to stick to just walking. I don't make the best food choices but am getting better. I am always within my calorie goal for the day, but can't seem to see much change on the scale. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It takes time to develop a new routine so cut yourself so slack. Read this thread then read the others ones located at the top of this forum:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have had two c-sections (last one was in April 2014). I can only speak from MY experience. I mainly did walking for exercise for about 4 months after I was cleared (so my daughter was about 8 months old). If you walk and are feeling fine, then I would stick with it. I have just started doing more vigorous exercise - running, step aerobics and kick boxing, within the last 2 months.

I think if you continue to walk and make better food choices, you will see a change. Are you measuring? Sometimes since the scale is not moving, I get discouraged and then I measure myself and have lost some inches.

You do want to push yourself, but not to the point where you are hurting yourself or slowing your recovery. It will happen, just give it time!!! If I can do it, you can!
  • MJP92714
    MJP92714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Branstin‌ Thanks and I will definitely read the thread.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, sorry but you need to ask your doctor what is going on. I had two c-sections and was walking the next day both times, full on exercising, within a month. You shouldn't be having pain after 4 months, nor, I would think "leaking".
    As per weight loss, ALL that is required, is eating at a deficit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Okay, sorry but you need to ask your doctor what is going on. I had two c-sections and was walking the next day both times, full on exercising, within a month. You shouldn't be having pain after 4 months, nor, I would think "leaking".
    As per weight loss, ALL that is required, is eating at a deficit.

This.
  • MJP92714
    Options
    @Luckie519‌ It's getting cold outside so I'm going to start walking at an indoor track at a local rec center since walking will have to be my main form of exercise for a while. Thanks for the advice I never considered taking measurements so I'm going start doing that and try to stay motivated.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Go see your OB, oozing from a 4 month old incision is not normal, you could have an abscess and an infection going on.
  • MJP92714
    Options
    @Liftng4Lis‌ Yes I agree I've seen my doctor twice for this reason as well as a different doctor and even went to the ER. Everyone has said that I am healing well. I have a small superficial opening that I've been told will take a little longer to heal, but I was cleared to return to work and to start light exercise. So I'm hoping that it completely heals well soon because it worries me. I'm just going to focus on Eating better and at a deficit along with walking.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MJP92714 wrote: »
    @Liftng4Lis‌ Yes I agree I've seen my doctor twice for this reason as well as a different doctor and even went to the ER. Everyone has said that I am healing well. I have a small superficial opening that I've been told will take a little longer to heal, but I was cleared to return to work and to start light exercise. So I'm hoping that it completely heals well soon because it worries me. I'm just going to focus on Eating better and at a deficit along with walking.

Good job keeping on it. Putting your little lady in the stroller and walking, is plenty of exercise for now.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Growing babies is such hard work. I had my second c-section 20 months ago. I don't think I exercised for almost a year after my first. With my second, I had a much easier time. Try not to be too discouraged. Take you time. Go slow. If walking isn't hurting you, keep doing that for now. Walking is great! Save zumba for later.

I ran a half marathon the day before I found out I was PG with my second son. I ran during my pregnancy as best I could. At the 7 month mark, I did a 5k and then I jung up my running shoes. After he was born, I tried to get right back in to it... It was TOUGH work. I think the 5k at 7 months was easier than picking up exercise again after having my baby. He was born in May 2013 and I really got serious about running again in january 2014. I could barely do a minute without feeling like I would die. BUT here I am a year later and I can run a mile without stopping.

I don't say this to scare you or anything - I am just trying to illustrate that it will take time and patience. Take care of yourself. Go slow. I PROMISE you will make progress. I PROMISE it will get easier. Just keep walking. You got this!!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby AND a major surgery! Go slow, you'll get there!
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just walking?! :) You can make a pretty good argument that walking is The King of weight loss exercises. Don't misjudge how awesome it is for you.