What Exercises To Do With A Bad Back?

Options
xxellie11xx
xxellie11xx Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Everyone,

I am 19 and I have been using MFP for 10 days now and have lost 4lbs! I work at a newspaper which is desk work. I fell down some stairs in 2013 which will never get better. I wanted to know what kind of exercise i could do? Running/jogging hurts my back, a lot! And if i am on the floor for too long or lying on my back i need help to get up. I do the occasional walk but wanted to know of some other ideas?

Many thanks! :D

Replies

• rhamit
    rhamit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back injury as well and running/jogging hurts my back/hips. I usually walk on a treadmill at a brisk pace (4.4 mph), but when weather is decent I have found that cycling is comfortable and a great work out! Of course I had to find a bike that fit me well and seat that I could handle. Plus, it's fun!
  • MzDequndria
    Options
    My back always hurt, but walking on a treadmill feels better on my back then walking on the track
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking for sure. Also yoga and swimming have helped me.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physiotherapist? Perhaps strengthening your back could help ease the troubles and in the long run help you be more active.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You should really speak to a physio/ Dr who knows your condition. My hunch would be some sort of exercise in water would be ok and you might be able to do the eliptical or stationary bike like recumbant gently.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Backpain/Pages/Backexercises.aspx

or you cna have a look at this charity site.
    http://www.backcare.org.uk/

http://www.backcare.org.uk/CMS/files/701-Eurocrat-220910.pdf

http://www.backcare.org.uk/CMS/files/703-Eurocrat-220910.pdf

http://www.backcare.org.uk/CMS/files/702-Eurocrat-220910.pdf
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe adding an exercise ball into your routine. I have a lower back injury from a car accident, residual pain but nothing major like a herniated or bulging disk. I found that I used to be able to do floor exercises (sit ups, crunches, etc.) without issue, but NOW after the injury, I can't do it, unless I use an exercise ball. I can still get a great abdominal work out without killing my back. Of course, if I overdo it, I'm down for the count. I also use the elliptical which seems to take a lot of pressure off my lower back and knees, and cycling on the recumbant bike (so I'm not slouched). Good luck!
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back falling down stairs as well. My doctor told me that strenghthening my core would help. I would get terrible pain in my back when I walked. I have worked on my core for a year now along with lunges, squats, and lifting weights and haven't had problems with my back in a long time. I've actually been run/walking in the last few weeks with no problems. You may check with your doctor on what kind of exercise is right for you.
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I used to work in a factory I hurt my back. I did ALOT of stretching in physical therapy, that really helps loosen you up. Mostly stretches that you do lying on a mat, crossing your legs and all that good stuff. Maybe yoga would be good for that? I've never done yoga before.

After that I would suggest walking on a treadmill at your most comfortable speed/incline. After a while it started to get easier, but if your back isn't supposed to get better, then take what I am saying with a grain of salt.

Also (you might already know this) but the most comfortable position possible while having back pains is on your back, with your legs on the couch and your butt up against the couch. It is literally the least resistance that your back can feel.

At least, that is what my doctor told me. :#
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a back injury and am still recovering from a lower back fracture. I need a spinal fusion, but cannot have it at this time due to medical reasons. I'm not allowed to use my treadmill, nor my elliptical, but can use my recumbent bike, which I ride almost daily. It has helped me lose over 70 lbs.
  • Gogo_Zowie
    Gogo_Zowie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello there :-)

I have two type of scoliosis and a fracture on a lower vertebra. Like you, I can't jog or run but any aquatic activities are quite good. Swimming and aqua spinning are my favorite. Aqua zumba or aqua trampoline are quite fun too!

Also, working on your abs usually helps because your back don't have to support your weight. Pilates for back injury is also good for me :-)

• xxellie11xx
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I really appreciate it
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MissFitee wrote: »
    Have you seen a physiotherapist? Perhaps strengthening your back could help ease the troubles and in the long run help you be more active.

This.
    I started PT for mine a few weeks ago, its been very helpful.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bad back, but the other day I was researching kettle bell exercises, and surprised to find people doing swings as a good exercise esp for those who have bad backs. You might want to have a look into it?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I ride a recumbent bike and use an elliptical trainer. These are both great and ease up on back pressure, joint pain... Actually I have little back pain at all now.
  • proudbrooks
    Options
    have you seen s physical therapist thet can give you ideas. i have a rod in my back and i cant do all the exercises you listed either. so im going to list things i can do to give you some ideas. bie riding is number 1 for me. then i do yoga as much as i can but stop if my pain increases from the normal level i have and yoga ball exercises are also good to do with a bad back. i hope this helps.also i reccomend you get referal from your primary for physical therapy. they can show you soecific exercises to help you
  • Gunnho
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I am 19 and I have been using MFP for 10 days now and have lost 4lbs! I work at a newspaper which is desk work. I fell down some stairs in 2013 which will never get better. I wanted to know what kind of exercise i could do? Running/jogging hurts my back, a lot! And if i am on the floor for too long or lying on my back i need help to get up. I do the occasional walk but wanted to know of some other ideas?

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Hi there! If your back problem started with a fall, an MRI would be a good idea. That's the most reliable way to find potential damage, and start rehab from there. If it turns out that you are seriously injured, do not start any exercise program without an experienced, competent, and qualified PT, though.
    I had back issues, but luckily, it was due to weak muscles. The doc gave me specific exercises, but those got boring after a while. Strength training helped a lot, and now I'm lifting 4-5 days per week.
    Good luck, get well soon!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Start with a dr and physiotherapist, you cannot get answers over the internet about something like this.