Beginner at the gym who needs some guidance

Options
I have just joined the gym and was wondering if any of you have any good work outs or exercises that can help weight loss thanks

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms include a session with a trainer. They will talk with you about your goals and set you up with a plan and show you how to use the equipment properly. If your gym includes this - take advantage of it!! One gym I belonged to would even give me a new routine every 6 to 8 weeks (included with my membership!). Ask about it.

Free weights are excellent for weight loss. Retain muscle while you lose fat.
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking advantage of any free training. Your program will totally depend on your goals, current fitness levels, and how often and for how long you can go to the gym. If you provide some of this info in the forums, there are lots of different programs that others will recommend.
  • i8sushi
    i8sushi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Basically weight loss is all about caloric deficit and your body is very smart. To make this understandable basically your body will not burn 'fat' straight away, it will first hit your carbohydrate storage so that is from your blood then your tissue. By maintaining a caloric deficit and right amount of macronutrients, your body will have to depend on some of your stored fats for anabolic process to create adenosine triphosphate (ATP) for energy.

Remember a pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories, for a healthy caloric deficit, do not go 500 calories under your TDEE.

As for workouts, do weight lifting high intensity to become toned, this will show as fat shreds and as for cardio, try looking up HIIT, it's more efficient and fat burning than steady pace cardio.

Any questions feel free to add and message me :) always willing to help fellow fitnesspal
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have just joined the gym and was wondering if any of you have any good work outs or exercises that can help weight loss thanks
    include squats to your leg day routine.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilder.com