Best friend's wedding next weekend....what to do?

Options
I am invited to the full day which includes champagne on arrival, wine with a 3 course meal and then a bar through the afternoon/evening. I appreciate dieting shouldn't stop people doing things and enjoying themselves but what on earth am I going to do to at least try to stay within the boundaries? I will swim for an hour before I go but still feel like it's a lost cause.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, be mindful, log what you can and move on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple of hundred under your defecit each day, exercise harder each day and save up a couple of thousand extra calories

Drink sparkling wine ..cava or prosecco is 95 calories a glass...pre log how much you will drink, intersperse with diet sodas and water

Avoid nibbles as much as possible

Have small quantities of the sit down meal and log as best as you can

And have fun for the day
  • caileelouise
    caileelouise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to derail your progress as long as it's limited to this day. It's a special occasion! If you're really concerned, eat the healthiest options available, don't finish all the portions, and avoid anything overly fried, sugary, etc. But seriously, I wouldn't worry about it, diets should fit your life! Just be present and celebrate with your friend :)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Single days won't kill your diet, enjoy yourself and get back on it the next day.
  • Saphira291
    Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I kinda see it as how often do occasions like this come around? I think you should focus more on just enjoying yourself that day rather than worry so much about it. Just pick back up the next day.
    If anything I would say maybe try to lay off drinking too much since it's super easy to consume way too many calories that way. Just have like a glass of champagne to celebrate with them and maybe cut yourself off from there.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the time celebrating with your best friend, log if you want, and the next day get back to it
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to pull out my phone and log everything at an event like that, I estimate by hundreds of calories and keep a mental tally, until I hit my limit for the day. I also am very choosy about what I eat. I only pick my absolute favorite foods and avoid the high calorie foods that are not my favorites. Then I fill my plate with fruits and veggies to fill in the gaps. So I would think "okay, already had two drinks and two plates of food. That's 700 calories, so I need to slow down a little for a bit"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I say it's a lost cause. Have fun, it's just one day.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    When I know ahead of time, I "bank" spare calories.

Starting about 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, I'll short my quota 100 or 200 calories a day, knowing that multiple Thanksgiving dinners (at different relatives/friends homed will break the bank by several thousand calories a day.

Even then it's not perfect. I still gained ... but not near as much as I would have and it was gone a week later.

I'm a big fan of planning ahead.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Go, enjoy, log if you want, don't if you don't. It's one day, and a special one at that. You don't want your focus to be on what you do or don't eat or drink.

Celebrate, and best wishes to your friend!
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be naughty and tell you to just enjoy the day and hang the calories! It's just one day, so take it as a short holiday from your weight loss and get straight back on the horse the following day.

If, however, you know that once you slip you won't be able to get back on, there'll probably be only one glass of champers each, so that's not bad. If waiters come round offering gravy/sauce, just decline. Eat the meat and veg, because that stuff's generally okay, and don't eat TOO much in the way of your carbs. Just a little to be polite. Same with dessert. Eat maybe half of it and then say you're full. A lot of people will be too, haha!

If you want alcohol in the evening, stick with spirits and diet sodas?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I ate 4000+ calories on Christmas Eve, again on Christmas, and yet again the following Saturday. I was about the furthest thing from "mindful" about my calorie intake as I could've been. I ate at a reasonable deficit the next week and ended up weighing a little less than I did before Christmas. I didn't eat a lot less than normal to "make up" for the holidays or do extra cardio in an attempt to burn off the calories.

The moral of the story: Go to the damn wedding, eat whatever the hell you want, and continue as you normally would the next day. And stop thinking that one day of indulgence is going to reverse weeks or months of hard work. Unless you have a friend getting married every week, it's not going to make a difference.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Fayeworth wrote: »
    I am invited to the full day which includes champagne on arrival, wine with a 3 course meal and then a bar through the afternoon/evening. I appreciate dieting shouldn't stop people doing things and enjoying themselves but what on earth am I going to do to at least try to stay within the boundaries? I will swim for an hour before I go but still feel like it's a lost cause.

Decide in advance how much alcohol you want to consume. Eat a reasonable amount of food. Don't eat or drink all the things if you don't want to.
    I'd do the champagne, wine with lunch and then non-alcoholic, unsweetened drinks the rest of the day/night. I'm not really a drinker though so a bar doesn't tempt me. I'd probably eat until I was full.

I wouldn't stress about it. As others have said, it is one day. Maybe eat light the day before and the day after. Exercise as you can. Get back to your normal routine after the event.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of rest beforehand, enjoy yourself, and resume your weight loss plan the next day.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Go, enjoy, join in, but just be mindful - you are in control. If u want to drink all the champagne do, and enjoy it. If u aren't bothered by missing it, go for the soft option or just have a bit to toast and leave the rest. Same with the nibbles etc, don't feel you to have it cos others aren't but don't make yourself have a bad day - you have choices. And you can always burn off some extra calories on the dance floor!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I ate 4000+ calories on Christmas Eve, again on Christmas, and yet again the following Saturday. I was about the furthest thing from "mindful" about my calorie intake as I could've been. I ate at a reasonable deficit the next week and ended up weighing a little less than I did before Christmas. I didn't eat a lot less than normal to "make up" for the holidays or do extra cardio in an attempt to burn off the calories.

The moral of the story: Go to the damn wedding, eat whatever the hell you want, and continue as you normally would the next day. And stop thinking that one day of indulgence is going to reverse weeks or months of hard work. Unless you have a friend getting married every week, it's not going to make a difference.
    ^^^^ This!!! :)
  • grimois
    grimois Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For one day it really doesn't carry much in the way of consequences if you let your hair down and your waistband out. Eat what you like - you'll probably find if you've been "on it" for a while in terms of controlling your eating you'll want less than you might think - you'll be full sooner etc. Enjoy a few drinkypoos and dance your sweet little *kitten* off - this will burn calories anyway!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day...celebrate with your friend and make sure you stay off the scale when you get home. It will likely show a gain which will be water (not actual pounds) and you will just freak yourself out. Trust me I know from experience. It took me a long time to come to that mind set. Get back on track when you get home. :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What I always try to adhere to is to try and not embarrass myself on the dance floor and don't hook up with anyone - never a good idea at a wedding.

Oh wait, what were you asking about?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    What I always try to adhere to is to try and not embarrass myself on the dance floor and don't hook up with anyone - never a good idea at a wedding.

Oh wait, what were you asking about?

Damn guess I'm not asking you to be my plus 1