am I doing this right? 1200 cal....

Options
I have been consuming 4 cups of vegetables with no salt or butter. 2 4oz chicken breast BBQed with barely any salt on them and 160 calorie protein shake with 30 grams of protein. Also 1 cup of grapes.

I have been walking 30-45 mins a day as well. I have been doing this since Monday and have noticed I don't feel is hungry now in what I'm eating is very filling. I have been keeping it under 1200 calories a day and I want to know if I keep this up should I see weight lose?

Monday I was 225 lbs
Today I am 223 lbs.

Replies

• i8sushi
    i8sushi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Basically if your calories are under your TDEE, overtime you will lose weight, try not to go more than a deficit of 500 calories per day, dont want to damage your metabolism. Also you will also notice that your weight will fluctuate, do not become concern as it's normal. Everyday our water weight is different. But what you should do is take body measurements after you wake up.

A pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories :) so to lose a pound of fat that is what you need to remove OVERTIME.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    When you're walking make sure you're going at a fast enough past to cause you to be short of breath and sweaty otherwise it's not going to do a whole lot to burn calories. Also...try to keep your food interesting...if it gets boring then you are less likely to stick with it.
  • Firefly0369
    Options
    When you describe what you eat is that what you do every day or just an example of a typical day. If you eat that every day you will find that not only are you really tired of it but your body will get used to it, so feel free to vary it up. Lean proteins, lots of vegetables, and drink plenty of water (8 glasses) per day. Also keep your calories above 1200 per day. There is some debate about whether "starvation mode" exists but truth is you need calories and if you don't get them you will feel sluggish to no end.

Also walking is a wonderful way to up calorie burn but eventually you want to add strength training. Our bodies love to burn muscle before fat. Some light strength training will help keep that from happening.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi. In answer to your question about "doing it right" I would ask you if you feel this is sustainable for the rest of your life? I see you have about 60 lbs to lose. I had 75 but I'm down to the last 40lbs now. First 35lbs took me a year.

I don't think I could eat solely what you are eating for a long time without going crazy and falling off the wagon. Also, 1200 calories is pretty low. MFP gives you 1200 calories if you select the 2lbs a week weight loss. I managed that for all of a week when I started and then bumped my loss down to 1lb a week. That gives me 1440 calories. The extra 240 really does make a huge difference.

I would recommend if you are eating 1200 calories a day that you eat back the calories you burn from your walking. This way you can still put a little butter on your veg or enjoy a glass of wine now and then.

My food diary is open if you want to view it. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like.

• wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also...try to keep your food interesting...if it gets boring then you are less likely to stick with it.

That's very true
  • Daffodilz_82
    Daffodilz_82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the reason my food is so plain at the moment is because I'm trying to not be reliant on food. Also because it's almost the middle of the month I can't afford anything else plus I really don't know how to cook Anything good and healthy yet. I want to get used to eating the plane basic flavors before I introduce other things into my diet so then when I eat something that's overly salted I won't enjoy it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're human, right? So like it or not, you're going to be "reliant on food" for the rest of your life. We humans need to eat in order to live.

Stop trying to be so restrictive with yourself. That's not sustainable. Eat the foods you enjoy, just eat them in smaller portions.

And if you can read, you can cook.