Potassium

Options
I'm way low on my potassium intake for the day and i'm curious what potassium does for my body? what will happen i im low on a regular basis?

thanks,
shane

Replies

• speckwood
    speckwood Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps regulate your heart muscle and is needed for fluid balance in your body
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Potassium helps regulate your heart muscle and is needed for fluid balance in your body

YES!!! Potassium is very very very important. Throw in a banana a day if you need to up it! :)
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    lack of potassium also causes cramps. i get really bad ones in my legs (charlie horses). I eat bananas to get my potassium.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a balance between potassium and sodium... extremely important. BUT it can be dangerous to take a potassium suppliment without consulting a doctor. Try to get your potassium thru food... so many choices.

check this out for a list of foods high in potassium...
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/potassium-rich-food.htm

there are many other foods not included on this list including oranges and orange juice.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this topic up. I had sugar on my diary and that's been pretty decent, so I took it off and put on potassium (is there a way to add more than six columns?), and lo and behold, I am pretty consistently under the set goal of 3500. Looks like on average I get in between 1400 and 2100 a day, still quite shy of 3500. This presents a problem, as I am leery of potassium supplementation due to some health concerns. Thanks for the links on good food sources. I am pescatarian so my diet is limited only by that, but I will have to explore more variety. Just curious, what's your potassium range, if you care to share?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    bump! curious
  • salexander1980
    salexander1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the input...i had only just above 1000mg which is apparently not enough! Looks like maybe a banana or an extra apple can help... It's hard to cut calories and get the right amount of everything you need! :-) Thanks again!