Water? How much?

Options
Jillatha
Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
I never drink water because I don't really like it but I am thinking now I am doing a LOT of exercise I need it! My mission from now on is to drink the "8 cups" MFP reccomends but how much is a cup?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    8oz
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I class 250ml as a cup amount.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Or 250ml, depending on where you live.
  • Jillatha
    Options
    So I need to be drinking 2L a day?
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water...... LOTS............ cant stress it enough. You will feel fuller throughout the day. When you feel "hungry", try drinking water and wait 15 minutes, if you are still hungry have a snack. Ideally you should take your body weight and drink half of that number in ounces. Example, I weigh 210, so that would be 105 ounces a day..... but I usually hit anywhere from 120 oz to 140 oz a day. It keeps me full and I lose weight each week.
  • Jillatha
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water...... LOTS............ cant stress it enough. You will feel fuller throughout the day. When you feel "hungry", try drinking water and wait 15 minutes, if you are still hungry have a snack. Ideally you should take your body weight and drink half of that number in ounces. Example, I weigh 210, so that would be 105 ounces a day..... but I usually hit anywhere from 120 oz to 140 oz a day. It keeps me full and I lose weight each week.

I don't feel hungry during the day, the reason I am wanting to force myself to drink it is I am getting headaches and that comes from dehydration :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options

I don't feel hungry during the day, the reason I am wanting to force myself to drink it is I am getting headaches and that comes from dehydration :)

Ahh..... I should have added that, but your right, dehydration can cause headaches so ya, have more water and that should help..... Good luck!

BTW... you have made amazing progress with your goals.... Congrats!!
  • copperjoe
    copperjoe Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to drink water but I still find it hard to drink that much water a day. I weigh 245lbs and by your calculations I would need to drink over 6 - 20oz bottles a day, that is a lot of water. I drink 20oz for breakfast, lunch and dinner and another 20 when I workout. How can I get the rest of my water in?
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have a 2L bottle that I refill each day and take to work etc with me. I make sure I drink the full bottle and some more when I exercise etc.

That way I know I have drunk enough. (I do sometimes fill Im forcing it in).x
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is generalized mesaurements. There are hydration calucators out the like this one http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm which tell you exactly how much you need. You will be surprised it's many times more then 8glasses.

Copperjoe - try to calculate how much min water you need, then get a glass 250L /1cup or more and take a drink every half hour or take drinks when yo wake up, before during after workouts, before after meals and before bed you should get it in.
  • copperjoe
    copperjoe Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I forgot to add that I also drink 20oz of black coffee a day too so that also counts. Now all I need to do is get in 20-40 more ozs here and there. Thanks guys!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I forgot to add that I also drink 20oz of black coffee a day too so that also counts. Now all I need to do is get in 20-40 more ozs here and there. Thanks guys!

Try to shoot for 20 more oz during exercise. Thats when I'm my thirstiest. 120 oz should be enough for you a day.
  • PrincessBTits
    PrincessBTits Posts: 198
    Options
    I drink 2L during my workouts alone. So around 4L per day
  • starshine614
    Options
    I bought myself 2 of those nifty 24oz insulted cups. I keep one at work and I have one at home. I fill it up as soon as I get to work and usually fill it up a few times while I am there. I used to munch on snacks a lot while I had a lot of desk work to do. But now that I drink a lot of water I am not filling up on those junky snacks.

If I drink soda, I always make sure to have a glass of water in addition to it. To help flush things out...ever since I had my kidney stones. Somedays I think I will float away!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I drink a lot of water up to 96 oz a day and many times more. I have big water on my desk, at my bedside and in home office. Now my husband is catching on as well.