Feel like eating crap! Emotional Eating. :(

Options
My husband made a comment last night that has sent me into a tail spin today.
I had a friend over and we went on a walk. I also did my C25K run yesterday.
So by the end of the night I had 600 or so calories left, so I decided to indulge and have some ice cream. When my friend and I got home from picking up our treats, my husband said "kind of defeats the purpose of your walk, doesn't it?"
So later, when we were alone, I told him that it hurt my feelings that he said that, and I didn't appreciate the comments he makes regularly about what I am eating or when I am eating it.
He said "well, it did seem counter-productive if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle."
Yes, I understand some people think that you are never supposed to have junk food ever again if you say you want to be thin and healthy, but I just don't want to live like that. I don't want to forbid myself from sweats and treats. And he isn't all healthy either...not that it matters.

Anyway, so then today he was kind of rude to me about another matter and I am halfway between wanting to gorge on junk food and never wanting to eat again. I HATE that I let other people get to me like this!!! :(

Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. My boyfriend is the same way sometimes. I just have to brush it off, and remember that I am doing this for me. And if he can't hang with that, too bad for him. You are doing a great job, and you deserve a reward. Just last night I walked to the local ice cream shop, had some ice cream, and walked back home. I think my two miles cancels out my ice cream. Sometimes, we need to treat ourselves, and there isn't ANYTHING wrong with that. Keep your chin up!
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you did such a major event AND your 68 lb. loss should be enough to have him zip his lip. You're doing awesome.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Don't let other people get you down! You've made such a big change and done great work - just keep up what you've beenn doing! Having an ice cream when you have all those extra calories isn't bad; if you deprive yourself, you'll just end up binging. Just keep focused on all the good you've done and don't worry about anyone else!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Men...Just remember how far you've come and that you earned that ice cream. I know when my husband and I use to go on an all day hike we always treat ourselves to a small soft serve ice cream. It just makes it that much better. You're doing great no matter what he says.
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!! DONT do it you have to remember that most men are not quite as sensitive as we are (notice I said most for you guys reading this) about things just block it out and continue doing the wonderful job you have been doing. Many people make remarks without thinking through how the other person will feel so its best just to close your ears and only listen to the positive instead of the negative. Dont let it get you down :flowerforyou:
  • miclavd
    miclavd Posts: 15
    Options
    68 lbs lost! WTG! You deserve to treat yourself!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    feel for u! and when u work out, that allows u extra cals. ur supposed to be as close to ur net as possible! so tell him f off and that u got this! dont pig out bc it will make u feel worse. trust me. i too am an emotional eater and sum crap set me off earlier, and i went to mcdonalds and maxed. now, im sitting here feeling like an overgrown sloth wishing i hadnt done it! dont do it! ur better then that!
  • Shebug1
    Shebug1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What? Go the rest of your life without ice cream? I don't think so. You should express to him that this is real life and this is how you intend to live it...with the occasional treat! No martyrs here! Enjoy your treat, don't binge over the comment and keep up the great work! You look fab!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    He said "well, it did seem counter-productive if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle."
    Yes, I understand some people think that you are never supposed to have junk food ever again if you say you want to be thin and healthy, but I just don't want to live like that. I don't want to forbid myself from sweats and treats. And he isn't all healthy either...not that it matters.

I don't blame you for wanting ice cream. We all want treats sometimes and you deserved it.

You're obviously doing well with your weight loss so try not to let other people's comments get you down. :flowerforyou:
  • teddyann
    teddyann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds like jealousy coming out of his mouth about your great success to me. You are doing great don't let anyone tell you differently! :smile:
  • thetigerzeye
    thetigerzeye Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get that way too when people (especially important people in my life) make idiodic comments like that. If diets forbid foods that were enjoyable FOREVER there would only be a handful of people in the world that could be skinny. Tell him in the nicest way possible to shove it lol ^_~ you're doing great and DON'T ever EVER let them get to you. I know that's impossible because you love him and you can't just ignore him (though that'd be nice...) do like you did and come to us! We are here and will ALWAYS be supportive of you!!!! *hug*
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I did the same yesterday. I was treating myself to a 150 cals dessert and then came the comment from my hubby that threw me in a spinning mode..my hard earned workout calories went down the drain.. along with an additional 600 cals .......Anyways, it is best to call it day and just move on!
  • Karmiene
    Karmiene Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't think being thin and healthy means you're never supposed to eat ice cream. I don't think it's useful to label foods as good and bad either. Ice cream isn't "bad", it's just ice cream. And, if you earned the extra calories to enjoy some, so be it.

Don't give your power away to junk food or your husband. You're doing a fantastic job. It's obvious by the results you're posting.

Here's my snarky advice: tell your husband to be a know-enough. No one likes a know-it-all.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you on this. :( People just suck sometimes. The only way to maintain a healthy lifestyle is to indulge in something that isn't necessarily healthy once in a while, when you have the space to. Otherwise you'd go crazy and binge! Just keep on with what you're doing, because YOU KNOW what you're doing, and that's what matters! You'll show them all in the end. (:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I see it that way too. How can you change your lifestyle when you can't even have the things that you want, even if its portioned correctly or not? If you had that many cals left, then damn, use them !

Maybe he doesn't know the art of calorie counting? :)
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    NO!!!!! DONT do it you have to remember that most men are not quite as sensitive as we are (notice I said most for you guys reading this) about things just block it out and continue doing the wonderful job you have been doing. Many people make remarks without thinking through how the other person will feel so its best just to close your ears and only listen to the positive instead of the negative. Dont let it get you down :flowerforyou:

Great Advice! Also maybe don't tell him that your dieting:tongue:

I'm an emotional eater & after blowing it again this morning with too many cookies I would have to say I feel really bad....So Don't do it.....I only hurt myself (again) now I have to try harder tomorrow to get into that summer bathing suit (notice I didn't say bikini lol)
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello there
    As a one of those "men" I post this reply with some trepidation:). To me a bunch of different thoughts came to mind. First of all the negative comments you received from your significant other. While it is possible that he meant his statement as one of those "cooly logical, analytical, no harm intended remarks", it comes across as insensitive indeed. So the issue (hate using that word but oh well) is understanding how our comments affect others. I would suggest that you directly ask for a positive comment from him (a long the lines of: " Hi Hubby, I have been working hard on my weightloss/fitness. I have been doing amazing thus far but now I need to hear from you that you realize this also. I gets so hard sometimes to do this all alone") This leaves no doubt in our (sometimes dim) minds that all you really want is support (and clearly deserve it). (The alternative of course is to tell him to mind his own business with the end result that he still has no clue what you need and maybe even figures you for one of those "sensitive" types).
    My second thought relates to this view of ice cream as a treat, which of course harks back to the distant past when a rich combination of fat and sugar was so unattainable and our physiology is finely attuned to craving this (these days of course that are available in overabundance but our bodies are still programmed for stone age conditions. So we have to realize that ultimately we are not designed to handle these in great or constant abundance (no matter how often our bodies say YES:)). I started thinking about ice cream as a "Mistreat", instead now use mostly fresh fruits as a better alternative. (of course my tongue still loves the taste, but my mind is slowly gaining some control back.
    Lastly, the last thought relates to feeling really low when we are critizised by others (esp. our loved ones). It is sooo difficult to be open and sensitive, empathic to the needs of others on the one hand, yet be able to fend off negative emotions and remain unaffected on the other hand. Positive self talk (along the lines of: "Amazing how awesome I really am"; "How lucky for humanity that I am around" type self talk:) works. There is a well known saying that goes: The difference between heaven and hell is not one of altitude but one of attitude". I know this to be true for myself. So, young lady, It is time to remember: You are awesome, you are the keeper of your soul, the captain of your ship, let no one tell you otherwise". Be well, Life is good.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I REALLY appreciate all the kind and supportive comments. He does lack a certain, how should I put it, sensitivity chip? He just doesn't really understand how this "lifestyle" has to include old AND new habits. Overall I just wanted to be a more active participant in my life and I have done that. Maybe it is jealousy, he does comment how he wants to lose his belly, but doesn't do anything about it....and I don't tell him to. I accept him as he is, and I wish he would do the same for me. But he never really has. Looks wise he always says he thinks I am sexy, beautiful, etc, but then will say other things that negates it all. He doesn't see it as judgmental, he thinks hes "motivating" me - even though I told him specifically NOT to motivate me this go round. Which I think has been pretty good so far

Anyway, I so value you all, thank you again for being there for me when I needed someone to talk to! <3<3
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    tha must be super frustrating. emotional eating is super hard to come over too :( i wish you the bet. try to remember why you're doing this and that you know what you're doing is best for you
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate when people make comments about what I'm eating or my diet. It's no one's but your own. You definitely deserved it! And you've lost 68 pounds! That's awesome! :)