Healthful snacks?

Options
anyone have some good snacking suggestions that will help keep me going throughout the day? I feel like I have a grip on my meal sizes and nutrition in those, but, I'm not sure exactly what to snack on to keep my calories and sugar down...
Thanks!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diabetic type 2 in remission here. Snacks are my regimen. Mix these up in any order.

For carb, crackers (wasa, finn), dry popcorn, veggie chips, pretzels
    For protein, edamame, hummus, 30g cube of low-fat cheese, 1 tbsp peanut butter, snack portion of yogurt or greek yogurt, 1 walnut, 10 peanuts. hard-boiled egg
    Veggies: bell pepper, carrots, celery
    All-in-one, 1/2 protein bar. I have a stash of these in my desk drawer for emergencies.
  • DizzyMom815
    DizzyMom815 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks!! Those are great ideas!! I have 3 small kids, so, I, finding it really difficult to not just pop some goldfish in my mouth or finish off their lunch...if I keep those around, it might not feel so hard :)
  • kitsilana
    kitsilana Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's a great list!

I'd add slices of ham, turkey or chicken breast to the protein section.
    And snap peas and kohlrabi to the veggies.

I also find it's important to spend some time each week(end) restocking my snack options pile and prepping a bunch of stuff for the week ahead.

For example, it takes the same amount of time to hard-boil 6 eggs as it does one. Stick em back in the fridge and eat them as you need.

I like protein-rich snacks, and often a small glass of 1% milk is enough.

• itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1. string cheese
    2. Cuties
    3. boiled egg
    4. grapes
    5. greek yogurt (plain)
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    Quest bars, clementines, apples, celery with PB2, Greek yogurt cups, raw veggies with guacamole or hummus, string cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, 100 cal packs of almonds or walnuts, dried edamame, protein shake, banana, Lara bars, organic fruit leathers, single squares of dark chocolate, jerky, whole wheat toast with almond butter....just some of my favorites. I have more snacks than meals. Lol.
  • DizzyMom815
    Options
    Wow! You guys are lifesavers!!
  • Rlyn444
    Rlyn444 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes I definitely do veggies and fruit if I need something quick, also some ideas

Cut an avocado in half put salsa in the middle with some lime on top, supper yummy and good nutrients.
    Hard boiled eggs
    Roasted tomatoes on crackers with a little bit of cheese
    One of my favs is the classic yogurt granola or crunchy cereal and fruit
    Also a diff type of snack, wheat break with a little almond butter with apples on top and a tad bit of jelly, supper yummy and not to many calories

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, protein/snack bars (watch the calories though), bananas, any fruit really, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat slices, veggies pieces (think celery sticks), hummus, peanut butter with celery.... so many choices honestly.
  • darlenehleonard
    darlenehleonard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp apples are my favorite. Lite vanilla greek yogurt with thawed frozen strawberries tastes so good for (<100 calories) you feel guilty :smile: )
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Strawberries with light cool whip
    Greek yogurt
    Beef jerky
    Ostrim meat sticks
    Ostrim trail mix
    PB with banana
    PB with celery
    PB with apple
    Veggies with hummus
    Hummus with pita bread
    Chips with pico de gallo
    Chips with guacamole
    Veggies with guac
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Hard boiled eggs
    Rice cakes with PB2
    Deli meat and cheese roll ups
    Quest bars
    Lara bars
    KIND bars
    Zone bars
    Luna protein bars
    Homemade protein muffins
    Homemade protein bars
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cut up 2-3 cups of fresh veggies the night before or in the morning and that is my snack throughout the day, usually with hummus. Today it was 1/2 cup raw green beans, 1/2 cup raw cauliflower, 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup baby carrots, 1/2 cup radishes, 1/2 cup sliced orange peppers. I made a container for today and tomorrow. That helps me a TON. Also 100 calorie yogurt. Skinny pop. Apples.
  • DizzyMom815
    Options
    Thank you all, a million!! I know it seemed like such an amateur question, but, I've been out of the health game for about 4 year....I've been eating all my kids' crap for that long....so my mind needs to be reset :)

Thank you, all! So much!!