thoughts on supplements?

Options
Just wondering what people think of supplements. And GO!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What kind of supplements?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There are many, many supplements that are a waste of your time and money. There are a few, however that could be useful. And that is completely subjective based on your goals.

For me, the ones I've found useful, or believe to be useful are:
    Multivitamin
    Omega 3
    Vitamin D
    Creatine

Ever looked at Examine.com? They do a pretty good job of compiling information on different supplements and helping you decide if they would be useful to you.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I take supplements because I do not believe that I can get all my nutrition from my food. I also get my blood work done twice a year and adjust for deficiencies. I take a multi, Omega 3, Vitamin D, low dose aspirin, CoQ10, calcium, among others that are for different functions of the body.

If you do decide to take any supplements you need to realize that there are those -- such as omega 3 -- which are fat soluble and need to be taken with food.
  • janellenicole1
    janellenicole1 Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I take Juice Plus, its not a supplement. It's 30 nutrients from fruits and vegetables in a capsule.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Like, vitamin supplements? Weightlifting supplements?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Take what you need. If you aren't sure if you need it, ask your doctor.

Three rules of supplements:

1. Must be recommended by or okayed by the doctor.
    2. Must fix or have the potential to fix something that is wrong.
    3. Must be safe.

If it doesn't fit those three things, I will not swallow it.

Never take anything if you don't know exactly what it is, can't trust the source or didn't get your doctor to okay it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin everyday, protein powder if I'm having a hard time hitting my goal for the day, and a preworkout because my stomach can't handle a cup of coffee at 4:30am.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I take an omega oil capsule because I have higher cholesterol, and a probiotic, just to make sure I have happy gut and colon enzymes.

I tried taking green tea extract, raspberry ketones, and something that had garcenia cambogia in it, and that freaked out my liver. I had been taking them for about a month when I went to see my endocrinologist (who tests for stuff like that). After seeing the test results (which were emailed to me prior to the dr. appt.), I stopped taking them, talked to him, and we tested my liver numbers about 10 days later....what do you know - they were back down to normal.

Just be careful of what you take, make sure they're doing what they're supposed to be doing (if they aren't helping - don't take them; I couldn't tell if they were helping or not), and make sure whatever you do take isn't harming your body in some other unexpected way.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...

Ergogenic Supplements (improve performance): Many do not do what they claim to do or best case scenario researchers can't prove that they do what they do and some fall into a classification of "maybe they work". Some supplements that are a definite yes are Creatine, Caffeine, and I've listened to researchers over the last couple months talk about Beta Alanine but have not read anything myself.

Fat Loss Sup's (could fall under Ergogenic): Largely no they don't work. Some research suggests L-Carnatine works in obese individuals but that's one that falls into the "maybe works" category.

Vitamins: They are what they are and if you're deficient in something they should help. Many folks argue that they're unnecessary and you get your micro's from your food, which is pretty true really. But nobody's diet is perfect and think of something like a multi-vitamin as an insurance policy. On a side-note, Vitamin D deficiency is showing indications that it leads to neurological disorders later on in life (i.e. Alzheimers)

Protein: They are what they are, an alternative source of protein so nothing special there. Beware of cheap brands of Whey as some of the cheap brand user filler products like Taurine and then brag about their protein content.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only use 2, whey protein (sometimes and only if I'm famished after working out, or I didn't eat enough protein) and Calcium with Vitamin D, which I take because I am on birth control shot that my doctor said can make bones more prone to osteoporosis so they recommend that I take it, especially since I don't really eat dairy that often.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm taking omegas, bcaa, whey protein, a fat burner, pre workout powder, and beta alanine caps. I've used these supps for 3 years now ( changing every 10 weeks or so) and they seem to help me. I've definitely got a lot stronger and my endurance is better. The preworkout powder is questionable though.. every brand I've taken hits me differently and I'm not sure if it even works but in the back of my mind I'm thinking " this crap cost me $50 so I better make it worth it" lol that gets me through my workouts.

I have taken creatine but didn't really notice anything special.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only use 2, whey protein (sometimes and only if I'm famished after working out, or I didn't eat enough protein) and Calcium with Vitamin D, which I take because I am on birth control shot that my doctor said can make bones more prone to osteoporosis so they recommend that I take it, especially since I don't really eat dairy that often.

I should probably take more vitamins. Would you recommend a multivitamin?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I should probably take more vitamins. Would you recommend a multivitamin?

Think of a multi-vitamin as an insurance policy that you're getting all of your micro-nutrients. If you're confident in your nutrition then you may not need to worry about it, but otherwise a multi-vitamin won't hurt. Gaspari Nutrition has one I take and unfortunately I cannot remember the name for the life of me.