Will walking really make a difference?

Options

Replies

• xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Walking is such a good exercise, I walk to work which is 2.5 miles from my house. I also walk my dog every day for about 40 to 60 mins and longer at the weekends. Most days I walk well over 10k and thats burning over 500 calories without feeling the hurt :-)
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    markie166 wrote: »
    I walk every day ( weather permitting ) and it has done wonders to not only my fitness / fatness but also my general mood. Careful with the calorie burns, try and get as many hills in as you can. I found that by altering my routes constantly, having a large selection of music on the player really helped too

I totally agree, since ditching the car for walking to work instead my mood has improved incredible amounts - no more road rage LOL and also love listening to tunes on my iphone :-)
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds by walking during my lunch break every day and drinking a lot of water. I ate reasonably but didn't worry about counting calories, etc. It can be done!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    25-30 minutes of walking each day is great. It helps your cardiovascular system, strengthens your bones, and makes you stronger in general. And it will help burn some calories on top of all that.
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs in about a year by walking and eating better. So It should work.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I do it as often as I can. I absolutely cannot wait for it to warm up here in Georgia so I can take it back outside.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    the best exercise in the world for unfit people. You do something for 10-15 seconds and rest for 1-2 minutes usually. I mean come on...

HAHAHAHA!

• AdelleDazeem
    AdelleDazeem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    getting a fitbit and walking 10k steps most days sped up my weight loss.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15# so far doing nothing but walking and logging my food. (And I'm intentionally only losing 1# a week, I could have probably lost more if I'd been willing to eat less.)
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I take 2-3 short walks around the block during the work day. I started doing this when I quit smoking a month ago as a way to still go outside and not smoke. An unexpected side effect is that it also helps me get over a hunger craving. Not only good for the body, but the mind too.
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find the same with hunger cravings, actually. Especially those that come from feeling bored and unsettled (i.e., not really 'hunger' cravings).
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best. It clears my mind, gets me outside in the fresh air and it's fun to monitor calories and distance with a pedometer!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yup! Walker here! It's been in the last 3 weeks that I finally started jogging intervals... So basically I lost over 100 pounds with walking being my major source of exercise.
  • danniinw
    Options
    Thanks again for all the positive encouragement everyone I'll keep it up. I'm getting to love my lunch time walks. I too quit smoking about 6 months ago so the walking is great for getting me out of the office.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Walking worked a treat for me; it's still my favorite thing to do. I started with 15-20 minutes a day, enjoyed it, and got up to 3-5 miles a day (about an hour) with as many as 10 miles at the weekend. I lost weight faster even when I walked just a little bit, too. Put in some headphones, turn on Endomondo or something else if you enjoy tracking how far you've gone, and enjoy it!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i use map my walk website to work out distances etc if you don't have something that monitors it all for you
  • bleanbeef
    bleanbeef Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! The end.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Get up to walking 10 to 15K steps per day and it'll really help you melt away.