Changing how I stock the fridge...

Options
Ladydi1982
Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
Ever since I can remember, my mom would always keep fruits and veggies in the "crisper drawer." This has been passed on to me. Now that I am married and do my own grocery shopping, I tend to buy more fruits and veggies than I think my mom did. Here's the problem: I was using the crisper drawer to store them and you know the phrase "out of sight, out of mind?" well, that became oh so true for me. Every week, I would go through the stupid drawer and throw out the rotted half zucchini, or broccoli that eventually turned brown and smelly... I was not ok with this! Not only were we throwing our money away, we were also throwing away things that at one time were super healthy to EAT!!!

I told my husband things were going to change... and they did! I took all the veggies out of that crisper and my husband's beer now resides there. Fruits and veggies that need to be refrigerated are now out in the open on the second shelf of the fridge! I have been eating them every day and even replenishing what has been EATEN (read: not rotted!) every week! This has worked like a charm and now I'm feeling healthier because I am making myself eat better. Plus, it looks so pretty and healthy and fresh when you open the door... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    More importantly the beer is nice and crispy cold.

Seriously, that is a super-smart idea........going to fridge now......Hey! There's no beer. :grumble:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    We don't have beer, but I was thinking of moving our bread and that stuff into those drawers...Cauliflower and apples take up a lot of space!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing, but not quite for the same reasons - I was running out of room in the crisper drawers. LOL So now I store some of the kids lunch stuff in the crisper drawer (juicy juice, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc..) along with some other odds and ends.

It is great to open the fridge and see all the healthy choices you made @ the store! :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Seriously, that is a super-smart idea........going to fridge now......Hey! There's no beer. :grumble:

I could be really mean and offer you one of the two cans or two bottles of soda we have had in the fridge since last summer. The cans are Coke, but the bottles are strawberry kiwi high end stuff. We used it to make pink floats last summer, but neither of us actually drinks much besides water.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I did the same thing I eat more of the fruits and veggies when I can see them. Only in my fridge it's usually bottled water in the crisper drawer When I do buy beer it usually doesn't survive in the fridge very long anyway :-)
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Great idea- I think I am going to do the same!!!! <3
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    Sounds wonderful to me! I have some cool new tupperware storage with fresh vents, so i wash/cut lots of my fruits & veggies and store in them...they last longer and stack neatly!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

I could be really mean and offer you one of the two cans or two bottles of soda we have had in the fridge since last summer. The cans are Coke, but the bottles are strawberry kiwi high end stuff. We used it to make pink floats last summer, but neither of us actually drinks much besides water.

Oh - a local bartender got me started on dark beer with soft serv ice cream - so pink floats would be an improvement. :laugh: Granted I only had two and it's been over a year ago - but yummmm

/highjack
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reorganize my fridge right now!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's nothing in my crisper. Have found too many dead and disgusting things in there. lol

But yes, I also put stuff I want to SEE on the top shelf so it doesn't rot while it's forgotten. I've also learned to put stuff I want to hide in the door since the hubby never looks at what's in the door. :laugh:
  • jvfletcher
    jvfletcher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student and live in an apartment...I had the same problem. I switched it up and put the fruit and veggies out on the shelves as well.

I took it a step further and now each time I grocery shop, I come back and prep all the fruits and vegies I just bought. I'll wash the grapes, chop up strawberries, cut carrots, peel and cut mangoes and kiwi, etc and then put each fruit/ veggie in an individual tupperware container. The produce stays ULTRA FRESH and is easy to grab a healthy snack or add a healthy side to a meal. Makes me have NO excuse not to eat it AND it looks sooo organized :)
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    so true! i keep my kids' apple sauce and juice boxes in there because those things never go bad lol. my fruits and veggies have always been at the top shelf
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing I eat more of the fruits and veggies when I can see them. Only in my fridge it's usually bottled water in the crisper drawer When I do buy beer it usually doesn't survive in the fridge very long anyway :-)

Hahahha meee toooooo!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    I'm a college student and live in an apartment...I had the same problem. I switched it up and put the fruit and veggies out on the shelves as well.

I took it a step further and now each time I grocery shop, I come back and prep all the fruits and vegies I just bought. I'll wash the grapes, chop up strawberries, cut carrots, peel and cut mangoes and kiwi, etc and then put each fruit/ veggie in an individual tupperware container. The produce stays ULTRA FRESH and is easy to grab a healthy snack or add a healthy side to a meal. Makes me have NO excuse not to eat it AND it looks sooo organized :)

SUCH A GREAT IDEA! I always try to make salads and healthy meals to take with me, and whenever I have too much I put it in tupperware and leave it in the fridge. When I come home I always am hungry and when it is sitting right there- I grab it and have a healthy meal. When I have to cut and wash and chop-I will sometimes go for something not as healthy. Thanks for the advice! I am going to reorganize my fridge and stock up on the healthy essentials, and this time keep them RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

(I've thrown away too many nasty rotting veggies as well. It makes me mad, so thanks for this post!)
  • JatieKo621
    Options
    And since we are on this topic- are fresh fruits and veggies better if the tupperware is sealed? OR should I leave the lid off? I am never sure how to store them, like I will cut up broccoli crowns and I don't know if its better to let them "breathe" or to have them in a closed tupperware container. Is it different for different produce?
  • mcurtis01
    mcurtis01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    tupperware has specific containers for storing fruits and vegetables called fridgesmarts!
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, sometimes the best ideas are the simplest! The beer is going into crisper right now!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BRILLIANT! I shall ALSO free my fruits and veggies from the dark cave where they have been kept imprisoned!