will eating too much sugar and carbs from fruit and veg stop the weight loss?

Options
I recently decided to go back into healthy eating and I'm doing super food smoothies every morning, healthy lunch and dinner. I am just worried since veg and fruit have a lot of carbs and sugar weight loss won't be happening. on a non carb diet I lose it very quickly but it's not maintainable so I thought I'll change and eat how I would forever. any advice will help! thanks

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, calories are what matter.
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No it shouldn't. You just have to make sure the amount of calories you are eating are reasonably under your TDEE.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You have to find an eating plan that is sustainable for you. Obviously the no/low carb plan doesn't work. I eat tons of fruit in the summer - I've never noticed that it has had an affect on weight loss.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nope. To lose weight, you just have to stay at or under your calorie allowance :smile:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you take in fewer calories than your body needs to run, you will lose weight.
    It doesn't matter where those calories come from; if you eat 2000 cal of carrots, or 2000 cal of doughnuts you will have the same amount of calories [/i](more or less... unprocessed or uncooked foods don't get as many calories absorbed)[/i] and it will have the same effect on your weight loss.
    The nutrition will be vastly different.

That being said, eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss. Links to the studies in this blog post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think, unless you have health issues where you need to limit those things, it won't really make a difference. I'm always over on carbs and sugar (I don't even track sugar) from fruit. I rarely get carbs or sugar from other sources. I'm trying to find a diet plan I can stick to long term and limited carbs or sugar for me just isn't sustainable. I love fruit and veggies.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat enough fruits/vegetables to put you over your maintenance calories
  • aliseasea
    aliseasea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned from WW is that people don't get "fat" from eating too many fruits and vegetables :) The sugar and carbs you are getting from them are healthy and your body needs them - much better than processed sugars and carbs. Plus you are getting additional vitamins and nutrients that, unless you are taking vitamins, your body really needs.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, here's a newbie help post I did which has links to lots of useful info, including sexypants.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The sugar from the fruit burns faster and easier then other sugars..... but it still comes down to calories in Vs Calories expended.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit. I'm often over my sugar goal by lunch time! But as long as I keep within my calorie goal, I still lose weight
  • alladriksne
    alladriksne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for all your great tips' I think I'll carry on eating fruit and veg and healthy foods just going to stay within calorie range like I do now and do exercise! will see what happened in few weeks!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aliseasea wrote: »
    One thing I learned from WW is that people don't get "fat" from eating too many fruits and vegetables :)The sugar and carbs you are getting from them are healthy and your body needs them - much better than processed sugars and carbs. Plus you are getting additional vitamins and nutrients that, unless you are taking vitamins, your body really needs.

Incorrect.

You get "fat" by consuming a calorie surplus. It matters not where that calorie surplus comes from, the basic principle remains the same.

You get "fat" by creating a surplus with too many fruits and vegetables just as you get "fat" from creating a surplus with too many donuts.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I could easily go over my calories by just eating fruit, especially avocado which I love! The bowl of fruit I have for lunch most days comes in at over 200 calories
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If fruiting it up halted my weight loss, I guess I'd be done by now.

I don't know the effects of different foods on weight loss, if any, but I do know that I'm over 80 down with tons and tons of fruit...and some vegetables. :)
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not necessary for weight loss, however some people (like me) feel hungrier eating high carb foods. For example, I could have rice with a meal and be ravenous after, but if I have the same meal minus the rice I'll feel full (despite having fewer calories). If this isn't an issue for you, or if you don't have a medical reason for lower carbs, eat those fruits and veggies to your heart's content :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me hungrier, so I have to limit them, but the carbs themselves don't make me gain weight/keep me from losing weight, no.

It does come down to CICO. If I eat a lot of carbs and manage to stave off the hunger and still eat within my allowance, I still lose.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Carbs make me hungrier, so I have to limit them, but the carbs themselves don't make me gain weight/keep me from losing weight, no.

It does come down to CICO. If I eat a lot of carbs and manage to stave off the hunger and still eat within my allowance, I still lose.

carbs make me hungrier too. Except when I eat fruit, this seems to fill me up and keep me satisfied. Could be because of the fibre....

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I agree, both about how it is Calorie In Calorie Out and that for some people carbs may increase appetite. They do increase my appetite, but I am absolutely evil without them, so I am finding a balance. I eat lots of fruit, but I do get more cravings after I eat something higher on the glycemic index (like a banana) versus an apple, so I pair it with a protein(banana/ peanut butter or banana/ greek yogurt). I do the same with my brown rice/quinoa or whatever I'm having for dinner. If it's not affecting your appetite and making you more likely to go over your calorie goals for the day then there's no reason to limit something as yummy and nutritious as fruit.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree too. I reciently added fruit smoothies to my diet and have not seen an increase in weight. I think basic in and out and its natural sugars with fiber. Maybe update after a not and let us know!