Hula or Belly Dancing for fitness?

Options
Is anyone doing hula or belly dancing for weight loss? Has it been effective? Any dvd recommendations?

Replies

• pinkarrow
    Options
    I do belly dancing and have for about 6 years, but I don't necessarily do it for weight loss. It is a fun form of exercise though (depending on the style of dance you choose!) and I love it! I dance tribal fusion style which is very fluid and snakelike most of the time... not exactly what I would consider a good aerobic exercise. Look up Rachel Brice on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about. A more aerobic style in my opinion would be Turkish! There's lots of fast moves in this style of dance and really makes you sweat! :) Hope that helps... I unfortunately only own tribal fusion DVD's so couldn't recommend any to you that is more fast in style, sorry. Have fun and look up Turkish belly dance on YouTube as well as Egyptian and tribal/tribal fusion to see the different styles out there!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have done some of the Shimmy workouts on FitTv and while they are challenging in the movement aspect, I didn't feel especially challenged physically. I prefer swing. I just learned the Lindy Hop and it will make you sweat! But really, it's what works for you and your stage in the game right now. I know belly dancing makes me feel uber sexy and there is always something to say for that. ;0)
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I took a belly dancing class for a semester. It is good for isolating muscles and control over your body. Flexibility and it is good for weight loss. I wasn't tracking then, but you if you are consistent it should be good for ya. Also it is fun which helps with staying motivated. if you want something more intense i would recommend zumba.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's very good. Not necessarily a weight loss thing - as far as high cardio - but great for toning.

Bellydance Superstars have tons of great videos (PS, they're always on tour too so check that out! AWESOME show!!!)
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I've done both and loved both. Have fun!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    If you haven't already tried Zumba, I would highly recommend that. The class I do at my gym has a whole dance that is Belly Dancing and one of the workouts on my DVD is mainly Belly Dancing. I really feel like its defined my hips and sides. I don't always feel like the "sexiest" gal but they are nice movements to try and bring out my sexy side! I love love love Zumba! :o)
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I totaly love it,so fab for abs,obliques and hips.
    :tongue:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Another thing about bellydancing - it is very forgiving and accepting of ANY size and body shape. You will never be 250 lbs and pick up ballet and be able to do it - but bellydance - you can do it at any weight - and the bellydance community supports dancers of any weight, does not shun them or think that they are working out and dancing until they get to a certain size where they can then "really" be a dancer.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Another thing about bellydancing - it is very forgiving and accepting of ANY size and body shape. You will never be 250 lbs and pick up ballet and be able to do it - but bellydance - you can do it at any weight - and the bellydance community supports dancers of any weight, does not shun them or think that they are working out and dancing until they get to a certain size where they can then "really" be a dancer.

Absolutely right! :) My current instructor is of a heavier size and can bust out the moves like nobody's business! There's a lot of support amongst the bellydancers and they actually look at the bigger women as "Goddesses"... I like that!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i do Turkish belly dancing for weight loss and Tribal Fusion for fun. when i need a lighter work out i smoosh the two together (which is actually my favorite to do!) i'd take it up! Belly dance classes are always full of bigger girls and girls who think bigger girls are beautiful! its a very supporting community ^__^

(any other belly dancers here seen the interview with Rachel Brice where she talks about the 200 lb belly dancer that she saw and made her want to become one her self. i <3 Rachel she's so sweet!)
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to give it all a try! What a fun thing to try with my 3 girls!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I belly danced for several years and loved it. Not to mention the really fun things you can do with it beyond just fitness, adding fabric throws are great tricep routines and thigh and calf toning go a long way here too with so many of the movements beyond just ab work. The cardio is what you make of it, the faster the song the faster the movement, the more the work out. You will love it.!
    Besides people always give you a look of awe when you say "I'm a belly dancer" :)
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

i noticed that! I am a ballet dancer and in any of the bellydancing classes I've looked up I'm the outcast for not having enough curves! (not outcase in a judgmental way...but just not the goddess lol). I like it! Dance that's sensual and non-judgmental! Now I have to get the courage to actually ENTER the class.
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know I'm in an old post. Does anybody know how many calories you burn you could even subgroup them if that would be easier. I'm looking for more fun stuff. I'm proficient at boring workouts. lol so now i'm looking to learn some dance moves. I'm not that great of a dancer so I want to learn.