Anyone ever try Soylent?

Options
I'm currently inpatient for Addison's disease, and while killing time researching I came across soylent and got super stoked. I'm new (few months) to veganism, having recently gained the approval of both my endocrinologist and my hematologist and even though I'm on heavy steroids (catabolic and for my illness, not anabolic) I am having the hardest time putting on weight due to unpleasant side effects of my treatment, it's hard to eat, hard to keep food down, I have issues with absorption and LOTS of nausea and food prohibitions :( Soylent seems like it'd be the perfect way to consume calories! I just wonder if it's safe and also if the content of vitamin K would be harmful (because I'm on coumadin) - I will ask my docs, of course, but the hospital nutritionist isn't exactly the most understanding person ever (at least the one that spoke to me), even though I explicitly stated that my docs were 100% ok with my diet she harped on how I'd never gain on a vegan lifestyle and I'd waste away and etc, etc, etc and I'd always be anemic due to "lack of meat" (my anemia is due to a blood disorder, I take iron but it's pretty useless as I am getting transfusions regardless due to my marrow not producing enough RBCs)...sometimes I find it weird that nutritionists can't understand that BEANS are a thing (and my 9bean pottage is killer) ;)

Anyone else try it before? I was on Ensure as inpatient for ED a LONG time ago and it was always so, so bad, so I hope it at least tastes better.

Replies

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Is Soylent available for purchase yet? Last I heard it was still being funded by Kickstarter.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Soylent Green? ;) I'm sorry I couldn't resist.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's people you know
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you drink enough Soylent you should put on weight. I hear it's thick like pancake batter with a vanilla taste. As for vitamin K and coumadin, anytime you change your diet you should get your PT/INR checked. Ideally you should be getting it check monthly, more if something changes. It's not that you can't eat vitamin K it's that you need to eat a consistent amount. If you're eating the same amount of soylent every day then you're getting the same amount of vitamin K. Get a check and a recheck and your dosage adjusted if necessary.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Soylent (green) is people.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone gets it, the guy named it after Soylent Green, and Soylent Green is people. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, it's a thing, and OP has a legitimate question.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's odd that they'd put vitamin K in a product, since most people make enough in their gut.

And the company's choice of name is unfortunate to say the least.
    Almost on the order of naming a space heater the "Dresden" model, or a bed intended for a little girl the "Lolita" model. (Yes, those actually happened.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone gets it, the guy named it after Soylent Green, and Soylent Green is people. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, it's a thing, and OP has a legitimate question.

Ahahaha sorry I legit thought it was a joke thread!

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is Soylent available for purchase yet? Last I heard it was still being funded by Kickstarter.

According to their website they've already shipped 3 million bags, so it sounds like it's up and running. I've never heard of the product, but it seems like something that the OP could use to bulk.

Also, their website says there is a 4-5 month delay in shipment, so OP if you want to try it, you should order now and realize that it's going to be a while. Between now and when it arrives, maybe try to find a different nutritionist who is more understanding of your lifestyle but still understands your medical problems?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Soylent is a thing. The name is intentional. Not made of people.
    http://www.soylent.me/

About the developer:
    http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/rob-rhinehart-no-longer-requires-food

Nutrition label:
    http://blog.soylent.me/post/74770956256/soylent-1-0-final-nutrition

I've read that Rinehart will modify the formula if anyone convinces him he's missed something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with the nausea and food intolerances/prohibitions. From my personal experience, might I suggest you get the smallest pack available, just in case Soylent does not agree with you either? You might also try different methods of eating/drinking like through a straw, tiny portions, that sort of thing.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You do mean that you'd be adding it to your regular diet and not using it as a meal replacement, right? I know the idea is that it's complete nutrition and you can just consume Soylent, but in your case I don't think that would be advisable.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Apologies for the delay, it's a bit hard to keep on track of the internet in the hospital! It's not a joke thread, :blush: The name is funny, though, I get the Wumpscut song stuck in my head every time I say it (not to mention the movie)
    wrote:
    Also, their website says there is a 4-5 month delay in shipment, so OP if you want to try it, you should order now and realize that it's going to be a while. Between now and when it arrives, maybe try to find a different nutritionist who is more understanding of your lifestyle but still understands your medical problems?

Good to know! I'll speak to the doc ASAP about it so I can order it already, I am very worried about my weight loss (it's a bad side effect) and it's always bad when you're losing and can't really eat because it's the one time in life when it pays to have some extra padding.

It's hard to find good nutritionists, unfortunately. :( The hospital one I thought was going to be great because she advises the patients at the cancer center, but apparently cancer patients can't be vegan according to her, though my hematologists says he has a bunch of patients who keep to a very high carb and high protein diet on chemo and they're all fine, even equivalent to their omnivore patients (though we do need extra B12 shots and vitamin D)
    wrote:
    As for vitamin K and coumadin, anytime you change your diet you should get your PT/INR checked. Ideally you should be getting it check monthly, more if something changes

If it's pasty, like milkshake-y like, then all better :smile: I hated Ensure because it tasted like ashy milk (I know it's a colorful description, but you get what I mean)
    Since I started on steroids, I check my PT/INR every four to five days, it's a PITA, but it's a necessary evil. It's been pretty stable considering. I do miss kale and spinach, and I only allow myself leafy greens twice a week per doc's orders. I compensate on lots of beans, though.

-

Issue with having to cut white carbs (because steroids predispose you to developing diabetes 1 -- also the sec Addison's, too) and leafy greens when you're vegan and not absorbing stuff well it's that it becomes so hard to get enough calories that you feel like just giving up, but I don't think I'd be able to ever eat meat again, and not just because of the ethical reasons, but it also used to make me very sick to my stomach because of the amount of time it demanded of me, digestion wise. I sometimes have that issue with beans (esp lentils) but it's way, way less. I was thinking of allowing myself salmon occasionally if I absolutely can't. One other thing I was thinking of adding and I don't eat lots is mushrooms, they have tons of vitamin D, and I like them lots.
    wrote:
    You do mean that you'd be adding it to your regular diet and not using it as a meal replacement, right?

Oh yes! As tempting as it would be to not have to feel pain during digestion, I love food WAY too much to not eat, and it'd defeat the purpose of getting enough calories to gain weight. I need at least about 30lbs of healthy weight put on, well, 20 for my doc to let me off the hook and extra 10 for extra protection (and I also want to look somewhat good again)
    wrote:
    I sympathize with the nausea and food intolerances/prohibitions. From my personal experience, might I suggest you get the smallest pack available, just in case Soylent does not agree with you either? You might also try different methods of eating/drinking like through a straw, tiny portions, that sort of thing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that stuff, too. it can make it really hard to focus on other stuff.
    You have a really good suggestion and I will definitely take it, thank you. I never tried through a straw but for a while now I've been eating my food in little sides of everything, it's time consuming but gets the job done. :)

-

Thanks everyone so far for the kind replies!
    PS: I'm stupid and don't know how to quote users :S
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Soylent Green is people!!!!
  • battletankbob
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    It's odd that they'd put vitamin K in a product, since most people make enough in their gut.

And the company's choice of name is unfortunate to say the least.
    Almost on the order of naming a space heater the "Dresden" model, or a bed intended for a little girl the "Lolita" model. (Yes, those actually happened.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

They actually named it after the book Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison which the movie Soylent Green is based on. The book didn't have a soylent as made from people but a super food made from soybeans and lentils hence "soy" + "lent" = "soylent".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Room!_Make_Room!
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Yes. I ordered it on Sunday (I think). It was shipped today. Until recently, there was a 4-6 month wait.

OP, Soylent has a DIY page as well, so that you can make your own based on your individual needs. I may try making this one.

I don't intend to use it full-time, but simplify breakfast and lunch, and then eat dinner with my family.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Whatever the nutritional benefits of it may be, I can't help but think of it as the most joyless, soulless food out there. It just makes me sad.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about it, even if some say it gives you "horse killing farts".
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The horse-killing farts was something that happened on Soylent 1.0 - 1.2. It was resolved with version 1.3 and beyond (it's currently at version 1.4)

I've been on Soylent for about two months now and it comprises most of my intake (I usually only eat 'real food' on social occasions -- so once or twice every few weeks). I just had a physical lately and, on Soylent, my good cholesterol went up and my bad cholesterol went down. My doctor gave me lots of high fives for my great bloodwork results and weight loss.
  • moodyfam9
    moodyfam9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started using soylent eight days ago and I'm down eight pounds. I generally use it to replace everything on weekdays. My plan is to enjoy weekend eating and not lose my mind. I found no issue with tempting food during the week. I even signed up for a gym membership that I plan to continue using in place of the time I used to spend purchasing and eating food during lunch. For the most part soylent just keeps me out of stress eating during the week. I admit I went overboard on the weekend but it was less than my weekends used to be.

No definite plan on how long I'll do it but my primary effort is to have it as a suppliment for times when I don't have time. I could keep me out of old patterns like, no breakfast, no lunch, then the dinners. Same daily intake total but at the worst possible time of day. No late evening heavy eating since starting soylent.

I suspect it is all in how you use the stuff. I cannot see a lifetime of it for complete replacement.

Anyone using it long term? I didn't read this entire thread but noticed two months?