#collegeprobs

Options
MrsSchnelting18
MrsSchnelting18 Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone have some general advice for diet and exercise while living in a college dorm? I use the rec center to do cardio and I only have a 5 meal plan which means I get most of my food off campus. I mostly would just appreciate some heathy meal or snack ideas that I can buy or make just using a microwave. Just looking for new ideas. Thank you!

Replies

• rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So I know you only have a 5 meal plan, but I think the first thing I would do is weigh how much money I'm spending in food off-campus vs. upgrading the meal plan. Does your college allow you to upgrade it mid-semester?
    There is nothing wrong with using the rec center for cardio. Just the fact that you are getting that exercise in is great!
    My favorite small meal/snack idea is apple/banana with a side of Jif to go (small peanut butter cup). I can never eat an entire Jif cup, but the whole thing is 250 cals plus fruit would put you around probably 350 calories. Always a good choice for breakfast while you're running to class :smile:
  • MrsSchnelting18
    Options
    I chose the 5 meal plan cause it's really expensive and the majority of the food is very unhealthy lol thanks for the snack idea!
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention if you had a fridge, but if you do, you might want to get a crockpot...it's very easy to make 4+ meals at once that can be eaten throughout the week. For one serving meals, something like a tasty bite + couscous (doesn't need to be cooked on a stovetop, just add boiling water). And almost any veg can be nuked!
  • MrsSchnelting18
    Options
    Thank you! Someone else told me to get a crockpot as well so I guess I should try it out!
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Been there :) I don't know if you can handle canned tuna, but it's probably the cheapest, healthiest thing you can keep in a dorm room. No fridge necessary. All you need is a can opener and some way to season it (think Mrs. Dash or something).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you don't have a freezer but is a grocer nearby? The freezer section is full of healthy, low cal microwavable meals. If you're going off campus for most single meals anyway, it's another option. :)

But I agree that if you can batch-cook or batch-prep anything yourself it's going to be much cheaper, and if you have meals made in a little frig, it's much less tempting to hit up a drive-thru.