Training for size

Options
Hi, I am seeking advice on training with the aim to increase muscle size.

I have been training for the past year to increase strength, using rep ranges of 5-8. During this time I haven't had much of an increase in muscle size. I am currently eating 3,250 which has contributed to a bodyweight increase of 10kg since January 2014, and my weight is still increasing week by week.

I have done some of my own research on the internet, but I am hoping some of you can offer me some advice on how to significantly increase muscle size over the next 12 months?

Replies

• ItIsTJ
    ItIsTJ Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey man. Usually I train people who come to me looking to pack on extra mass - Especially kids in High School who play sports that call for them to add mass.

Have a read into Time Under Tension - When it comes specifically to non-functional growth, TUT training is what will help pack on size relatively quicker compared to conventional repping (which in today's standards pretty much means flinging weights around and calling it a Rep)

While lifting heavy is good, there's not enough stimulation to trigger massive amounts of growth in a short amount of time.

Exercise selection also comes into play as not all exercises are created equally.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When lifters need to gain weight I have them train in a variety of rep ranges. You cannot get bigger without getting stronger so focus on a main lift for strength working from 2-5 reps with heavy weights and then do some accessory movements for higher reps (8-12) finish up with a superset and try to get a gigantic pump. Here's what a deadlift day would look like as an example:

Deadlift
    135x3
    225x3
    315x3
    405x3
    495x3
    545x3
    585x3

495x5
    495x5
    495x5

Barbell Row
    315x10
    315x10
    315x10

Barbell Shrug
    405x10
    405x10
    405x10

Ab Wheel Roll Outs..superset..Pull Throughs
    X20-x20
    X20-x20
    X20-x20

If you like a bro split, do:
    Mon: Squat
    Tue: Bench
    Thu: Deadlift
    Sat: Overhead Press

If you like a full body template, do:
    Mon: Squat/Bench
    Wed: Dead/OHP
    Fri: Front Squat/Incline Bench
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Time under tension can be important.

Also, you mention eating a lot and gaining weight... how are your macros?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’ve seen significant strength increase without adding much mass, you are what we refer to as ‘hard gainer’. Genetically, you have a pre-disposition to not put on mass. You’ll need to ensure you do two things:
    1) Change your program to convince your muscles that they need more density (time under tension, rep range of 8 - 12, a little more isolation work (I repeat, a little)).
    2) You’ll need to make sure you’re getting enough fuel and building materials (carbs and protein). I’d also consider looking into BCAA’s (ensure you keep what you earn) and Creatine (performance and muscle volume).

• grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Time under tension can be important.

Also, you mention eating a lot and gaining weight... how are your macros?

My macro split is currently 327g carbs (40%) 127g fat (35%) 204g protein (25%), bearing in mind I currently weigh 79.9kg or 176lbs.

Definitely going to try increasing the rep range, thanks for the advice.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    When lifters need to gain weight I have them train in a variety of rep ranges. You cannot get bigger without getting stronger so focus on a main lift for strength working from 2-5 reps with heavy weights and then do some accessory movements for higher reps (8-12) finish up with a superset and try to get a gigantic pump. Here's what a deadlift day would look like as an example:

Deadlift
    135x3
    225x3
    315x3
    405x3
    495x3
    545x3
    585x3

495x5
    495x5
    495x5

Barbell Row
    315x10
    315x10
    315x10

Barbell Shrug
    405x10
    405x10
    405x10

Ab Wheel Roll Outs..superset..Pull Throughs
    X20-x20
    X20-x20
    X20-x20

If you like a bro split, do:
    Mon: Squat
    Tue: Bench
    Thu: Deadlift
    Sat: Overhead Press

If you like a full body template, do:
    Mon: Squat/Bench
    Wed: Dead/OHP
    Fri: Front Squat/Incline Bench

Yeah, basically just what Lofteren said. The stronger you are, the more you can overload your muscles. We don't know you weight, height, age, so it's hard to say if your nutrition accomodates your goal.

Don't get too caught-up in the TUT thing. Yes TUT is important but intensity / load and total volume are #1.
  • bm920
    bm920 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Don't get too caught-up in the TUT thing. Yes TUT is important but intensity / load and total volume are #1.

This is all you really need to know.