Going over slightly on carbs

Options
quickjeff
quickjeff Posts: 31 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys, so I have been on a clean diet 14 days tomorrow. I have hit the gym 5-6 times per week. I am down 5.6 lbs already. I started this clean diet with low carbs and slowly will pick them up as I get closer to my goal weight. I had homemade turkey chili today that put me over 19g of carbs. In a way I feel mad that I went over but not sure if I lowered my carbs too much. I dropped them to 53g. I ended up today with 72g :-(

Is this okay that I went over?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. But no, 19g of extra carbs won't make a difference. If you feel bad, try and reduce them a bit tomorrow. But personally I wouldn't worry about it :wink:
  • quickjeff
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • bm920
    bm920 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Your carbs are lower than they could be anyways, you'll be fine.
  • quickjeff
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if I was eating that insanely amount of low carbs and hitting the gym 5-6 days I would be a whiny you know what..

OP - do you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?

and out of curiosity, how do you define "clean"…?
  • quickjeff
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if I was eating that insanely amount of low carbs and hitting the gym 5-6 days I would be a whiny you know what..

OP - do you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?

Clean for me is = poultry, steak, fish. Lean meats, low carbs only to cut fat as quickly as possible. Basically to get more of a keto effect.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    quickjeff wrote: »

Clean for me is = poultry, steak, fish. Lean meats, low carbs only to cut fat as quickly as possible. Basically to get more of a keto effect.

just curious…

Just my two cents..low carb/keto/IF/clean eating/etc etc …are just tools to get you into a calorie deficit and will not cause faster weight loss; i.e. one is not superior to the other.

you can eat the foods you enjoy, hit your deficit, and lose fat just as quickly ..

but if you do not particularly miss pasta, bread, ice cream, etc then more power to you ….
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was hovering around 6g of carbs today.... now I'm at 68g because I just had a huge bowl of fruit.
    Such is life, I love fruit, it's good for me and it's better than a bar of chocolate
  • quickjeff
    Options

just curious…

Just my two cents..low carb/keto/IF/clean eating/etc etc …are just tools to get you into a calorie deficit and will not cause faster weight loss; i.e. one is not superior to the other.

you can eat the foods you enjoy, hit your deficit, and lose fat just as quickly ..

but if you do not particularly miss pasta, bread, ice cream, etc then more power to you ….

Honestly, I do. It's really tough, not going to lie but I know once I get to my goal, I will just have to work on maintaining the weight and body fat %.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

just curious…

Honestly, I do. It's really tough, not going to lie but I know once I get to my goal, I will just have to work on maintaining the weight and body fat %.

So why do it?

Why not get to your goal by eating a balance of carbs, protein and fats and foods that make you happy and enjoy the process as opposed to torturing yourself?
  • ndj1979
    Options

just curious…

well, I will just say …if it is this hard for you ..are you really going to be able to eat like this for the rest of your life?

Why not learn to eat the foods that you like, maintain your deficit, and lose weight..?? Then you do not have to feel "guilty" about eating 19 grams of carbs or something crazy …:)

my diary is open and you would probably consider my diet "dirty" but ten years ago I lost 50 pound and have kept it off…

oh, if you do look in my diary I am bulking right now which is why I am consuming 3100 calories a day ...
  • quickjeff
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

just curious…

So why do it?

Why not get to your goal by eating a balance of carbs, protein and fats and foods that make you happy and enjoy the process as opposed to torturing yourself?

Honestly, I rather get there faster. I'm pretty impatient. lol Although it's tough at the moment, I can hit my goal faster by lowering my carbs more. Unless you guys suggest otherwise? Any advice is appreciated.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

just curious…

So then the other question is going to be, are you planning on restricting your carb intake long term? If not it might be more beneficial for you to not cut out things you love, but to eat them in a manner that fits in your daily caloric goals and is sustainable for the long haul.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

just curious…

So why do it?

Honestly, I rather get there faster. I'm pretty impatient. lol Although it's tough at the moment, I can hit my goal faster by lowering my carbs more. Unless you guys suggest otherwise? Any advice is appreciated.

If you eat 1500 calories and hit 60g of carbs you'll lose at the same rate as eating 1500 calories and eating 100g of carbs, or 120g of carbs.
  • ndj1979
    Options

just curious…

So why do it?

Here is what I see as a slight problem…when you hit your "goal" and start reintroducing carbs and eating somewhat normally you are probably going to gain 5-10 pounds of water weight and that is going to bring you back down …

I guess my suggestion for now would be to slowly introduce carbs back into your diet (bump up 5% a week) until you get to a point where your diet is like 30% carbs, 40% protein, and 30% fats…

Keep your training regimen the same…

how many calorie per day do you eat now?

The main thing to remember is that Keto does not make you lose fat faster..it is the calorie deficit that you create that leads to weight loss….
  • quickjeff
    Options

just curious…

So why do it?

If you eat 1500 calories and hit 60g of carbs you'll lose at the same rate as eating 1500 calories and eating 100g of carbs, or 120g of carbs.

Well right now my work out is more circuit, interval training and cardio. My calorie intake is 1400, 52g carbs. I don't want to stay on 52g forever, I just want to do it for about 4-8 weeks, depending how fast I lose the weight. I was 184, I want to get down to 160. I am now at 178.6 13 days in. I have a long awaited vacation in June. Let's just say I want to be ready for summer by spring or even sooner.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    18 pounds in six months is totally reasonable..I mean if you lost one pound per week that would actually be a 24 pound loss ….< and you can do that WHILE eating carbs….it really is about calorie deficit...

what are your stats ..age/height/weight?

are you using MFP method or TDEE method?
  • quickjeff
    Options
    18 pounds in six months is totally reasonable..I mean if you lost one pound per week that would actually be a 24 pound loss ….< and you can do that WHILE eating carbs….it really is about calorie deficit...

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

I don't really have a method. I just keep track of what I eat and workout 5-6 times per week at the moment.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

I don't really have a method. I just keep track of what I eat and workout 5-6 times per week at the moment.

when you first signed up for MFP did you enter your state into it and what not …???

5-8 178 is not really that over weight for a male..

as a reference point I am a 5-10 35 years old and and 183.5 …in my profile pic I was about 176 …

if you dropped down to 165 - 170 and incorporated a heavy lifting program you would probably see some nice results…

I assume you go to a gym right now? Have you ever thought about some kind of lifting program…???
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

just curious…

So why do it?

Fast isn't necessarily good when it comes to weight loss. Just FYI.