Cheat meal....yay or nay?

Options
Just wondering what other people think....I've had success in the past by allowing myself one cheat meal a week. (Chose saturday so I could stick to my diet all week). I would eat less for breakfast and lunch...but if I wanted a steak and cheese sandwhich, I had it. Or a chicken and cheese calzone...that was fair game too....and I lost weight and didn't burn myself out. I think I heard that they do that on the biggest loser too? Just to clarify...it's not a cheat DAY....and it's not a "Gorge yourself sick session"...haha, I've had enough of those in my past thank you very much!
But there are others (like some family members) who feel that if they allow themselves one cheat meal...it will send them into a tail spin and they'll fall off the food wagon.
Thoughts?

Replies

• AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    You definitely have the right idea with that cheat meal :)
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I suppose everyone is different. I keep my calorie limit in check even on days that I want something "special". This is our life and we are going to eat something down the road that is not "the best choice". I think what matters is being strong enough to know when it is ok to give in, and when we should tell ourselves no. All in your perspective...~Corina
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    It's really up to you, and you have to figure out what works for you. Food addiction is like alcoholism, and each body is different. For myself, I don't do a whole meal, but I do allow myself treats as long as they fall within my calorie allowance for the day. If I want a girl scout cookie, I have one. I just know I can't eat the whole box. I eat it, I log it, and I go on with my day. If we go out, I order what I want to eat, split the plate down the middle and eat half or LESS (or often hubby and I split a meal). Just little tricks to help along the way. This is a lifetime battle, and we all have to figure out how to manage this addiction.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I approve of cheat meals, even cheat days! You have to do it sometimes!
  • dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    I do a similar thing. I let myself have 1 or 2 treats each week. If it is a big peice of cake, takeaways, or a high cal meal I make doesnt matter, but I always go an extra workout that day, or the next.
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    "treat meal" is what I call it ..is good, but I don't think anyone should go overboard - and we all know that some of us can go overboard. Enjoy your "treat" meal! :drinker:
  • yaitzae1
    yaitzae1 Posts: 12
    Options
    you can definitely do cheat meals...but once you start keeping your calories in check and eating healthy...you will eventually forget about cheat meals and transform it into a way of life....to a point where you won't need to cheat anymore...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    nay