Good kickboxing workouts

Options
hi all! I am looking for suggestions on some good kickboxing workout DVDs. I'm not beginner, but I'm. Also not advanced. Thanks!!

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you're not a beginner to working out or you're not a beginner to kickboxing?
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not a beginner and kickboxing.
  • ereckless82
    Options
    Damn Siri. I am not a beginner in working out or in kickboxing.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you like kickboxing that is kind of "dancey" check out Turbo Fire or Turbo Jam. Straight combat style, take a look at Les Mill's Body Combat. I love both!
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Okay, then just shadow box. If you don't flow well then start by drilling your fundamental combos. Do a round of nothing but jabs and focus on head movement and footwork, then do a round of jab/straight right combos, then do a round of jab/straight right/left round kick, etc.... Try to focus on a different combo each round and keep your feet and your head moving and keep your hands high and elbows in. Some good combs to work:

Jab
    Jab/Cross
    Jab/Cross/Hook
    Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut
    Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut/Roll/Hook
    Slip/Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut/Roll/Hook/Cross
    Slip/Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut/Roll/Hook/Cross/Left round kick

You can replace a punch or two with a straight or round kick wherever it feels natural. These are just some ideas to get you started.

If you have access to a heavy bag you can work these combos on there as well.
  • niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    If you like kickboxing that is kind of "dancey" check out Turbo Fire or Turbo Jam. Straight combat style, take a look at Les Mill's Body Combat. I love both!

I agree with the above suggestions! And Les Mills Combat is cheap right now on Beachbody.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. This guy is doing it on a heavy bag but you could do it on a heavy bag, shadow boxing, with focus mitts, on a suspended bag, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKf8SkjaNk
  • ereckless82
    Options
    I have taken kickboxing classes in the past for many years so I already do all of that. Form is good. I just need some good DVDs to do at home since I can't make it to the classes anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Lofteren
    Options
    I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood what you meant. Because if you're doing all that shadow boxing and bag work then you have plenty of conditioning work already. What exactly are you looking for out of the DVD? Do you want a DVD to give you a workout or teach you more advanced techniques, etc..?
  • ereckless82
    Options
    I appreciate your suggestions!

I'm just looking for some well rounded workouts that are kickboxing related. I've done workouts with "kickboxing" moves, but not a real kickboxing type of workout.
  • Lofteren
    edited January 2015
    Options
    delete
  • mrscaudle31
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Kickbox"fast fix". I'm doing this now. I really enjoy it. I can't wait to do it the next day.
  • ereckless82
    Options
    Thank you, mrscaudle! I love JM everything! I'm gonna try this out, as well as turbofire!

Thanks everyone! If there are any other suggestions, I'm open to any of them
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android there is a good app called, Shoutbox Workout Trainer. You can set it to call out Kickboxing strikes and you can adjust the intensity to your fitness level. I really like it for hitting the heavy bag, but you can just shadow-strike with it as well.
  • ereckless82
    Options
    Ok. Just did level 1 and 2 of JM kick boxing fast fix and wow! Its pretty awesome!
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check out Kelly Coffey Meyer at Coffeyfit.com she has some good ones. TLC is a big favorite and Cathe at Cathe.com has some good ones too.
  • ereckless82
    Options
    Thanks Roxie! I'll check that out too!