Yoga and walking

Options
Because of asthma (it's really bad in the winter for some reason) I find walking and yoga are physical activities that I can do without having an asthma attack. I also really enjoy both of these activities and am more likely to continue regularly doing these activities as opposed to trying to make myself run (and wheeze) or lift weights, or other "gym" like classes or exercises.

1- Can anybody recommend any other fun, physical activities that don't require a gym that would be easy on someone with asthma?

2- Does anybody else make yoga and walking a major part of your fitness plan, and how has this affected your weight loss and fitness goals?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Those are my most common activities. They work great. There's no need to do Biggest Loser style puking cardio workouts unless you're into that. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Walking is about all I can do in the winter. Summer there are many jobs that adds physical activity. Walking just a quarter mile a day EVERY day makes a difference in my case. On the way back to the house is a very step hill all of the way.
  • bolingerbrittany
    Options
    I have this workout that you can do at home its called PiYo. Its low impact, and a mixture of palates, and yoga. If you would like to knkw more yiu can add me on facebook. My name on there is brittany sure bolinger
  • cmcmlb29
    cmcmlb29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When all else fails, I'll always do walking. Yoga is prbly a good workout for you because of the strengthening and breathing technig
  • cmcmlb29
    cmcmlb29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    cmcmlb29 wrote: »
    When all else fails, I'll always do walking. Yoga is prbly a good workout for you because of the strengthening and breathing techniques.
  • boegeholda
    boegeholda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks everyone. There is a pilates class that I can take at the fitness center on my campus, so I will look into that as well. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to do/enjoy crazy intense workouts to be healthy. I also get discouraged with my asthma since I used to do Insanity workouts 4-5 days a week and now I have to learn to shift gears.
  • drobertsrn
    drobertsrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing only walking - at least 10,000 steps a minimum of 4 days/wk. I haven't done yoga on a regular basis, and think it might be good for me. Any suggestions for a relatively easy (beginner) yoga workout?
  • boegeholda
    boegeholda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner myself, but I started doing poses on the Wii-Fit and enjoyed it. I have a friend who teaches yoga and I went to an all-levels easy class with her one day. Then I just started going to my campus rec center. I think hatha yoga is slower, while vinyasa is more flow oriented and faster paced. Bikram is the super hot yoga - like over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I know a woman who loves hot yoga because she says it helps with her arthritis. I would ask around at your gym or see if a local yoga place has a free first class and ask them what they recommend. My personal recommendation is to go at your own pace and don't push the poses farther that you're comfortable until you get the hang of it. Sometimes if I can't do the pose I just go into a resting pose, or the instructor will tell you modifications to make it easier or more difficult. I would also go to an actual class before getting a DVD, as the instructor can help you get the right form so you lessen your chance of injury.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I have joined a "gentle yoga" class targeted to people my age (older) and not very in-shape; the instructor uses a chair to do some of the poses so it is less hard on people's backs and necks, etc. I have a tape somewhere for seniors that I thought I might use at home. (I am 61 and figured it would be gentle like the class I take, which only meets once a week). I also walk but in cold weather I don't like to do it. The other thing I have started doing is dancing by myself at home! I made up a playlist on Spotify that is all songs that are good to dance to (ranging from Rolling Stones to Lady Gaga) and I dance to about 10 songs which is about a half hour. I work up a sweat so it must be doing something - any movement is better than what I was doing before, which was nothing. And, for someone who absolutely hates organized exercise, I don't really mind doing it; it's kind of fun, and I don't have to go anywhere to do it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    swimming maybe?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    how about spin classes? They are indoors so the weather won't bother you.
    I too have asthma-and when my lungs are crappy I can still bike-but at a slower pace. I need to keep my heart rate down-to keep my breathing ok. I tell myself that something is better than nothing.