5K first timer. Any advice is welcome!

Options
Hi! I have read a few notes here about people starting fresh, putting themselves first, and focusing on getting healthy. What a positive and encouraging environment!
I spent the last year getting myself out of a terrible relationship with an alcoholic. I just celebrated 2 years sober and to honor that signed up to run a 5K in the beginning of March. My goal is to run it, with no walking intervals. We'll see! I'm glad to see this community page. Looks like it will be a great source of encouragement and support!

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    First, we have something in common. And ... I know that making your health a priority and seeing this personal goal through is HUGE HUGE HUGE! Congratulations and a big hug to you.

As for your first 5K, start off sllllllow ... stay steady and plan on saving your energy for the end of the race. Adrenaline can screw you up at the start of a race. People will start too fast, and you'll think "I have to keep up - they're going to lose me - I'll be last." Nope. A good number of those people will be holding their side and walking a little ways in ... just keep a nice, slow, steady pace. And you are in an enviable position, because this will be your benchmark. No pressure to beat anything! :) Just focus on ensuring it is a healthy (psychologically) race and you are pleased with yourself at the end. That will keep you coming back.

Bless you and all you've been through. You deserve this - we all do. Good luck!
  • stellyrunner3
    stellyrunner3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i did a 5k Runner app on my iphone. it was great. you walk a little, run a little and it builds up over time. I ended up doing a half marathon aftr that. Anytime i get out of shape i just start over on that app
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Here's a new future. :D *cheers*

As for the 5K, when I ran my first race the things that helped me most were:

1) Downloading an app. (I used Couch to 5K - C25K. It's great!)
    2) Signing up for a race immediately so that I have no excuse not to train.
    3) Getting a good pair of shoes.
    4) Making some sweet playlists to run to.

Best of luck! If you want to add me as a pal, please feel free. I am currently training for a 10k race in March. Runners for life!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Oh, and forgive yourself when set backs occur (and they will). Go easy on yourself and listen to your body. I messed up my knee initially because my form was off and I tried to run through the pain. Big mistake! If you need to rest, rest.
  • TitusisRitus
    TitusisRitus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!
    I've been using the training plan in the MFP app. Do you suggest the C25K app instead? I find I have the best times and consistency when it's the 60 sec run, 90 sec recovery days on the plan.
    I just got back from a run, and averaged a 16 min mile. I feel pretty good about that!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    RinnyLush wrote: »
    Congratulations! Here's a new future. :D *cheers*

As for the 5K, when I ran my first race the things that helped me most were:

1) Downloading an app. (I used Couch to 5K - C25K. It's great!)
    2) Signing up for a race immediately so that I have no excuse not to train.
    3) Getting a good pair of shoes.
    4) Making some sweet playlists to run to.

Best of luck! If you want to add me as a pal, please feel free. I am currently training for a 10k race in March. Runners for life!

I like those tips. I'll add:

5) distance>speed at first. Like you said, just try to do it without walking first. The more miles you run, the faster you'll eventually become.

6) Allow for rest days... enough said.

7) Have realistic goals for your first race. Feel proud for even finishing; not disappointed you didn't make the top 5.

8) Have fun! Nothing is more exciting than hearing the crowd cheer you on... a fantastic feeling.

Good luck!
  • TitusisRitus
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TitusisRitus
    Options
    I Mis-spoke. The training plan I use is on Runkeeper, not MFP. They share info so much, I get them confused!
  • hadiachatila89
    hadiachatila89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use run keeper too and I love it. I wish you happy run days and years. And I like all the advice you had. You do need to listen to your body and add on minutes to each workout. I remember my first run was about 14 minutes then I rested and ran another 7 minutes and lastly 3 minutes. 3 times a week adding 1minute to each interval and decreasing my rest period until I could do 20 minutes non stop from there it's all about adding more distance and enjoying your run.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Congrats! The best advice I can give you is to have good time and really savor that moment when you cross that finish line, no matter if you ran the whole thing or not. You will never have another first 5k.