Non-Profit Workers!!!

FriedPicklePrincess
FriedPicklePrincess Posts: 53 Member
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone!

I work for Meals on Wheels -- and many times have no time to feed myself during the day since I am so busy helping volunteer drivers pack up meals for homebound seniors in San Antonio,Tx.

I've been on here for awhile, but it is time to take care of myself. Many times people who work in the non-profit world worry about taking care of others before they think about their selves.

I'm hoping to make some new friends, and to encourage others in their journeys!

Replies

• Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Hey there! I work for a non-profit substance abuse facility so I know what you mean. I just started back to work full-time (was working part-time for a few months) and I'm really trying to make sure that I stay on tracking with mfp, eating right, exercising, and logging my food.

You can add me as a friend if you like :flowerforyou:
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Oh my friend, I too work for a non-profit, and I do like to think that I think of others a great deal, but trust me, I always find time to make time for ME, and make it work. I have to, otherwise I would go crazy!

My journey here thus far has been pretty short, and already very frustrating...I hope you find what you are looking for and can find that time you need for you. Remember, you too deserve some time for you even though you have to think of others as well...The balance will come and you will find your routine.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I grew up in an animal rescue charity so I hear you. I currently live on-site and have had to set up some serious ground rules in order to have some semblance of a personal life. Not easy to do with a roster of 50 volunteers, seemingly daily animal emergencies and an endless line of visitors.

Good for you. You're doing really great work...but you're important, too!

I'm actually moving to TX this summer (in large part to get away from the charity and have a real life! haha). Feel free to add me!
  • Jaki1281
    Jaki1281 Posts: 3
    I work for a non-profit as well in the child welfare system. The job is very stressful at times, hectic and I often work long hours. It's hard to eat well and get in exercise but it's manageable. What's worked for me is taking my lunch and healthy snacks to work, that way I know I take the right portions and eat healthy (which is hard to do in the office). I also keep snacks in my bag that I won't feel guilty about eating later if I do get that urge to nibble on something while I'm running around.

Keep up the good work, it pays off in the end :0)

Jaki
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Welcome! :0) I'm new to this site too and also work for a religious non-proft organization and love it - sending friend request now!
This discussion has been closed.