Routines (or lack thereof)

Options
Hello community!
This may have been asked, I apologize if it has. Currently, I work full time in retail. This puts me at work anywhere between 7am to 9:30 pm 5 days a week, with off days being split up. There is absolutely no ability to predict my schedule each week. I work 8 hours with a half hour lunch. Previously when trying to lose weight I worked a part time set schedule which allowed me to attend a gym 5 days a week at the same time, so I went to a step aerobics class, which worked extremely well for me.
Last Feb. I accepted full time and since then, have not been able to maintain a workout (or diet) routine that has been successful.... in fact, I gained back everything I lost. I am seeing that I struggle without routine. Additionally, I am mom to two children (ages 11 and 7) and have a husband who works in the military with a set schedule.
My question is: What are the ways you find time/ability to workout/diet without a structured schedule? What works as far as eating meals at odd times, working out before or after work, and having to work out at different times of day? What would you do to maintain a workout schedule? Thanks in advance for any advice!

TL;DR... I work full time in retail, struggling to fit workouts in with non set schedule. Please advise.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    First of all, in a retail job, you're already on your feet all day. So that means your activity level should be set for someone who is lightly or moderately active, not sedentary (i.e. desk job).

If you can't fit in regular workouts, then just move as much as you can whenever you can. Can you walk around the mall or shopping complex where you work? Can you squeeze in morning workouts on the days when you start later, and afternoon workouts when you start earlier? Can you get some basic home gym equipment (some dumbbells, a kettleball maybe, a yoga mat) and some workout DVDs and just work out at home?

As for diet, no need to worry about finding the time. It's fine to eat your meals at different times every day. Just eat "breakfast" an hour before your shift, "lunch" on your half-hour break, and "dinner" when you get home, whatever time those happen to be. Pre-plan your meals for the week with breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, and just eat them whenever they fall.
  • segacs
    Options
    One more thought: How do you get to and from your job every day? Is there an option to turn your commute into your workout? Personally, I cycle to and from my job for a good part of the year, and that adds 60 minutes of cycling on average 3 times per week. Is that an option for you?
  • ajanderson84
    ajanderson84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response Segacs.
    I work at the Home Depot. It's true I get my steps in (usually about 11-15k) and I lift things like cement bags and lumber all day, so yes, I am lightly to moderately active already. I have myself as "lightly active" here on MFP. Each day I am eating a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and lunch is usually a ham sandwich and sugar free jello. I still allow myself my one "soda" which is actually the entirely evil energy drink, but I don't drink alcohol, so I call it fair. However, dinner is usually the issue, especially on the later shifts... and snacking. I think I have a bad habit of eating things I shouldn't late at night.
    I do have some home equipment, including a treadmill, recumbent bike, a bellicon and some 10lb weights... however, especially on the afternoon side of things, my feet hurt so darn badly I don't want to stand another moment. I've recently bought inserts for my shoes though, which have helped a little... and I imagine if I lose a few pounds from eating under calorie limit, things will improve there as well.
    I used to ride a bike to work, but its the usually rainy windy winter here on the Oregon coast so I've been driving again. Work is only about two miles away, so I could certainly walk there and back I think... especially when the weather improves again. Thanks again for the feedback
  • segacs
    Options
    Well, it certainly sounds like you're more than "lightly" active at your job. Those labels are arbitrary, but 11-15k steps per day plus hauling around cement and lumber would be more towards the moderately active side of things, I'd think.

Having said that, I'd suggest you not worry so much about adding too much exercise beyond that to your routine, since it sounds like you're very active already. Sounds like the issue is probably diet, not exercise. Exercise is mostly for health, anyway, not for weight loss. And it sounds like you get enough exercise at your job to keep yourself healthy.

Maybe try setting yourself to "moderately" active and getting a slightly higher calorie goal, and then stop logging and eating back exercise calories on top of that. That way, you'll be eating enough to handle your activity level, and you won't feel pressured to squeeze in workouts when you're dead on your feet. Plus, you'll have a fairly consistent calorie target that won't vary much, so it will be easier to plan out your meals for the week and to avoid going off track with dinners and snacks.
  • Richie1982
    Richie1982 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, I'm at work 12hrs a day + 2 hrs commute, work shifts, have a 1yr old.

For workout I love doing kettlebell routines (15 - 20 mins)

for diet on my days off I do my meal prep for the next few days or until my next day off... I've got it down to 1.5hrs, I meal prep for me and my wife.

my meal prep routine....
    bake 2kg chicken
    bake 1kg of haddock
    bake 1kg sweet potato (medallions)
    boil 1kg broccoli
    boil 1kg Green beans
    boil 1kg baby potato's

that gives me 12 meals split with ~160g protein, 160g carbs, 160g veg and leaves 1kg chicken to be divide into salads.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    for the love of all that is holy... please make sure you don't try to under eat.. which will leave you ragged. You have a demanding job and you need to account for that... My husband works retail and goofy shifts but if you get two days off - spend those days prepping / cooking for the days you can't. I store TONS in my fridge after cooking all weekend so that I can grab and go throughout the week..

To make your life easy and not having to worry about exercise (which you don't to lose weight) then I would take a look at TDEE methods and scooby calculators. Gives you a set calories per day regardless of exercise so no need to worry about recording calories burned..

I like simple :)
  • ajanderson84
    ajanderson84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No worries, I am eating enough. I try to stick to around 1600 calories a day, and sometimes I go a little over that... I have started meal planning dinners, but doing that for lunch might be something worth considering as well. Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it.