Anybody goto Curves?

Options
My mum is trying to convince me to go with her, but im not 100% sure on even what it is?
does anybody go there? what do you think of it? and are you enjoying it?

Replies

• happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Curves is basically a gym that's set up for circuit training. I used to go, years ago - but I find I get a better workout at home. Things may have changed though, they usually do.....so maybe you get a better workout now?? It was nice because you could weigh in and get measured there, so it took the duty out of doing it at home.
  • chloemeow
    chloemeow Posts: 71
    Options
    well thats good i guess, my current (and new!) scales arnt working, and they are telling me i weigh like 150kg when i know im only around 77-80 :/ so i guess getting weighed in would be good
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to go a few years ago. I liked it, but wasn't so sure about the cardio time in between the strength training. I hear that it is supposed to be better to do it that way, but I just had trouble adjusting to that. Overall it is a decent workout. Maybe you could get a guest pass or trial time before you commit to joining. Also depends on the hours they are open. That was tough for me because they closed early in the evening and were only open a couple hours on Saturday here.
  • chloemeow
    Options
    yeah we got offered like a free pass thing from a friend of ours to try it out,
    im thinking we might just give it a go, and if we like it then i might stick with it,
  • tolleirrigon
    Options
    I use to go several years ago with some friends. Lost and kept off 30 pounds for a long time. Loved it, only women, workout changes every minute or so. The weighing and measuring was nice since you got reports. There isn't one where I moved or I would still go..Loved it.:flowerforyou:
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I went several years ago and liked it except for the hours and now that i have a child i have to go to a gym that offers childcare. If you are athletic at all I think you will be board pretty quickly.
  • bosshen
    bosshen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Went with a friend once to see what it was about. Ok for someone older, but I didn't break a sweat. Got a better workout at home!
  • chloemeow
    Options
    Went with a friend once to see what it was about. Ok for someone older, but I didn't break a sweat. Got a better workout at home!

oh really?
    im only 18 and even tho im over weight, i can still handle a decent workout, but if i dont break a sweat then i might be a bit let down, i also have a treadmill at home, so maybe the curves workout, plus a treadmill workout might make it work :P
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I go three days a week. I have to say these are my light work out days though. I do the Curves Smart program so I am always being challenged. I purposely do high intensity aerobic moves on the recovery boards to keep my heart rate up. I typically burn around 340 calories.

I really go just to stay accountable to someone/something other than myself. The system reminds you to get weighed and measured once a month. I have lost like 30 inches overall in the last few years doing Curves as well as my own workouts like 30Day Shred and C25K. I also have access to a regular gym with circuit weights, treadmills, ellipticals etc. For me, I have to keep mixing it up to stay motivated and keep my metabolism guessing.

My Curves has Zumba which I have not tried but it looks like a lot of fun. Overall I like that the machines work every muscle group so if I miss working a particular group on my own I know it will get worked on the circuit there.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    oh really?
    im only 18 and even tho im over weight, i can still handle a decent workout, but if i dont break a sweat then i might be a bit let down, i also have a treadmill at home, so maybe the curves workout, plus a treadmill workout might make it work :P

In that case I would go get some workout DVD's (you can rent them from Netflix to try them before you buy them) and do the DVD's and the treadmill.
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options

oh really?

I joined Curves and had to figure out why they do what they do. Their gyms promote 1/2 hour of weight-bearing exercise. Want to burn more calories just while you are resting? Build up your muscle!! Muscle burns calories at a faster rate.

Initially i was surprised to see people not seeming to work that hard. Only a few broke a sweat. I chose to go FULL BORE; I was skipping, jumping, doing lunges, running, doing jumping jacks...all until the day that the owner of curves was there working out. All she did was keep her body moving on the boards to keep her heart rate up.

Confused, I went home and questioned what was up. Was that the best way to use Curves? Or was she having a lazy day? So I talked to her and found out the key piece of info I mentioned at the beginning; Curves is there to help you build MUSCLE. They expect you to get your cardio workout some other time and place.

If you choose to go to Curves, the secret is to WORK LIKE A DOG ON THE MACHINES, and I guarantee you WILL build up a huge sweat. If you put your energy into beating the machine, and use the boards as recovery time, you WILL achieve results. Just make sure you are walking, jogging, doing stairs etc as well 2-3 times per week.

One other note: lots of people lose weight but don`t tone their body through muscle work. Skinny-fat isn`t pretty....a toned body is a totally different story!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves. I started about 2 years ago. But it wasn't until they started offering Zumba classes that my workout started to show. It is a good place to start, but you need more than just the circuit to get a good work out.
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add one thing:
    If you go, make sure you sign up for CURVES-SMART. The machines track your progress by computer chip and automatically intensify if you`ve reached a plateau.
    Believe me... many people have said they find it not challenging, but then I would like to know if they REALLY challenged the machines!!