running times

Options
Hi. im 35 yrs old 17st 7lbs i run 3.5 miles in 32 mins is that good or do i need to lower the time?

Replies

• waterwaif
    waterwaif Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "good"?

Do you have a certain goal?
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on your goals.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    That's a 9:09 pace. It's a decent pace for a 5k.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are wanting to know if you are an average/slow/fast runner. Look up a few 5k websites and view the results from past years. That will give you an idea of how you fall.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are wanting to know if you are an average/slow/fast runner. Look up a few 5k websites and view the results from past years. That will give you an idea of how you fall.

Your profile picture is my running shoe!! :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, dude.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Your profile picture is my running shoe!! :)

Ha! It's mine too and that's why I picked it. I had a picture of me but it got all stretched out and weird looking with the forum changes so I subbed in the shoe.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Keep on running until you are happy with your time

29509743.png
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wows 17st 7 lb and your running 9.09 that's pretty good, personally I would suggest you run off road whilst your weight is that high.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your time, then it's good enough. If you're not happy with it, you can improve it. If you continue training, you will get faster.

I wouldn't recommend comparing yourself to other athletes unless you were training to place in the top "x" percentile of racing events.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Wows 17st 7 lb and your running 9.09 that's pretty good, personally I would suggest you run off road whilst your weight is that high.

Huh?

OP: I run a 33ish min 5k right now. You're faster than some, slower than others. Compare only against yourself.

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your time, then it's good enough. If you're not happy with it, you can improve it. If you continue training, you will get faster.

I wouldn't recommend comparing yourself to other athletes unless you were training to place in the top "x" percentile of racing events.

this.

if your goals include a faster time, then program appropriately and kick *kitten*!
    if you're satisfied, it doesn't matter what someone else does.

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I use this site for reference:

runnersworld.com/tools/age-graded-calculator

Says you are in the 47th percentile. Now set a goal (say 60th percentile) and train for that. Otherwise just exercise and enjoy that.

Tom
  • lyle666blue
    Options
    HI thanks for the replies. I do not have any specific goals. I feel as if im busting a guy but not sure if i am or not. I just want to get to a good level of fitness but i dont have to time with work and family life to go balls out
  • lyle666blue
    Options
    Andysport. Hi i cant do pavement pounding as i have a problem with my lower disc the i tried but the shock to it was too much. I slipped it last year and it's not been right since
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    go by how you feel and respond. don't worry about other times or "if it's good" or not.

be consistent and focus on you, not what someone else is doing.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Andysport. Hi i cant do pavement pounding as i have a problem with my lower disc the i tried but the shock to it was too much. I slipped it last year and it's not been right since

Yuck.. Sorry to hear that. I understand completely though (3 back rebuilds). Trail running would be easier on you joints than road running and your shoes/stride style make a HUGE difference.

I would recommend investing in good quality running shoes and having them fit for you. Personally, I had to lose almost 70 pounds before I could run on roads again -- and now I'm usually around 60+ miles per week.

Good luck and hope your back heals up soon!
  • lyle666blue
    Options
    Cheers CodeMonkey78.

Ps cool name mate :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Thanks lyle :).

Cheers to yourself as well. Happy running!
  • lyle666blue
    Options
    Thanks folk for all the replies. After the advise i have entered into the Alloa half Marathon and so i don't duck out of it im raising money for charity Depression Alliance.