Random request: Would anyone be willing to take a look at my food diary...

Options
And tell me if there are things I *must* improve on to be successful?

Replies

• shonbush
    shonbush Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sure how do I view it? I'm a registered nurse a.k.a closet nutritionist
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    1. Watch your sugar intake. Those dipped granola bars probably have quite a bit.
    2. Log your water intake.

Other than that, looks like you're doing pretty well! :smiley:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're logging accurately, it doesn't look too bad. I would personally up the veggies and protein, but it's not mandatory in any way.

In re: accurate logging, for the things that are logged as "1/2 cup" and the like, are you weighing that to be sure your half-cup is the weight the package indicates it should be? If so, you're aces; if not, you should probably start. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    travie__b wrote: »

What are your goals and where are you starting from ?

There's quite a lot of sugar in there, and relatively low fat.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it all looks pretty good, the only thing i noticed is that you seem to use a lot of the default MFP values for things which i have never found particularly accurate, you'd be better using the nutritional info from the packet
  • travie__b
    travie__b Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

I do generally try to use the nutritional info via the packets for most everything. Some of the things, unfortunately, are because I still have a habit of eating out rather than cooking, which I'm slowly trying to break!

And avskk, yep, I totally weigh the things logged as "1/2" cup to make sure the weight is the appropriate amount!

Yarwell, I'd like to lose about 30 pounds, starting from 175ish. I say ish because unfortunately, it was near my TOM when I first decided to start actually paying attention to what I'm doing. Overall goal, however, is really less about the number on the scale and more about how I feel, so my goals are going to be re-evaluated as time goes on, if that makes sense.

And yes, I totally need to watch the sugar!

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I totally appreciate it!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Totally up your protein intake and lessen your carb intake. However, if you are sticking to your calories in the day and as long as you are accurate this isn't a huge deal. If you start to weight lift, this could start to hinder you though (not enough protein won't repair your muscles).
  • travie__b
    Options
    Thank you, wkwebby!

I don't thinking lifting is ever something I'm going to be super interested in, but then agai, I won't say 'never'. I 'never' thought counting my calories was something I'd be interested in either!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Sounds like an opening move for a game of dramachess.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thank you, wkwebby!

I don't thinking lifting is ever something I'm going to be super interested in, but then agai, I won't say 'never'. I 'never' thought counting my calories was something I'd be interested in either!

I never thought I'd do it either, but at my age (41), I need to preserve as much muscle as I can so that my daily calories don't decrease. You're still young yet, but if you start to see your weight loss stall, you might want to start looking into a little weight training. Packing on a little muscle will help you burn more calories at rest.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose about 30 pounds, starting from 175ish. I say ish because unfortunately, it was near my TOM when I first decided to start actually paying attention to what I'm doing. Overall goal, however, is really less about the number on the scale and more about how I feel, so my goals are going to be re-evaluated as time goes on, if that makes sense.

That's about where I started. I was 178 and lost 25 pounds in 6 months. I didn't actually do anything fantastic (in terms of diet overhaul) and I pretty much ate like crap in the first few months, just watching the calorie bottom line. I founded I needed to do more cardio in order to eat the amounts I wanted. It was exhausting. LOL.

Then I figured out if I changed my eating habits (less junk food, more veggies), I could eat a ton more and not be hungry. So, looks like you are on the right track. :)

You can do it!

• travie__b
    Options
    dbmata, Not sure what "dramachess" is, but pretty sure it's not a game I'd like to play!

wkwebby, that's also a really good point!

lovinglife, I'm going to send you a friend request, if you don't mind! :) Someone who had similar goals could totally help!
  • abuljooj
    abuljooj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, wkwebby!

That's right..Never say never!!! There are many alternatives to strength training that will help elevate your metabolism and don't involve "lifting" and big machines at the gym.

check out this article: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

Looks like you're on the right track with your diary but like others have mentioned, it may help to lower your carbs and up your protein a bit.

Keep it up..you got this!!

• travie__b
    Options
    Thank you!