What do you do when you have a cold?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm having a cold at the moment. I noticed I cannot really do my convict conditioning routine as I'm fighting so hard for every rep and don't even get near the last results. I did do higher intensity bodyweight workouts the last two days (told hubby I'm doing some light stretching :disappointed:) which seems to work well if I don't overdo things.

Though must add that having a cold usually means I have only a slightly raised temperature, a completely mushy and useless brain (can put the sport on cold dumbness :wink: ) and a bit of pain here and there that goes away with an ibuprofen, and only a congested nose in the evening.

edit: oh yes! Do you continue working out when you have a cold?

Replies

• dannwillis79
    Options
    Hi,
    I always use a simple rule:
    If the cold is above the shoulders only continue with exercise as normal, if the cold goes below the shoulders its rest and recovery time.
    Hope this helps
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options

When I only have a running nose and a bit of coughing, I continue with my normal workout.
    But when I have a fever/joint pain/can't breathe etc, I take a break.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I never skip a workout unless I have a fever or am too sick to get out of bed.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I like dannwillis's rule. I don't enuciate it quite as eloquently, but yeah, when it's in my chest and I'm coughing and I can feel the yuck, I don't run. As soon as I can breathe, I run. I always want to go out sooner than I should, too, so I trust my husband. If he says "you're coughing too much." I will probably double over coughing 30 feet outside the house. If he says "you sure you're ready to go out in it" I will cough a little and need to take it easy, but I can get in 5k at least.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    If the cold is above the shoulders only continue with exercise as normal, if the cold goes below the shoulders its rest and recovery time.
    Hope this helps

Excellent rule.

If it is below the shoulders, it can turn into pneumonia. Intense work outs put stress on your immune system.
  • yirara
    Options
    I think my workouts might stop here and now as I did get a seriously runny and achey nose and am not feeling well enough this morning. The air here is very dusty and I fear that the dust will not do me much good at the moment. Just for the numbers: during the last dust storm last weekend almost 3000 children had to go to hospital with breathing problems.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm going against the norm here, but I would rest and wait it out. No use going 50% or being miserable during your workout. You can get back on track once you feel better.

You've taken the right step with your health, but total health means loving and nurturing your body when it needs it.
  • yirara
    Options
    neveragain, that's what I realized as well. I think I will prepare the next few workouts today (making lists in my workout notebook) and will look forward to doing them once I'm better. Now that I sneezed 'into my ear' and it's blocked now this might as well turn into an ear infection and I might have to go see a doctor anyway. No way I can do sports now *sigh*
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Hope this helps

This for me too! Personally… when I have a cold, I love working out. I think the movement helps break up the congestion or something. If I had my way, when I have a cold, I would spend my 100% of my time doing one of three things… sleeping, working out, or taking a hot shower. Because that's when I feel the best.