Psyllium addiction? Fiber food suggestions needed.

Options
SolidGoaled
SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
I have been doing 2 doses of Metamucil per day and for once in my life, I finally know what its like to be regular, and I am really enjoying it (sorry if that is TMI) but I just was feeling so backed up all the time, and now I feel free! So, its been a couple weeks, and I am just wondering - do I have to do this for the rest of my life to stay regular? Can one become addicted to the psyllium? And, what are some foods that I could eat that would give me the same regularity?

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Good question. I have been taking benefiber twice a day and feeling better. But I've also wondered the same things you have.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    ALL-BRAN cereal
    Steel Cut Oats
    FRUIT - especially
    Raspberries, Apples with Skin
    Almonds
    Black and other Beans
    Avacado
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    any very high fibre foods will do it, I wouldn't worry too much...better in than out and better than having to resort to laxatives
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Anything high in protein, like bananas, plums, figs. Linseeds are very good when taken with a lot of water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Really any whole fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans and nuts. No juices. Lots of water.

One ingredient foods. Whole grain breads and pastas instead of any non-whole grain ones. Brown rice.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    You could try ground flax seeds. Please be careful with all of this though. I was using it like you and ended up getting the worst stomach cramps I ever had. Even with the flax seeds. I was using it for about 2-3 months straight. I had to quit using it for 2 weeks while it got out of my system. Now I only use 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds every other day and it is keeping me regular enough.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    One word "CHIA" it's a super food with amazing fiber ratio's, protien and omegas.

http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/chia.html

I make crackers with them simply by adding water, onion powder, rosemary and garlc salt. Once the mixture has turned into a gel spread out on parchment or dehydrator sheet by the TBSP and bake or dehydrate (dehydrating saves the omega's from being destroyed). Or you could simply add them to any of your meals.

Hope that helps :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    ..also, track fiber in your Food Diary, it will help you get to your fiber goal.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Might try a smoothie with the ground flax, wheat germ or psylluim. You don't need to add the protein powder.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/all-around-good-smoothie/Detail.aspx
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I tried pretty much everything for "that" over the past year. What's ended up working best for me is 2 tbls of milled flax seed (*don't use whole flax seed it can make the problem WORSE!!) in the morning and a glass of prune juice every day. Your mileage may vary, but this has worked wonders for me ;-)
  • DDHOYT
    DDHOYT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Start reading lables and be sure you have whole grains. Whole wheat pasta (it's very good), whole wheat bread, oat meal, cherios, shredded wheat, fruits, raisins, nuts, beans, many if not most, veggies brown rice, flax, sweet potatoes to name a few. I have made adjustments to almost every recipe I make and it makes them much healthier for your heart and your digestive track. I make a KILLER pizza and it is very heart healthy and lower in calories than restaurant pizza. I use whole wheat pizza dough, make my own pizza sauce (no added fat or salt), plenty of veggies (roasted garlic, onion, mushrooms, black olives, etc) lower fat mozarella and a bit of parmesean cheeses (admittedly not as much as I would like - I LOVE cheese). Point being, you can make adjustments that should keep you regular and be all around healthier.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I dont know about adults, but banana's tend to constipate children so maybe only have them occasionally?
    Fruit with the skin such as apples and pears are great sources of fibre.
    We have been putting a few teaspoons of LSA mix in our porridge and that is working well.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat more whole cereals. Eat a high-fibre cereal for breakfast every day. Bran is especially good, but oats and wheat flakes are also not bad. Make sure you're getting your 2 fruit and 5 veg a day (and not as juice). Replace white bread with multigrain or seed loaf. Brown rice with dinner is good too. I find too much protein has the reverse of the desired effect.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    veggies whole grains and fruit have tons of fibre in them. carefully read labels.

it's best not to be on laxatives always or your body does begin to rely on it
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables help. Personally, I find fiber one cereal every day and plenty of water keeps the pipes flowing.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would weigh in. Many people, myself included, are on psyllium regimens for high cholesterol. I don't know of anyone who had ill effects from long term use as long as they get plenty of water and they are not allergic. As for dependence on it, it isn't to a specific kind of fiber, it is to the fiber itself, so if you discontinue psyllium, you are going to want to make sure you replace the amount of fiber with something else. My preferred sources are granny smith apples and nuts.