diet soda..cause sweet tooth?

Options
I gave up diet coke, which I drank a lot of, after I went to the diet doctor because he said its bad. I didn't bother to ask why. For the first time in a few weeks I poured myself a glass of diet mountain dew last night because I had a sweet craving. So today, I found myself buying a 32 oz fountain diet coke, then a bottle of diet sierra mist. Now I'm having a TERRIBLE sweet tooth even though I just ate dinner.

I've heard that artificial sweeteners like aspartame will make you crave sweets. Is that true?

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's never affected me that way. It could be a bit placebo, we are told that it does and then it does.
    I think it just depends on the person.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's medically proven, but you will have a lot of people tell you yes. When I'm not having a daily diet soda, I crave waaay less sweets. The craving usually kicks in about an hour or two after the diet soda. Crazy!! I try to stay away from the stuff, but must cave every now and then. :)
  • motv8ed
    motv8ed Posts: 13
    Options
    This is interesting because I drink diet pepsi all the time and I tried giving it up for a few days and I swear I didn't crave sweets as much. Usually I crave them all the time. I will be interested to see what others say.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I drink diet everyday,and do not crave sweets at all. I think it just depends on the person
  • TamRob73
    TamRob73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally after learning that high fructose corn syrup is the #1 cause of obesity and diabetes, I stay away from soda and anything with HFCS. If I crave soda, I buy Zevia or Blue Sky soda. It's zero calories and no sugar. Basically naturally flavored mineral water sweetneed with stevia. Healthy and satisfies my soda craving. :)
  • shawnateerow
    Options
    hmmmm, sounds like I need to give that a try..what is stevia?
  • MissWendyBird
    MissWendyBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop all the time and I never crave anything sweet, unless I'm surfing the crimson wave. It really depends on the person.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    It does for me. Definitely.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Personally after learning that high fructose corn syrup is the #1 cause of obesity and diabetes, I stay away from soda and anything with HFCS. If I crave soda, I buy Zevia or Blue Sky soda. It's zero calories and no sugar. Basically naturally flavored mineral water sweetneed with stevia. Healthy and satisfies my soda craving. :)

Diet pop has never affected me that way.

As far as high fructose corn syrup making people fat......just the latest fall guy. Carbs make you fat, fat makes you fat, protein will cause kidney failure. What is so bad about hfcs? So half of the sugar content is that of fructose, what is so bad about that.
  • deenadi
    deenadi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet coke over a month ago and every day I am craving it. While I was drinking the diet coke I did crave cake, candy, ice cream and anything else I could get my hands on. Now that I am no linger drinking the diet coke I have no more cake, candy and ice cream craving. I find myself craving a diet coke, but have not touched it. Since I have quit the diet coke and all fake sweetners I feel better. No more headaches. ¡ decrease in joint pain and more alert than ever. ai wished I had quit the diet soda years ago.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that and it's not been that way for me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When I drink diet soda I crave cookies and ice cream daily.

When I don't drink diet soda I crave cookies and ice cream daily.

Conclusion: I like sweets. What I drink makes little difference.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    When I drink diet soda I crave cookies and ice cream daily.

When I don't drink diet soda I crave cookies and ice cream daily.

Conclusion: I like sweets. What I drink makes little difference.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda before Thanksgiving. I would still knock every single one of you over to get to the cookies.