How do you dress up your brown rice?

Options
clf1284
clf1284 Posts: 44 Member
I'm adding new foods to my menus to try and shake this plateau I'm stuck on. One of my additions will be brown rice. But normally I add tons of butter and salt to season my rice. Obviously a bad choice. So I was looking for suggestions on how you season yours without adding tons of calories!

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Herb ox makes bouillon (sp?) packets that are "sodium free" - 10 calories, but very flavorful. Mix in the water when you make your rice. If you like butter, use a dab (ie, tsp in a large quantity), butter buds (don't know the sodium on that) or butter flavored spray.
    Also -- garlic powder, onion powder, or spice of choice that complements the meal you are having it with.
  • tamekarobinson1978
    Options
    Brown rice can be really bland but I use chicken or beef broth with with onions & bell peppers and season it with salt and pepper. It's feeling and gives lots of flavor
  • WEBAyahoo2
    WEBAyahoo2 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had the most amazing Fried Brown Rice experience this week.

(I cook my brown rice the saveur.com recommended way with a KNORR Brand bouillon cube and a little sea salt) http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Perfect-Brown-Rice

After cooking it the above recommended way, I added some extra lean ground beef, mixed vegetables, a scrambled egg, onion, sweet pepper and a little soy sauce. (I cooked that on medium heat until the vegetables/onions/peppers were cooked through, stirring with a two prong fork)

It was very good. I must also mention that I used Uncle Bens Whole Grain Natural Brown Rice in the small box, which seemed to cook so much better than other brands I've tried.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance and pepper.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Spices are your friend! I use a low sodium stock, usually vegetable or chicken in place of water when cooking. Depending on what I am serving it with, I will add parsley, minced onion, minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, oregano, dried spinach...anything that adds flavor. You can also make a great Spanish rice by adding a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, cumin and chili powder.
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is making great suggestions, and I'm not sure if this is EXACTLY what you're asking, but I sometimes make what I think of as "sandwich bowls" with brown rice. One of my biggest cravings is big fat deli sandwiches on a gigantic white flour roll or wedge. So I try to recreate some of my favorite sandwiches by taking the ingredients and mixing them into a rice bowl instead of putting them on bread. So I'll do a chicken philly cheesesteak rice bowl where I mix grilled chicken, peppers, onions, and a slice of american cheese into some brown rice, or a chicken parm one with chicken and tomato sauce, etc etc.
  • clf1284
    Options
    These are all awesome suggestions! I'm a big sandwich fan so I'm definitely going to try a rice bowl!
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup base is awesome, if you have an Asian Supermarket near you, you will be amazed at what you will find there.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into making curry? Great source of protein as well!
  • clf1284
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    Veggie soup base is awesome, if you have an Asian Supermarket near you, you will be amazed at what you will find there.
    I live in a small town. My options are a small supermarket and Walmart. :\
  • clf1284
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Have you looked into making curry? Great source of protein as well!

I haven't. The thought has actually never crossed my mind. Hmm, I've definitely been in the mood to try new foods.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    fishnets and really trashy eye makeup.
    With love,
    Burt
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    xsix wrote: »
    I live in a small town. My options are a small supermarket and Walmart. :\

Small towns don't have WalMarts - you are in luck! Sriracha, low sodium soy sauce, and water chestnuts are solid options. Broccoli and Parkay Spray are also good options. If you're a salt fiend like I look into NuSalt or other salt alternatives.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    fishnets and really trashy eye makeup.
    With love,
    Burt

I was thinking itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny bow ties
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind spicy, a little chili oil or sriracha and diced green onion is pretty good
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cook my rice in vegetable broth instead of water. And I like to add a bit of butter, salt, pepper and tomato paste.
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    soya sauce or chinese 5 spices
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash (and the store brand equivalent) seasoning mixes. I have southwest, savory, onion & pepper... and they're all no salt added.

We also use veggie broth or "soup starters".
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    By leaving that mess at the store o.o
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Put brown rice in a bowl... push bowl to the side... order domino's o:)